The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Deep Impact? Unbeaten (at the time) Japanese triple crown winner?
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
    Deep Impact? Unbeaten (at the time) Japanese triple crown winner?
    Yes! Thank you

I'm curious - from this UK Daily Mail article (Mar 20th): "Black Caviar in the form of her life ahead of 24th straight win bid, says trainer Moody" - there is this photo of her in her stall:

Image - what is on her front legs? - They're not shaved but it looks almost like silly putty.

Post Positions (again) for Friday's race

In hopes tomorrow is not her last career start and of course to boost wagering interest Aussie wagering shop Unibet is putting up a $1M AU for BC and race mare More Joyous meet in the Royal Randwick - held next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    I'm curious - from this UK Daily Mail article (Mar 20th): "Black Caviar in the form of her life ahead of 24th straight win bid, says trainer Moody" - there is this photo of her in her stall:

Image - what is on her front legs? - They're not shaved but it looks almost like silly putty.

In hopes tomorrow is not her last career start and of course to boost wagering interest Aussie wagering shop Unibet is putting up a $1M AU for BC and race mare More Joyous meet in the Royal Randwick - held next month.

It looks like a clay based poultice.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    It looks like a clay based poultice.
    Most appreciated!

By the way bad news as I was incorrect on TVG airing the race. They will not air on tv live this one. Rather its only available on-line via their tvg.com site which I believe requires an account, et al.

Sorry about that folks! Although by the time that the morning tv-news programs are on the replays will be found.

She is on the course... race is about to start!

She is looking fantabulous! Would love to be there watching her. Atmosphere looks insane and a full crowd under lights at Moonee Valley.

Haven't found any written down but there seemed to be some talk about her heading back to England to race.

P.

WOOOOTTTT! Beautiful race! She won by 4 lengths and made it look so easy! I do have a connection to Fawkner who came in 3rd. Not really his distance but had to give him a shout out to him!

P.

2 members found this post helpful.

YAY!!!!! So glad she won, but more imprtantly that she is okay.

She is a pretty chilled out mare. Just finished a sprint, there are 25 000 people screaming and she's walking flat foot past everyone with just her strapper back to her stall.

Did have a laugh that they are now selling advertising on her starting stall blanket :P

Oh and if you are keeping track that was Group 1 win # 14.

P.

And I did find an article about her possibly returning to England to take on the King's Stand Stakes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/hor...ck-Caviar.html

P.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the link, GG.

Just another day in the park!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thank you, Glimmerglass, for providing a link for those of us in TVG challenged areas.

And thanks Polydor for providing prompt results.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Most excellent race!! She looked fantastic. At the final turn I had a flashback to Rachel Alexandras races, the way BC sits just by the leader and then....pow, she slides away.

Fantastic mare, so fun to watch. Thanks for the link Glim.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

She always makes it look so easy. I thought I was going to miss the race being that I'm stuck at the farm with a pregnant mare that is determined to hold out as long as she possibly can. Thankfully twinspires offered it live

A slightly clearer video - 2013 Hacer Group William Reid Stakes win number 24 for Nelly.

Also ...

Video: Channel Ten's post-race news segment with assorted on-site discussions and reflection back. Looks like it was the place to be.

Photo AAP: Darren McNamara - with Nelly in hand, William Reid Stakes

Photo Getty Images: leaving the field in the stretch

Photo Getty Images: post race thumbs up from Luke on Nelly

There was a profit to be made for some. One Sportsbet punter plonked $500,000 on Black Caviar, for a $15,000 profit.

Bookmaker Anthony Doughty said the hype around the race was "fantastic".

"Financially, it wasn't the best night for bookmakers, but it's just great to be a part of this Australian racing milestone," he said.

He said one punter plunged $70,000 on the nose on Black Caviar at $1.03 odds moments before the race.

Another placed a $20,000 bet with him on the superstar mare.

"The surprising bet was $1000 on the 11-year-old Good Ba Ba," he said.
    While this was mentioned as perhaps a final race it appears her next is slated to be the $1 million TJ Smith (1,200m) at Randwick on April 13, a race she won two years ago against great rival Hay List. Plus a lot of pushing is out there to go back to Royal Ascot however the chances are slim to none IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Likely it's Numatozine (sp?), which is a medicated (and awesome!) poultice. It's pinkish and very goopy, almost like gum.

What a race she ran! She looks like she's running in slow motion and you don't realize how fast she's going until you see the horses behind her struggling all out. She's just incredible. Part of me wishes she'd retired because I don't want her to get beat, but I'm so glad her owners are letting the world enjoy her as long as she's happy and healthy. That would be amazing if she could run in the US or in Europe again, she really has nothing left to prove in Australia.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Its interesting to me how many outstanding mares we've seen in the last few years - Zenyatta, Rachel, Goldikova and now Black Caviar. And perhaps a few others that escape my mind at the moment. Maybe its because the colts are hustled off the track to the breeding shed, but in any case a lot of great "girl power".
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Ho Hum. Another paid workout for Black Caviar in a GI race.

Did she ever even extend herself? It doesn't look like it.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Rather fascinating discussions on BC and going back to Royal Ascot (March 24, 2013):

connections of Black Caviar said in the aftermath of the victory that a return to the scene of her narrow head defeat of Moonlight Cloud in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes was under consideration.

However, that trip could hinge on a potential meeting with Frankel in his new role as a stallion.

Frankel covering Black Caviar would cause worldwide interest, and co-owner Gary Wilkie, quoted in an article on Racing Network, said: "The only reason you would go to Royal Ascot is that you are going to go to Frankel.

"We're not going to Royal Ascot if we can't go to Frankel. That's the issue not all the other bits and pieces. We have got a lot of decisions to make."
    Seems like the British Racing officials better get to it with persuading those in charge to make room on Frankel's schedule ... and the bookmakers should ante up the hefty breeding fee if it means Nelly returns to Royal Ascot