The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Black Caviar (AUS) - aka 'Nelly' 25-0; retired Apr 17th

While all the salivating over Zenyatta has faded during these winter months it may be overlooked by some that the world rankings have continued. Who is at the top? Blame? Zenyatta? Nope, but it is a filly.

Image - Black Caviar (f)

4-year old Australian-based Black Caviar nosed out U.S. champion Blame as the top-rated horse in the world, based on World Thoroughbred Rankings from Oct. 1, 2010 through March 27, 2011. The Breeders’ Cup Championships and the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) were run during the period covered by the latest rankings.

According to the panel of international handicappers, the Australian filly who defeated males in her three group I wins over the winter was weighted at 130 pounds, one more than Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Blame, the champion older male in the U.S. who has since been retired.

Late tonight (FRI 4-8-11) American viewers can on TVG watch her go for yet another victory from Oz: Group 1 $1 million Darley T.J. Smith Stakes (1200m) at Royal Randwick (Sydney). The race will be aired live at 1:20 am EST

One of these headlines that temps fate: Daily Telegraph (Australia) Trainer Peter Moody says only disaster can beat Black Caviar in T. J. Smith

video - prior effort Flemington - Lexus Newmarket Handicap

She carries gobs of weight without issue and is scared of none. Impressive gal!

Interesting if she does win she'll break a record held by Nijinsky.

The legendary Nijinsky was the only horse in modern history to have won its first eleven career starts in metro races, until Black Caviar tied this mark with her convincing victory in the $500,000 William Reid Stakes. Thus placing Black Caviar in very elite company as Nijinsky holds numerous horse racing distinctions including the English Triple Crown, European Horse of the Year, a new European earnings record (1970), voted UK Horse of The Millennium in 2000 and even a film narrated by Orson Welles titled "A Horse Called Nijinsky". While Black Caviar doesn't yet have a film to her credit she does have a popular Face Book Fan page.

Black Caviar still has a long way to go to match the above successes but this Saturday she's favored to break her tie with Nijinsky and set a new world record of twelve straight victories in metro races to start a career.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Apr. 17, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: won #12 in April, #13 in May, #14 in early Oct, now #15 in Oct, won Nov for 16th

Aww you beat me to it Glimmer!

Amazing filly to watch run. She really needs some competition since she looks like she is just out for a gallop most of the time. Love how calm she is in the paddock , half asleep most of the time.

We all thought she should have gone to Dubai for the races last month.

Also her half brother sold this week at Sydney Yearling Sale for just over 1 mill.

http://www.inglis.com.au/news/item/m...-brother-sells

P.

Polydor there were a few tense moments when it looked like she was lingering behind the front runner .. before she pounced and pulled away Going now a perfect 12-0

Racing Post (UK): Mighty Black Caviar posts win number 12

[2nd place finisher] Hay List's trainer John McNair was proud of his horse while jockey Glyn Schofield briefly thought he was in with a chance.

"I could hear her coming," he said. "Then she hit overdrive and I could see her going."

Moody said there was no chance Black Caviar would come back for the All-Aged Stakes in two weeks but the 1,400m Group 1 is something McNair would like to explore.

"I will try to talk the owners into it," he said. "The main plan is the Goodwood in Adelaide in May.

"Usually she runs the fast sectionals between the 800 and 600 metres but today her last 200 was her best," Moody said.

"Maybe she could stretch out to a mile (1,600m) or a mile and a quarter (2,000m).
    Race replay - Darley T J Smith Stakes, Apr 9, 2011 -no official upload yet - so this bootleg version by someone will have to do

The crowd was huge and mostly there just to see her.

OOoo if she's heading to Adelaide for the Goodwood, I am sooooo there! Would be a shame to miss it since i'm only a hop skip and a jump from Adelaide.

She looked more on fire today then last race where she basically canter down to the wire ( and won by a couple strides after missing the jump).

Found this comment from the video to be interesting :

" I was a jockey when i was younger, and i can tell you now, Black Caviar is not running a "distance" she's racing other horses. Which means that she will win over other distances, and I'm picking she'll win over the mile, and even further.

A horse that can only sprint usually is either a) inconsistent ( when coming from behind), b) usually only wins from the front.

Having missed the jump, and raced headed by other horses tells us she is "racing" other horses, not running a "distance.""

