The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 281
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2009
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Not a breeder here, but would they really take the mare, in racing fitness, to the breeding shed without some type of let down time, making sure her innards are working properly, etc?

    OR would they take her there, let her unwind and do a later breeding?

    Have to say that the concept of BC/Frankel could make me drool...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........



  2. #242
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Posts
    4,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Not a breeder here, but would they really take the mare, in racing fitness, to the breeding shed without some type of let down time, making sure her innards are working properly, etc?

    OR would they take her there, let her unwind and do a later breeding?

    Have to say that the concept of BC/Frankel could make me drool...
    You can breed and race a mare. Some rather famous mares have raced while in foal.
    That said, I would think that she would not be covered by Frankel until after Sep 1st, so that the resulting foal is born after 1st Aug, which is the start of the foaling season in the southern hemisphere. The Royal meeting at Ascot is in the third week of June, so she would have a couple of months of down time.



  3. #243
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2009
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Thanks for info - and it totally skipped my mind that they are probably on a slightly backwards calendar down under!!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........



  4. #244
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Lots of BC talk this week down here. With the UK trip/ Frankel breeding, it is sounding positive with a couple other considerations of Peter Moody having final say of if she runs, if he's happy how she's been training etc. To me this raises questions on her last run in UK and if he really didn't want to run her.

    Would a Frankel x BC be a good breeding match pedigree wise?

    And the other drama down here has been that the BC owners have been rumoured to have asked Randwick for 220 member tickets to be given to them for her next race in Sydney. And a tent for them to hang out in for the day etc. Everyone is hoping this isn't the case that the owners are getting greedy.

    P.



  5. #245
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Nelly seems to be training well.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-0...7-form/4615920

    There is still talk about her meeting up with Frankel , also rumored that More Joyous (another top race mare) will be meeting up with him.

    And because Sydney has been getting so much rain lately and Nelly doesn't do wet tracks , she might be coming back to Adelaide for the Goodwood in may.

    P.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    I had forgotten that Black Caviar's little half brother , a yearling, was going through the sale ring today at the Inglis Easter Yearling sale. They were projecting that he would go for around $3 million. Well he did more then that and went for a Aussi record of $ 5million! The sale ring was packed and looked like standing room only. Bidding started at $2 million and only went up, sometimes by half a million bids!

    Article about the sale

    Lot 131: Redoute's Choice x Helsinge colt There is a pic on this page.

    He was bought by BC3 Thoroughbreds http://bc3.com/

    They went on to buy a filly at 700K as well today. They have bought a couple of our homebreds too over the last couple years too.

    Hope he lives up to all the hype!
    P.



  7. #247
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default

    So its unclear if she's a go or not for her 25th start ....

    Saturday April 13, 2013: $1M AUS Group-1 at Randwick Racecourse

    Field of 11 horses with Black Caviar drawing the 9th hole.

    Moody said he understood the reasoning in making Black Caviar's race the last of the day.

    "The last time we were here, two years ago, we were in race four and everyone went home after it," he said.

    "If the track was to be wet then it would be even worse after eight races," Moody said.

    "I've been pretty clear that she won't run on a wet track. That hasn't changed."
    If successful, she will also extend her Group 1-winning streak to eight and take her career tally of major race wins to 15 – both Australian records.



  8. #248
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    Darn, Polydor - would be just too bad if she had to go to Adelaide!

    Also saw lots of news of her half-brother's sale online here as well. Must be fun over there while all this is going on - in a land where they appreciate racing a bit more.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes



  9. #249
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2011
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    I had forgotten that Black Caviar's little half brother , a yearling, was going through the sale ring today at the Inglis Easter Yearling sale. They were projecting that he would go for around $3 million. Well he did more then that and went for a Aussi record of $ 5million! The sale ring was packed and looked like standing room only. Bidding started at $2 million and only went up, sometimes by half a million bids!

    Article about the sale

    Lot 131: Redoute's Choice x Helsinge colt There is a pic on this page.

    He was bought by BC3 Thoroughbreds http://bc3.com/

    They went on to buy a filly at 700K as well today. They have bought a couple of our homebreds too over the last couple years too.

    Hope he lives up to all the hype!
    P.
    Wow, he's pretty!

