The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FeatherLite Trailers.

I'm in the market for a new trailer and thinking about buying a Featherlite.
    I would appreciate any and all opinoins.
    I'm torn between the front load and the slant load, I would love to know the pros and cons of each. Thanks.

IMO, FeatherLite is the way to go. I currently have a 1985 2 horse bumper pull. I can't get rid of it because it is in near perfect condition. YES, I'm sure. Have it serviced every year by a knowledgeable trailer mechanic. This year we took the whole thing apart, dropped the floor, checked frame and all underneath. There was a small amount of superficial corrosion on the frame, (frame is steel) and a couple bolts looked rusty, so we fixed it all. The paint is still shiny, and the trailer honestly looks like new when all cleaned up. Even has the original moldings, rubber mats on floors, and detailing. Mechanic has sold similar ones recently, and he said he honestly could sell it for $6000, or would take it in a trade for that when I am ready for another. I so want a new one, but just can't justify it! I should post a pic of it lol.

I can't speak to the ones you mentioned, but I assure you that you won't be disappointed in FeatherLite, unless they have changed the way they make the trailers.

Can't help you with the front load/slant question, as mine is a stock trailer. I bought it for my horse who had been in a trailer accident and Would. Not. go back into something with stalls.

I love my Featherlite. It is well balanced, well made, and hauls beautifully. My only complaint, and this is linked to it being a stock trailer, is that it is loud. When Rudy hopped off it, half the showgrounds would turn around because it sounded like a horse had flipped out in the trailer. It never bothered him, though.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Another appreciative Featherlite owner. I purchased mine new 11 years ago. At first I was a little disappointed because I wanted a 4-Star but they weren't going to be able to deliver the trailer in time for an impending move we were making; so, I "settled". I cannot complain about the trailer in all honesty except for one thing. It has held up well, still looks fairly new, has been well used and well loved (we haul a lot), has only required regular maintenance, nothing more except to replace the dressing room lock after someone tried to break into my trailer but didn't succeed. The only wish or regret I have is that I didn't insist on an escape door in the front of my trailer. I have a 4-horse stock combo with dressing room. I have never needed an escape door but always figured it would be a good idea to have one. My horses load and ride well in this trailer and for the area I live in it's much cooler inside than many of my friends' trailers when it comes to our summers. I tend to use my trailers like my vehicles - until they cannot run any more. While at times I wished I had a two-horse trailer, I wouldn't sell this one. I know I would regret it.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I have a 1986 Featherlite gooseneck that's beautifully made and built like a tank (after 24 years, the aluminum floor doesn't have a single pinhole in it, it's such thick aluminum). My mechanic calls it "The Airstream of Horse Trailers." He does warranty work for the Featherlite dealer. Around 2005 Featherlite was bought out and my mechanic said the newer ones are not built well and he has dealt with many major problems (ie, the top of the gooseneck coming loose from the frame!).

So....pre 2005 (or whenever the buyout happened) Featherlites would be best.

The ones made in the 80s were built when the company was small and are sought after for their quality.

I have a 2000 Featherlite and love it, though it is noisy.

Universal Trailers bought out Featherlite in 2006
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...27/016085.html

Universal also owns Exiss and Sooner horse trailers

http://www.universaltrailer.com/our-trailer-brands/

I can't speak for the new Featherlites; I have a 1996 2H BP which has served me faithfully. Agree with pluvinel, they are noisy. Featherlites also has a good parts department.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

We had a 4 horse head to head Featherlite back in the late 80's, early 90's. No complaints at all, but when we switched to a custom built floor plan we went with 4 Star. Same design from Featherlite was almost $10k more expensive. I do love the 4 Star. JMO
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

love ours though it is 15 years old so can't speak for the newer ones. I have heard from some folks there seemed to be some weld issues with the newer ones. We have the stock model. FL is one of only a few that have torsion axles, which was a big thing that I wanted.

We were trailer shopping a year or two ago now. I can't speak for the older Featherlites, but we ended up with a Sundowner. There were a couple of things that bothered me about the Featherlite we looked at. First - the running boards / side rails / whatever you want to call them - weren't welded all the way down the trailer and easily bent down any time I stepped on it. Didn't seem very sturdy to me. Second - we closed it up and entered through the escape door and kicked in the areas that a horse is going to kick. If it can't withstand a human kick it's not going to withstand a horse kick and you're forever going to be paying to have your trailer fixed. The door didn't bend but it flexed at least an inch - enough that we could see daylight through the crack when it flexed. Neither the Sundowner nor the 4Star budged at all.

Granted, all this isn't to say that this is all Featherlites either... this could have been a new model for them or possibly a lemon that managed to escape quality control at the factory or something... I don't know. Just be sure to test and inspect the entire trailer thoroughly... this is a purchase that should last you a while.

We have an '05 Featherlite 2-Horse, Bumper Pull, Slant Load "Big Horse" edition. We went with slant because at the time, we only had 1 horse who weighed 1460lbs. We felt that there would be more even wear on the ball if we did slant, as opposed to always having 1460lbs wearing towards the left side with nothing to balance out wear on the right.

Also, having been in a wreck involving the trailer that totalled our truck, I have to say that the Featherlite was WONDERFUL. My horse walked off needing only a few stitches to his forehead.

The only trouble we've experienced is blowouts with the stock tires that come with the trailer. They went through a batch it seems that had faulty valves.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    We have an '05 Featherlite 2-Horse, Bumper Pull, Slant Load "Big Horse" edition. We went with slant because at the time, we only had 1 horse who weighed 1460lbs. We felt that there would be more even wear on the ball if we did slant, as opposed to always having 1460lbs wearing towards the left side with nothing to balance out wear on the right.

Also, having been in a wreck involving the trailer that totalled our truck, I have to say that the Featherlite was WONDERFUL. My horse walked off needing only a few stitches to his forehead.

The only trouble we've experienced is blowouts with the stock tires that come with the trailer. They went through a batch it seems that had faulty valves.
    we went through tire blowouts too a couple years ago....the problem there was the tires of course. This was long after the trailer purchase. It was bad. We had a couple tires bulge at nearly new when we replaced balding old ones: one blew and one almost did (was just pulling out of the driveway on that one, thankfully). I took them back in to the tire place. They ordered replacements. Those ones didn't even get off the rim mounting thing in the shop before they bulged and the guy at the tire store was shocked. He was understanding when I wanted them replaced with a different brand!

I an on Featherlite Number Three. I tend to vote with my dollars.

It's ten years old and does not look brand new. But it's been a "working trailer" for these ten years and has been as far afield as Nebaska, North Dakota, Kansas, and Texas.

Quality can wax and wane in any brand. It can even vary from trailer to trailer (the ones made on Monday sometimes being problematical ). Be sure to shop with a flashlight and in clothes you don't mind getting dirty so you can examine construction quality in places "where the Sun doesn't shine."

I did this ten years ago and picked Featherlite over Sundowner mostly on the basis of construction quality. I don't know if I would make the same decision today, but I've not really looked at either brand (their new offereings, that is) in some time.

G.