The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Very odd watching them run that way too.
    I'm glad somebody else said that! I thought it was just me.

I don't follow racing much, but she seems to have amassed an amazing record. Is she a phenomenal superhorse, or does she have genius connections who manage her starts very carefully? Or is it a combination of both?

How would she compare to great horses of the past?

Good on her!

She's just in a class by herself.

Hope she does, too, Polydor!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I'm glad somebody else said that! I thought it was just me.

I don't follow racing much, but she seems to have amassed an amazing record. Is she a phenomenal superhorse, or does she have genius connections who manage her starts very carefully? Or is it a combination of both?

How would she compare to great horses of the past?
    She's in a class by herself but her trainer ( Peter Moody) has done an amazing job with her and taking into account her conformation ( her known bad front legs) and won't run her on wet tracks. I think through most of her career Peter has had the final say on what race she goes for though I think he was some what pushed to go to UK last year.

I just bought the Black Caviar book today so you guys will most likely get some more facts

Not sure how she would compared to the past great horses but she has won the most money ever for a sprinter ( $ 8 million)

CVPeg: Well keep doing a rain dance for Brisbane and she should be coming to Adelaide instead lol
    P.

While exceedingly remote I do still hope the Breeders' Cup folks try and make a better case for why they should think about bringing Nelly to the States. As cited before the 25th victory was a "win and you're in" race. It's unclear which race is up next for her:

Owned by a partnership and trained by Peter Moody, Black Caviar’s next start is uncertain. One possibility is the $420,000 BTC Cup over about six furlongs at Eagle Farm Racecourse near Brisbane on May 11. The race was originally scheduled for Doomben Racecourse but has been switched to the larger Eagle Farm in anticipation of a bumper crowd.

With the win on Saturday, Black Caviar earned a fees-paid berth to the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint at Santa Anita in November as part of the Breeders’ Cup Win and You’re In program. There has been no indication from her owners or trainer that Black Caviar is bound for the United States.

If she went back to race at Ascot and got bred to Frankel during her stay in England, could she still race at the Breeders' Cup in November?

Not to say that they will choose to do all those things with her, but is it possible as far as quarantines, etc.?

I wouldn't hold out much hope for her showing up at SA for the BC.
    Her connections are pretty cagey, and they spot her very carefully, can't see them sending her down the idiosyncratic SA downhill Turf course. Plus, the BC Turf Sprint is not a very prestigious race. It's fairly new, and only became a G1 last year. It doesn't even attract the best Euro sprinters yet.

If she has to stay in Europe till Sept to be bred to Frankel, and they want to keep her racing, then a crack at either the Prix de l'Abbaye (5f) or Prix de la Foret (7f), both on Arc weekend (first weekend in Oct), and both prestigious G1 races in their own right, would seem more likely. But I think in all likelihood she will retire from racing after Ascot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    She's in a class by herself but her trainer ( Peter Moody) has done an amazing job with her and taking into account her conformation ( her known bad front legs) ...
    What is wrong with her front legs?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    What is wrong with her front legs?
    Her front leg conformation isn't to flash. It is one of the main reason she was sold as a yearling ( for $200K) instead of being kept. Believe she is offset and if you watch her in the mounting yard and get a front on view you can tell.

Her strapper/groom use to stand her in freezing water after every morning work.

I would love to see her go to USA but highly doubt it would happen. Moody made a comment about " wouldn't it be great to see her back here next year..." but kinda doubt that would happen either but hey never know!

P.

Well, she's retired. It would have been fun to see her do a bit more, but it's nice that they wanted her to finish on a good note.

http://www.races.com.au/2013/04/17/b...ne-says-moody/

Yes, just saw it on her FB page. Am sure bittersweet for so many. Would have loved to be Down Under the past year or so. Sorry she's not coming to Adelaide one more time, Polydor! But it's certainly been a ride. And wonderful to watch.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

So sad to hear her retiring but glad she is going out on a big win, sound and feeling great. I know Moody has always stressed how much work it is to keep her sound and going well and the last race did probably take a lot out of her since Luke had to ride her harder then normal so that they didn't box her in.

As I said in other thread, really really wanted to see her in Adelaide but more importantly in Ascot to really show the world what she's all about.

Here are some of the pics I took last year when she was in Adelaide. Sorry it's a FB link. Should be public.
    Nelly in Adelaide pics

P.

I see no regrets on ending it as they have. Congrats to her and her connections. It's been a damn fine run, never ducking a thing, and always putting her best effort forward. A well deserved retirement!

A career of going 25-0, the most Group 1-AUS victories, and a boat load of winnings

3 members found this post helpful.

One heck of a great ride for the partners in addition to the travel:

The 6-year-old Bel Esprit mare swept all 25 of her career starts, including 15 Group 1 events. She bankrolled $7,497,754 while earning both Horse of the Year and champion sprinter honors in Australia in 2011 and 2012.

Moody purchased Black Caviar for about $197,337 out of the Swettenham Stud consignment at the 2008 Inglis Melbourne Premier yearling sale.
    What about that date with Frankel? It appears to be dim for now:

Since Black Caviar will not race at this year's Royal Ascot meeting, it is more likely that she will remain in Australia to be covered by a stallion in her home country.

"We've got a bit of time," Werrett said.
    Maybe they'll use Animal Kingdom.

Pretty good return on their investment.

Even if she never has a foal, but hopefully she will.

Thanks for a great ride, Nelly, and Mr. Moody? Good on you for such great care! What a wonderful career and what fun to watch along with the rest of the world.

A true champion, retiring sound. Can't think of a better ending.

Looks like she is adjusting well to life on the farm:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226645892002

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ejm View Post

Great story!! I love the ending, (spoiler alert), about the big hairy bum. The photo of her standing with her tongue out getting a forehead rub is so sweet. Happy retirement BC!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Maybe they'll use Animal Kingdom.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_di...41541291035665

That would make an interesting and refreshingly clean cross (only AK's own inbreeding to Lyphard and Black Caviar's to Vain.)

One of the articles posted mentioned her connections saying they will breed her to a known producer. They have a "handful" picked out but have not made the final decision yet. Since no names were given i don't have a clue who might be her date.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by ejm View Post

Thanks for the link. What a great mare!
    I think I'll go to youtube now and watch her races again.