I can understand where he's coming from and should be interesting to see if they do push her or put her in any longer races.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Race replay - Darley T J Smith Stakes, Apr 9, 2011 -no official upload yet - so this bootleg version by someone will have to do

The crowd was huge and mostly there just to see her.
    Better quality replay of today's (last night's?) race here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7zvQw7-4Q

Hearing that she may get a brief holiday then head north to Queensland for a race ( drawing blank on which one). Then head to Singapore, then on to Hong Kong then on to Ascot (??).

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Better quality replay of today's (last night's?) race here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7zvQw7-4Q
    Best in the world? Has she ever raced outside Aus.?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Best in the world? Has she ever raced outside Aus.?
    The latter is a rather moot point actually. As for the former - yes she is considered #1 in the world and not in a fan club kind of way.

The World Thoroughbred Rankings - IFHA

In her 12 starts only 1 was restricted to female only competition. She's already toted more weight then most US graded stakes starters ever will in their careers.

1 members found this post helpful.

Worth pointing out: The Black Caviar earned an automatic spot in the $1 million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint through the Breeders' Cup Challenge Series.

As part of the enhanced benefits program introduced this year, the Breeders' Cup will pay the entry fees for all Challenge winners and provide a travel allowance.

How did you earn her spot in the Sprint? Was it a certain race or just the fact that she has won so many and her rating is so high?

Would love to see her go to North America and kick some butt!

P.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...r-breeders-cup

I'd love to see her come here for the BC.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Black Caviar lines up yet again this weekend (May 14) in Australia and TVG should be airing the race. Her jockey, Luke Nolen, is pressing to see if for 2012 she goes to Royal Ascot:

Nolen rode Black Caviar for the first time since her arrival in Brisbane on Tuesday and left with the feeling she was close to her peak.

Black Caviar hasn't started since winning the Group 1 TJ Smith (1200m) at Randwick on April 9.

"She's put on a bit of weight but she'll tighten up a lot after that gallop," Nolen said. "Mentally and physically she's quite sharp but Peter Moody knows how and when to back off with his horses.

Hay List, Black Caviar's main rival, passed a veterinary inspection ordered by Racing Queensland stewards after arriving safely on Friday by float from Gosford.

Stewards' concerns were raised when Hay List tore a shoe off earlier in the week.

It is extremely notable not to see blinkers and tongue ties on every daggone horse in the race. What a beauty, so relaxed, not exhausted and washed out looking at the end. Glimmer, do you have any idea where I can look for the breakdown rates in Australia?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Thanks for this, this is one I will keep on eye on now that I do not have Queen Z to give me the shivers.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Sourced from equidaily.com

Her race will be aired in the at US time, Sat 1:50am ET

PPs: Race 7 - Bundaberg Distilling Co. BTC Cup @ 1200 METRES Group 1 race for $400k AUD

Black Caviar is breaking from PP#2

Interesting bit of punting here:

Sydney Morning Herald May 11th: "It's red Caviar for lucky 13 but bookies bet she won't match Zenyatta"

Kafataris's Centrebet, the subject of a $180 million takeover bid from rival Sportingbet yesterday, has Black Caviar at $1.20 to win. The only other runner under double-figure odds is the last-start All Aged Stakes winner Hay List ($6).

The Kafataris team is offering a price on whether Black Caviar can match the 19 straight wins by recently retired US champ Zenyatta. The odds about matching Zenyatta are $3.50 with $1.30 available for those thinking she'll come up short.

Centrebet is offering $2.60 about Black Caviar matching the 17 wins amassed by the Australian-bred Hong Kong champion Silent Witness, with $1.50 to say she cannot reach the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    It is extremely notable not to see blinkers and tongue ties on every daggone horse in the race. What a beauty, so relaxed, not exhausted and washed out looking at the end. Glimmer, do you have any idea where I can look for the breakdown rates in Australia?
    I don't know if there is a figure for breakdowns as a whole, but the oft quoted figure for fatalities in Aussie racing is 0.44 per 1000 starts, and is generally considered one of the lowest in the world, I think only HK does better.

By comparision......

US (all surfaces) 2.00/1000
    ---- dirt 2.14/1000
    ---- synth 1.51/1000
    ---- turf 1.74/1000
    UK 0.65/1000
    Aus 0.44/1000
    HK 0.35/1000

Both HK and Aus are known for very vigorous pre and post race vet exams. I'm sure that has to play a big part. HK esp has very high transparency on a horse's medical history, with every runner's history available for viewing online at the HKJC website.

YAY! You go girl! Didn't manage to watch but heard she won.

Bring on the world! :P

P.

Clamber there wouldn't be much difference in break down rates in Aus. Like most TB industries they really are not thinking longer than a racing career.

Yeah she is 13 for 13 starts which is great