The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

As a fan I just want to see her ship to England so I'll keep an eye on her ... and she returns this Saturday (2/11/12) in the 1400m Group 1 CF Orr Stakes at Caulfield. Note the distance as of 17 starts 13 of them have been at 1200m. There is some concern with this race for its distance and competition, but it should make her that much stronger.

This has to be one of those newsroom headlines too good to pass up and no its not quite what you think:

AAP: Feb 6, 2012 "God No Match For Black Caviar"

Perth trainer Neville Parnham is flying Playing God across the Nullabor for the Orr Stakes but has already conceded that he can't stop the winning run of Black Caviar.

"I am looking forward to Saturday but obviously he is not going to beat her," Parnham said.

He said Playing God, tuned up with a barrier trial win at Ascot on Monday, had the St George Stakes (1800m) on February 25 and the Australian Cup (2000m) on March 10 as his premier autumn targets.

"So long as he runs an even race and is working to the line like a miler and middle distance horse should do on Saturday, I will be happy," Parnham said.
    After this she will Futurity Stakes on February 27 in Oz and "50/50" for Dubai's $2 million Group 1 Golden Shaheen.

Her connections are eying a unique bonus: an additional $1 million bonus for a horse that wins in three countries, part of the Global Sprint Challenge.

Jay Hovdey Feb 8, 2012 "Australia's most talked-about female is Black Caviar"

Quite understandably, Down Under sports fans only recently recovered from the Australian Open are in a tizzy. Black Caviar has become a national institution, one whose owners have promised to take her on the road this spring to Royal Ascot in England if all continues to go well.

Black Caviar also is a sprinter who has never run beyond six furlongs (1,200 meters), which means the seven furlongs of the Orr will represent uncharted territory. According to the Australian wagering website backawinner.com, the Orr “is rarely won by sprinting stars and instead the winners of past Orr Stakes tend to be middle-distance horses or true stayers who start their autumn campaigns in this race.”

Does this make Black Caviar vulnerable? Her trainer, Peter Moody, does not sound all that worried. In a report provided by this correspondent’s man in Australia, Ballina Jockey Club president Robert Jemison, the Herald-Sun reported Moody saying the biggest Orr Stakes danger to Black Caviar “was that she might fall asleep,” since the 1,400-meter start is just 20 meters from her stall.

What are her odds right now for the 18th start on Saturday? TAB Sportsbet yesterday opened Black Caviar at $1.04 to win the C.F. Orr Stakes.

OK, so speaking of sleep, would that be another 4am EST start time on Saturday?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yep - another crack of dawn race for us in the States.

As for hopes of her racing in the US with the Breeders' Cup that is a no. Why? Not enough money offered

Moody said he had been flooded with inquiries from all over the world for Black Caviar to appear at carnivals, and a French film crew would follow her trackwork next week.

He said a Breeders Cup start in the US was unlikely because of relatively poor stakemoney.
    I'm reminded of the infamous quote in 1990 by supermodel Linda Evangelista, "We don't wake up for less than $10000 a day."

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Yep - another crack of dawn race for us in the States.

As for hopes of her racing in the US with the Breeders' Cup that is a no. Why? Not enough money offered
    Hmph.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Interesting he would claim that the money isn't big enough, as the BC Turf Sprint ($1m) is worth almost as much as the two races she is likely to run in at Ascot combined (£300k and £400k, for a total for $1.1m), and she'd only have to run once at Santa Anita as opposed to twice in 4 days at Ascot.
    Now, granted the profile and prestige of the Kings Stand G1 and Golden Jubilee G1 at Ascot is waaaay higher than the still somewhat new BC Turf Sprint, which was only just upgraded from a G3 to a G2. Also like most Aussie visitors she is probably having her travel expenses paid to Ascot, so that may be a factor too. Don't think the BC does that. Maybe they should throw her a carrot.

Default Time for the race on HRTV

I just saw the following on HRTV's FB site,

"HRTV
    Black Caviar looks to extend her 17 win streak tonight in the CF Orr Stakes at Caulfield. HRTV will show the race slightly tape delayed at 12:00 a.m. ET Saturday morning/9:00 p.m. PT Friday evening, following the re-air of Pursuit.'"

