The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Both HK and Aus are known for very vigorous pre and post race vet exams. I'm sure that has to play a big part. HK esp has very high transparency on a horse's medical history, with every runner's history available for viewing online at the HKJC website.
    Yeah, very altruistic people.

Video: pick ([Australia "A", Mar 13, R7) - Black Caviar wins her 13th consecutive

Sky News report (video) of her run

When a horse is running for her 13th win on Friday the 13th you know she'd be heavily wagered anyhow Another she hands another red day to the bookies ...

Champion mare Black Caviar continues to cause bookies nightmares after she again landed some massive bets in the BTC Cup.

Sportingbet Australia CEO Michael Sullivan said Black Caviar had become the biggest scourge of bookies he could remember.

“The bets today included one punter who had $350,000, one who had $150,000 and multiple $100,000 wagers,” said Sullivan.

“We thought we were half a chance when she wobbled around the turn but once again she destroyed her rivals while giving her backers a fill up.

“It’s put in and take out but we’ll continue to take her on as you’d hate to miss out if and when she ever gets beaten.”

She sure appears to have a great mind as well as being a superb race horse.

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Clamber there wouldn't be much difference in break down rates in Aus. Like most TB industries they really are not thinking longer than a racing career.
    Where are your figures from whence you draw that conclusion? See the above, if they can be trusted, that is a huge difference, at least in Australia as compared to the rest of the world. Did you notice what I said about blinkers and tongue ties? These used to be used in very unusual and difficult cases in the US in the long ago past (at least 2 decades). Now they seem to be standard equipement.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by laserRob View Post
    Yeah, very altruistic people.
    What do you mean by this comment? If the medical transparency is better in Hong Kong, what does that say for the US? Or do you just not believe them? Breakdown rates are pretty much proof in the pudding, even if "only" fatality rates are compared, per number of horses raced. That also is proof of the pudding and ours is contaminated pudding at best.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    What do you mean by this comment? If the medical transparency is better in Hong Kong, what does that say for the US? Or do you just not believe them? .
    Probably what laserBob is insinuating is that the reasons behind the Hong Kong Jockey Club's medical transparency is more to do with making the info available to the betting public and protecting the integrity of racing, and that the resultant benefit to horses is coincidental. They also give info like the horse's weight, and description of the all the horse's work on the track, i.e jogging, distance jogged, electronically timed workouts, all on the race card.

But whatever way you slice it, they have probably the safest racing in the world.

14 for 14 now.
    Just won the Schillacci Stakes G2 over 1000m in breathless fashion.

OMG this mare is awesome. How often do you see a horse win a 5f race by open lengths in a canter under a hand ride?
    You gotta watch the replay when it becomes available.

Replay of her latest win.
    http://youtu.be/cowGnOtUB38

Wow! Not just a slight victory over the field but rather a convincing beating while in hand over the field. Sensational! 14-0, just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by makif388 View Post
    ty for share best one
    reported
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Love this girl!

We had a filly be compared to Black Caviar which is pretty cool and amazing if she is half as good as the Black Caviar!

P.

Oct 19, 2011 "Black Caviar out to go 15-0"

Black Caviar has four rivals in the $300k AU Group 2 Schweppes Stakes, which is run over about six furlongs. Black Caviar won her 14th race in the Group 2 Schillaci Stakes at Caulfield, Australia, on Oct. 8, her first start since May.

In the Schweppes, she faces the multiple stakes winner Scenic Blast, who raced briefly in the United States in 2010. The 2008-09 Horse of the Year in Australia, Scenic Blast was winless in five starts in California for trainer John Shirreffs. Shirreffs trained Zenyatta, the winner of her first 19 races and the 2010 Horse of the Year.
    (pdf) Race entries and PP's here - race off at 12:20 am Friday EST

DRF - free living video streaming of the Friday (morning US) race

Some advanced drama, not from her, but other "threatening" horses in the same race and stabling!

Sydney Morning Herald Oct 21, 2011 "Safety first: 'rogue' horse faces a stall order to spare Black Caviar a beating"

Racing authorities confirmed last night that Black Caviar would have a vacant stall on her outside at Moonee Valley tomorrow after it was agreed that notorious barrier rogue Here De Angels will be moved one stall further out so as not to pose any threat of physical harm to the precious mare.

The eight-year-old gelding was banned from racing in Victoria when trained here late last year, and Black Caviar's trainer, Peter Moody, remembers well the sprinter's constant unruly antics. So much so that when he saw the horse draw alongside his unbeaten champion, he immediately approached stewards in the hope of having him moved.

''You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if he wanted to climb the stall and hurt her,'' Moody said yesterday. ''I'm not worried about her [in the barriers]. I'm worried about him trying to climb into her stall. She won't hurt herself, it's him I'm worried about.''

Bailey said that, in his three years as chief steward in Melbourne, Here De Angels was the ''worst barrier horse'' he had seen. ''All his barrier troubles have been down here [Melbourne] and horses don't often forget,'' he said.
    Away from the controversy, Roche is looking forward to taking on the superstar in tomorrow's Schweppes Stakes, despite the odds: Black Caviar is $1.04 to win, Here De Angels $81.

So what time is the race going off today? I sure would love to watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by elsbet View Post
    So what time is the race going off today? I sure would love to watch it!
    This listed time is 12:20 am (Saturday morning) Eastern or 11:20 pm Central Friday night. The Cox Plate is actually the signature race tonight which is a prep to the Melbourne Cup.

Thanks, Glimmerglass! I guess I will have to wait to watch it then......I might be able to watch it - depends on what time we get home fromt he concert tonight.

I think it's a bit of a disservice to call the Cox Plate a mere Melbourne Cup prep. It is Australasia's greatest middle distance Weight for Age race, and carries a $3m purse to boot, so it's more like the Australian equivalent of the Breeder's Cup Classic or the Prix de l'Arc. The winner can rightfully call themselves the best middle distance horse down under.

The big Cup is definitely the more famous race of the two, but it's a Handicap that is often not won by the 'best' horse, more like the best 'weighted' horse. To use a jump racing analogy, I would compare the two races to the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Grand National, the latter being more famous but the former being the real championship race of jump racing.

HRTV is covering Black Caviar's race - only they say it is at 9:20 Eastern...! Maybe 9:20 is the beginning of their card?

From their Facebook page,

HRTV
    HRTV will carry the brilliant Australian mare Black Caviar's attempt to remain undefeated in 15 career starts tonight at 9:20 p.m. ET/6:20 p.m. PT during HRTV's regularly-scheduled programming.

Edit: Well, since nothing happened at 9:20 EST, sounds like Glimmerglass's 12:20am time is correct.
    Last edited by CVPeg; Oct. 21, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Programming incorrect

Wow... 15 for 15

It's starting to get silly at this point. It's not just winning, but she wins by open lengths in an absolute canter. Horses don't win Turf sprints by multiple lengths... those are usually blanket finishes.
    She doesn't even look she is running. Completely effortless. There was a former Australian HOY behind her today.... he looked like a nickle claimer in her wake.

"makes 'em all look pretty ordinary." That she does.

LOVE how the crowd adores her and it was a HUGE crowd today.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

They're playing "Back In Black" for her.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati