The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    Sure looks like Nolan was unclear where the wire was...
    What an amazing horse to gear back up and go on for him.
    In all her races in Aus, he stops riding before the line and she keeps on going in cruise control. You can't do that at Ascot because of the uphill finish, you take your foot of the gas and the horse decelerates. The way she found a smidgen more when he realised his mistake in those last three strides, man did she ever bail him out.

I love the video footage of Federation Square in Melbourne...reminds me of New Years in Times Square in the US. If only horse racing here was a celebrated as "over there" What fun!
    Cindy

BC definitely looked off in her right front leg as she was jogging back If she was hurting during the race, I am more impressed.

I hope it is something small and she will be fine in a couple of days.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Thanks for the news, CoTHers! Would some kind person help this old fogey by putting up a link? I'd love to see the race.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

"No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Thank you, Harvest Moon!

I hope the mare cooled out well. She's a game one.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

even if he hadnt momentarily stopped riding she wouldnt have won easily - maybe half a length at most. it was a bit of an anticlimax after all the hype. it could be that the Australians underestimated the strength of the European sprinters,9(coupled with the soft going and tough 6f) she looked fantastic before the race - tbh I thought she didnt look at all sound when trotting past the stands afterwards but assumed I was imagining it
    horses for courses and all that - yes she won and noone can take that away but the connections didnt look exactly overjoyed afterwards -think they were anticipating a massacre of the opposition

That's a race people will still be talking about a hundred years from now. We should all feel fortunate to have seen it!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Saw a comment that BC had come out of the race injured. She's shipping back to Australia immediately and has probably run her last race.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I hope she's not injured/retiring, but if she is she had an exceptional career and I'm sure we've all enjoyed watching her run
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Thank you, Harvest Moon!

I hope the mare cooled out well. She's a game one.
    You're welcome.

Here's another extended version with more from after the race/winner's circle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5464...eature=related
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    BC definitely looked off in her right front leg as she was jogging back If she was hurting during the race, I am more impressed.

I hope it is something small and she will be fine in a couple of days.
    I was wondering the same thing, but hoped it was an odd camera angle.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I thought she looked off too.
    I wonder that he didn't misjudge or misride at all, but felt her bottom out a bit and let her finish as she could?!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Australian sprinters have an outstanding record in these ascot races and she is actually lengths better than all of Australia's previous winners over the last 10 years or so. Certainly well below her best but still had enough speed in hand to win.

She has an off-set knee and has has been prone to soreness throughout her career. I think she comes back for another prep but as a rising 6yo+ may lose her far superior top-end speed and brilliance.

Sunday June 24th:The Telegraph: "Black Caviar injured after her narrow win at Royal Ascot though owner insists she will not be retired"

Moody had the mare thoroughly examined last night and again this morning and reported that no career-ending injuries were found.

"She is very tender up in her hind quarters but it is restricted to soft tissue damage," the trainer said. " We gave her precautionary X-rays and had her scanned and the vets said everything looked ok on that front, but the chiropractor said that she is quite sore and tender behind.

"They are all injuries she has sustained before, so it is not unusual, She has torn her quad muscle before and it will not be the finish of her. She is very flat this morning and will now have a couple of weeks' rest. It is the tightest I have seen her after a race, though she has never travelled this far before."

Moody said Black Caviar would go into quarantine this morning and will be reassessed when she gets home in four weeks' time.

Worth noting is that despite her being in quarantine she will get help:

Tweet from an Aussie commentator

Black Caviar will enter quarantine in 20 minutes where she can be treated for muscle tears. She does 14 days at quarantine in UK then flies home.
    Photo: BC Sunday morning over her stall - she cleaned up her tub

Alas her connections do say she likely ran in pain during the race. A determined tough mare, given a poor ride, and in pain yet victorious - remarkable.

Perhaps the best photo of all HRH The Queen meeting Black Caviar

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    I love the video footage of Federation Square in Melbourne...reminds me of New Years in Times Square in the US. If only horse racing here was a celebrated as "over there" What fun!
    Once upon a time 'twas. Here's a clip of clip of Dr. Fager in the '67 Gotham. Check out that parking lot behind the far turn. And this for a Kentucky Derby subprep! I've been to two Wood Memorials in the last five years and in neither case was the parking lot half so full!
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Alas her connections do say she likely ran in pain during the race. A determined tough mare, given a poor ride, and in pain yet victorious - remarkable.
    Absolutely. Wasn't home when she ran, so had to replay it - but fortunately that meant fast forwarding through most of John McCririck's nonsense.

From The Australian today:

"Nolen's decision to allow the mare to relax only became a point of discussion because the horse was sore. Given the chance for relief from the pain in her back, Black Caviar eased quicker than she ever has under Nolen. But Nolen still got her to the line first. If it was not his finest ride, it was Nolen's finest hour. He immediately acknowledged he had jeopardised Black Caviar's winning record and took full responsibility. That is an uncommon human trait."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226408287087
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    From The Australian today:

"...If it was not his finest ride, it was Nolen's finest hour. He immediately acknowledged he had jeopardised Black Caviar's winning record and took full responsibility. That is an uncommon human trait."
    From what I watched initially with interviews Nolen wasn't willing to suggest he did anything wrong whatsoever. That changed more so when he saw the replay and the focus was on what was he thinking.

Racing Post (UK): "The blunder from Down Under! Black Caviar wins despite jockey error"

"I probably underestimated the testing track of Ascot," he said. "It is quite unfortunate because it is going to over-shadow what was a good win. I under estimated the straight six here. It was pilot error but I got away with it."