The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ranitidine vs Omeprazole

I searched here but couldn't see anything that talked about the difference in the two.

Which would you use for what?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Ranitidine is probably about 1/3 to 1/2 as strong as omeprazole in terms of blocking acid production. They work by slightlyndifferent mechanisms.

Ranitidine needs to be dosed three times daily to work effectively, whereas omeprazole works well in a once-daily dose.

I would consider ranitidine for maintenance if I could find an inexpensive source and if I had a means of dosing it 3x per day--not really feasible with my current setup but could work in a full service boarding arrangement or in a place where a caretaker could feed the stuff that frequently.
    Click here before you buy.

FWIW, a surgeon (DVM) with whom I was dicsussing ranitidine recently said they dose q 12 h. in hospitalized animals and feel it works reasonably well.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Ive used it at q12hrs as well...seemed to work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    FWIW, a surgeon (DVM) with whom I was dicsussing ranitidine recently said they dose q 12 h. in hospitalized animals and feel it works reasonably well.
    Is that for the "cure", or prevention?

My vet recommends it 2x/day when on bute (though she will also say 3x would be better, but thinks 2x is just fine)

My vet said for treatment purposes, ranitidine needed to be given every 8 hours in order to approach the same effectiveness as Gastroguard given once every 24 hours.

For prevention, he is fine with 2x day at feeding time.

My mare doesn't have active ulcers. She's young and gets stressed in a show setting so I use ranitidine twice a day starting a couple days before a show and continuing a couple days after. This has made a huge difference in the horse.

For a horse with active ulcers my vet recommends 3 times a day. For maintenance purposes 2 times a day is sufficient. I've had a few horses that have come in after spending time at the vet school for various reasons and they are usually on the twice a day schedule by the time they are released from the hospital.

When my mare had ulcers my vet had me dose ranitidine 2x daily, I saw results within a few days. After a few weeks she was a different horse and the ulcers have not come back. He said he would prefer every 8 hours but being at a boarding barn it was impossible to get it to her that often, so the every 12 hours had to do, and it worked just fine.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

So....what is the dose you all are giving 2 or 3 times a day?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

3mg/lb is the dosage each time.

The difference is in how they deal with the acid in the stomach...and the best explanation is in the little dosage and information leaflets that come in the human products.

Omeprazole turns off the "faucet" that produces the acid. It should not be given for too long a period of time as the body can become dependent. It is more expen$ive but, then again, you don't use it for very long. Most use it as a first step in reducing acid.

Ranitidine neutralizes the acid in the stomach after it has been produced. It can be given more regularly. It is less expensive to downright reasonable. Most follow an initial 14 day course of Omeprazole with daily Ranitidine. After a few months you can take them off and see how they do and most seem to do fine with just the Ranitidine if they need a follow up.

Dosage and frequency of the Ranitidine can vary and that should be something discussed with your vet. And, off course, your mileage may vary.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've never heard of the dosage being anything other than 3mg/lb. What else have you seen?

Given that it only lasts for about 8 hours, there are limitations to how un-frequently it can be dosed. Less than twice a day is almost useless.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Omeprazole turns off the "faucet" that produces the acid. It should not be given for too long a period of time as the body can become dependent. It is more expen$ive but, then again, you don't use it for very long. Most use it as a first step in reducing acid.

Ranitidine neutralizes the acid in the stomach after it has been produced.

Ranitidine is an H2 blocker which decreases acid production. It does nothing to neutralize stomach acid.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Ranitidine neutralizes the acid in the stomach after it has been produced.
    100% incorrect. Ranitidine works on the same cells as omeprazole, just on a slightly different part of the acid-producing pathway.

Having used a human version and dose of omeprazole I can tell you the relief is so complete compared to merely taking more TUMS as an ant-acid. It made me feel truly well. If horses get that kind of relief, I do understand.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    100% incorrect. Ranitidine works on the same cells as omeprazole, just on a slightly different part of the acid-producing pathway.
    OK, my bad (that is the way I heard it when it was explained to me)...so I can ask how come one is so much more expensive and the other is recommended as safe to be given over a longer period of time?

Sure had quicker and more complete results with the Omeprazole on my old horse. But vet wanted the other over the long term.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ranitidine does not require the super-secret-formula carrier that omeprazole does to protect it from stomach acid, and can be given in humble pill form. The omeprazole itself is dirt cheap, it's the patented carrier that is making Merial its billions.

As to long term safety, I'm not aware of gigantic differences between the two in horses, sorry. There are a few caveats for long term use of PPIs (like omeprazole) in humans, but nothing that's really tremendously relevant to horses, AFAIK, other than the potential for rebound acid hypersecretion when long-term, high dose PPIs are abruptly stopped.