    All the black type on that page was more than impressive.



  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Darn, Polydor - would be just too bad if she had to go to Adelaide!

    Also saw lots of news of her half-brother's sale online here as well. Must be fun over there while all this is going on - in a land where they appreciate racing a bit more.
    LOL love living in a country that has actual national public holidays for a 3 min horse race ( Melbourne Cup). Well it might now quite be an official holiday but it might as well be since no one works! lol And the Adelaide Cup day is a holiday.

    And all the papers have the racing guide in it daily for the country.

    P.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    LOL love living in a country that has actual national public holidays for a 3 min horse race ( Melbourne Cup). Well it might now quite be an official holiday but it might as well be since no one works! lol And the Adelaide Cup day is a holiday.

    And all the papers have the racing guide in it daily for the country.

    P.
    I am envious! Envious, I tell you!
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default

    DRF: Black Caviar has chance to make it 25 straight at Randwick

    The Smith Stakes is part of the Breeders’ Cup’s Win and You’re In program, offering a fees-paid berth to the winner for the BC Turf Sprint at Santa Anita in November. There has been no indication from Black Caviar’s owners or Moody that a Breeders’ Cup start would be considered if she were to win the Smith Stakes.
    The Daily Telegraph - Apr 11, 2013: "Racing veterans divided on Phar Lap vs Black Caviar debate"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default

    Looks like it will be a go for the 25th start although checking TVG's broadcast schedule for live video isn't looking good

    Per the Sydney Herald Sun she's "raring to go at Royal Randwick after light workout this morning "

    The stunning mare's every move was closely monitored by the watching media as she was lead out from her stable onto the track just after 4am this morning.

    With the sun still to rise this morning and in front of multiple cameras, Black Caviar had a half-hour session in the pool, another session on the track and then returned to her stable at Rosehill.
    Video from News of the World Sat morning in Oz of Nelly



  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    And do I need to say that she won?? Yup notched #25 by another 2 lengths or so. Raced straight into the setting sun until the first turn. Luke rode a smart race and didn't let her get boxed in on the rail.

    She looks fantastic best she's ever looked!

    Way to go girl!

    P.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2003
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    And do I need to say that she won?? Yup notched #25 by another 2 lengths or so. Raced straight into the setting sun until the first turn. Luke rode a smart race and didn't let her get boxed in on the rail.

    She looks fantastic best she's ever looked!

    Way to go girl!

    P.
    The news coverage this morning was hilarious: Decisions to be made on her future after her win in the evening. Not "if" but "when."
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.



  16. #256
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    And do I need to say that she won?? Yup notched #25 by another 2 lengths or so. Raced straight into the setting sun until the first turn. Luke rode a smart race and didn't let her get boxed in on the rail.
    Video replay: 2013 Darley T.J Smith Stakes (Group 1) - 25th victory

    Way to go Nelly!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2003
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    4,074

    Default

    This may sound silly, but I feel lucky to see a horse like her in my lifetime. Thank goodness for the video replays on the 'net!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    This may sound silly, but I feel lucky to see a horse like her in my lifetime. Thank goodness for the video replays on the 'net!
    Yep although I admit to setting my alarm and watching bleary eyed this am



  19. #259
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Incredible!!! The past few years have definitely belonged to the fillies and mares.

    Thanks to the posters that provide links, loved the news vid showing her stable area and swim. BC is something special for sure.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*



  20. #260
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Australia loves this girl. 120% behind her. Even the top fashion stores are carrying salmon and black clothing And the news shows her AM workouts.

    I will admit that friend and I were screaming at tv early on in the race going around that first turn. But she came through like always. Very odd watching them run that way too.

    This might be a long shot question but Hay List , surprised he was up there pushing her since I'm pretty sure a year or two ago he really gave her a run. Or am I correct in saying he was off injured for a while recently?

    Still crossing fingers for her to run in Adelaide.

    P.



Similar Threads

  1. Back in Black
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
  2. Black Caviar # 22!!!!!
    By nasalberry in forum Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 16, 2011, 03:10 PM
  4. Caviar for Christmas
    By 2WBs1TB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2011, 04:19 PM
  5. Back to black - horse care, but need tips hunter specific.
    By HuntrJumpr in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jul. 1, 2010, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •