The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Oh and she's getting inducted into the Aussie Hall of Fame, too

Next week, she is expected to be announced as an inductee to the Australian racing Hall of Fame, the first active racehorse to be so honored since Sunline in 2002.

Post time in the United States, for her 23rd start is 12:30 a.m. Eastern Saturday morning.
    Thanks for this, and all the additional info, GG. Now, to see if I can wake back up by then!

And wow - the bee story! But not clear, was that 4 days after arriving, or after the race?!? Horrific!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be watching.

Number 23 in the bag - and a course record, to boot.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Black-C...9/Default.aspx

2 members found this post helpful.

Such a great mare.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

1 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful to watch!

May as well make my first post here

Track record without even trying. Fabulous mare.

3 members found this post helpful.

Welcome, Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit!

I was just watching the replay, and the comments beforehand mentioned that Black Caviar takes 24 strides to each furlong, while the average horse takes 30-34 strides per furlong!

Thanks

It is the name I use for everything on the Internet. Just watched the replay again. Love this mare!

Wow. Lovely race, lovely mare; seems nothing can touch her.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Bloodhorse - Feb 22, 2013: "Black Caviar Inducted Into Australian HOF" - (held Feb. 21st)

[BC] .. joins two-time W.S. Cox Plate (Aus-I) winner and three-time Australian Horse of the Year Sunline as the only other horse in training to be enshrined.

A 13-time group I winner and two-time Australian Horse of the Year trained by Peter Moody, Black Caviar was one of 10 racing greats in the 2013 induction class, joining three other horses, two jockeys, a trainer, and three associates when honored during ceremonies at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne.

The high point of the evening came when inaugural Hall of Fame member Carbine, who carried a record 66 kilograms (145 pounds) to victory in the 1890 Melbourne Cup, was elevated to Legend status alongside Phar Lap, Makybe Diva, Bart Cummings, Arthur 'Scobie' Breasley, and Tommy Smith.

Race start #24 has come up quicker than expected: (Mar 18, 2013) "will put her unbeaten record on the line in the $400,000 William Reid Stakes (Aus-I) March 22"

If she is successful it will mean 14 Australian Grade 1s which is what Kingston Town did three decades ago.

Kingston Town's record, achieved in the early 1980s, includes an unprecedented three W. S. Cox Plate victories (1980-82). The world record for graded or group I wins on the flat is 16, also accomplished in the early 1980s by two-time North American Horse of the Year John Henry.

Black Caviar's trainer, Peter Moody, was recently hospitalized with blood poisoning but said he is in fine fettle now and looking forward to the 1,200-meter (about six-furlong) William Reid. He will wrap up her final preparations Tuesday.
    (Entries/PP) She will face six rivals - she is PP 6 - in the Hacer Group William Reid Stakes; Race 4

I fully expect TVG to air the race live.

Glimmer, if TVG does air it, when will it be on? You know, for those of us who can't remember the time difference between the US and Australia? Shoot, I'll probably just record EVERYTHING again like last time. My husband WILL survive.

Quote Originally Posted by elsbet View Post
    Glimmer, if TVG does air it, when will it be on? You know, for those of us who can't remember the time difference between the US and Australia? Shoot, I'll probably just record EVERYTHING again like last time. My husband WILL survive.
    It goes off at 9:55 PM in Australia, so probably around 6:55 AM for the East coast.

I think.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

If you don't have TVG I'm certain the race replay will be up on multiple accounts with youtube ... last time about five replays were posted within 20-minutes of her crossing the finishline

Interesting stat for Australian racing: "Black Caviar could potentially start the shortest Group 1 favourite in 50 years"

The world champion sprinter has been listed as the $1.04 favourite in early TAB fixed odds betting for the $400,000 William Reid Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley.

If the great mare remains at those odds, or possibly even firms, she will start the shortest favourite in a Group 1 race for more than 50 years.

The shortest odds she has started in her unbeaten 23-race career is $1.05 - which bookies have bet six times in her last nine starts.

The only horse to start at shorter odds in a Group 1 race was Ajax at $1.02 (40/1 on) in the 1939 Rawson Stakes - and in a famous upset he was beaten by Spear Chief.
    The Moonee Valley Racing Club is expecting up to 25,000 at Friday night's ticket-only meeting which is expected to be Black Caviar's last race in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
    It goes off at 9:55 PM in Australia, so probably around 6:55 AM for the East coast.

I think.
    TVG talked about the race - they will air it live - and yes they said it was 3:55 a.m. Pacific Standard Time Friday morning for the US. So eastern would be 6:55 am which isn't too bad.

I don't remember what horse it was, but I do remember setting my alarm to get up to watch a Japanese race several years ago. Looks like I will be doing it again. 3:55, really?

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    I don't remember what horse it was, but I do remember setting my alarm to get up to watch a Japanese race several years ago.
    The late Tin Cup Chalice (d. 2009) perhaps? He raced in the Japan Cup Dirt (JPN-G1) at the end of 2008. Although I thought that particular race went off late in the States - around 1am vs. "early" Either way - yes Nelly will be running around coffee time Friday morning in the US.

No it was a Japanese horse that was going for a record, I've been trying to remember who it was all day. It would have been late 2004 early 2005. I had non racing guests staying with me and they thought I was certifiable