The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When is the best time to spray pastures for weeds?

I think my pastures will be ready to cut by the first of May. I have a few weed species growing out there and I don't want them in my hay. One is willd mustard, one is a short, purple weed that only grows in spring, and one is the weed the is sort of hard to describe. It looks like a thistley type of weed but some have thistles and some don't. They grow up and the seed heads get tall. I will try to post pics. Is now an ok time to spray for them? I have orchard, fescue and white clover pastures. TIA!!!!

If the weeds you want to target are growing, then it's time to spray them. I go after the mustard plants in very early May, usually, and after 5 years have them just about licked. I spray again in late June for the assortment of hot weather weeds that crop up, and sometimes once more to get the false dandelion in late summer.
    Click here before you buy.

you should spray before the plants are 3 inches tall...you can spray now but once you see "the colors" it's kinda too late for the broadleaf....you will also bump your clover back but the stand should stay up if your %'s are good

Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    I think my pastures will be ready to cut by the first of May. I have a few weed species growing out there and I don't want them in my hay. One is willd mustard, one is a short, purple weed that only grows in spring, and one is the weed the is sort of hard to describe. It looks like a thistley type of weed but some have thistles and some don't. They grow up and the seed heads get tall. I will try to post pics. Is now an ok time to spray for them? I have orchard, fescue and white clover pastures. TIA!!!!
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

The purple you're seeing this spring is probably henbit, which is a winter weed. Target your winter weeds in Dec/Jan before they start flowering or seeding out. If you spray after the seeds have spread, you'll kill the mature weed but the seeds will cause them to come back again next year. So the earlier you can get them, the better! Target your summer weeds in May/June
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!