That's a bit confusing, unless the race is early in the card...and I've seen confusion on posted times for the odd race on racing channels.

Then I just got this off of the Adelaide.now site Glimmerglass quoted above for the odds...but now is that South Australia time, or Victoria time? (I should know - I actually lived there for a year many moons ago!)

"TAB Sportsbet yesterday opened Black Caviar at $1.04 to win the C.F. Orr Stakes, run at 3.50pm on Saturday, with Southern Speed at $15."

Just checked the world clock online, Adelaide is a half hour behind Sydney...Sydney is 16 hours ahead of our EST...phew.

Think I'll PM Polydor...!

Either way, I guess that HRTV time sounds right if they are 16 hrs ahead...
    Last edited by CVPeg; Feb. 10, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

CVPeg - yep my bad with the time. However the result is good for all as it isn't the wee small hours that Frank Sinatra sang about

The Post time/USA: Fri, 11:50pm ET

Past Performances for the Program - this will be Race SIX

TVG will air it live ....

Well, Polydor responded "this morning"...

The time is 3:50 Victoria time, and they are 16 hrs ahead.

She has a connection to Southern Speed, so is a little torn!

Thanks so much for the PPs, Glimmerglass, and after watching on TVG, will play Frank to top it off.

Morning everyone!

Should be a fun day. Would looooove to be there to cheer on Caviar and Southern Speed ( winner of the Caulfield Cup).

It is suppose to be raining but don't think that is going to stop the crowds at all specially with the free admission.

Can't wait for 3: 20pm ( adelaide time)

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Interesting he would claim that the money isn't big enough, as the BC Turf Sprint ($1m) is worth almost as much as the two races she is likely to run in at Ascot combined (£300k and £400k, for a total for $1.1m), and she'd only have to run once at Santa Anita as opposed to twice in 4 days at Ascot.
    Now, granted the profile and prestige of the Kings Stand G1 and Golden Jubilee G1 at Ascot is waaaay higher than the still somewhat new BC Turf Sprint, which was only just upgraded from a G3 to a G2. Also like most Aussie visitors she is probably having her travel expenses paid to Ascot, so that may be a factor too. Don't think the BC does that. Maybe they should throw her a carrot.
    I hope so! *fingers crossed*
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

thanks guys. I was really confused about the time, but DVR is programed now!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Holy smokes... look at the crowd!!!

Will someone please give this mare a real race!!
    Another canter in park for her. Jockey motionless. Waltzed home.
    Getting silly at this point.

Well yet another walk in the park for Ms Black Caviar!

Well done with Southern Speed! Was hoping for a little bit closer but very happy with Ms Speedy.

Amazed to hear that Caviar takes 8 lengths less then other horses over 200 m!!

Also crowd is over 25K most likely 30K and its not a major race day at all!

P.

Trainer says she could be back next weekend and the following weekend (gotta love those Aussies running back in a week).
    The other horses better start running now.

Ascot's Queen Anne Stakes - Frankel v. Black Caviar? Doubtful but ..

the [bookies have already looked at the] prospect of a potential clash with Sir Henry Cecil's colt in the Queen Anne Stakes.

Coral quotes 4-6 ($1.50) about Frankel and 11-10 ($2.10) about Black Caviar in the match bet.

"Black Caviar looked every bit as good over seven furlongs as she has over shorter distances, and as far as we're concerned it's not a question of if she wins the Diamond Jubilee Stakes, but by how far, if that is her target at the Royal meeting," Coral spokesman David Stevens said.

"However, a showdown with Frankel would be every racing fan's dream, and over the mile of the Queen Anne, we would only just favour the British colt."
    It would be one heck of a race to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Will someone please give this mare a real race!!
    Another canter in park for her. Jockey motionless. Waltzed home.
    Getting silly at this point.
    Exactly! Even her trainer admits "she's never been truly pushed."

Hard to call her the best in the world unless she runs against others in her class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Hard to call her the best in the world unless she runs against others in her class.
    Australia is generally considered to have the best grass sprinters in the world. She has easily trounced every thing she has faced in Australia. So, she has every claim to be best in the world in her class, sprinting on the green stuff.