The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you strengthen/supple your horse's weak side?

Would love tips on strengthening and suppling the weak/stiff side of your horse. I know lots of circles and leg yields. but what else can I do?

Spiral in/out, serpentines, shoulder in, haunches in, and leg yields for lateral suppling. Transitions, extending and collecting for longitudinal suppling.

You have to do all of the above exercises over and over and over...It can get boring for both horse and rider, so try riding the drills in different places, in the pasture, on a trail ride, down the road, etc. My absolute favorite place to practice bending is in my back pasture: no fences means horse really has to listen to what you're asking.

My horse works in an Aquatred. Evens him right out then he's perfect (and easy) for me under saddle!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

agree with above exercises as well...also when i was working on the same thing i would alternate back and forth inside bend then outside bend,inside, outside etc bending through my horses whole body,not just by their head and neck,on long sides of arena and then riding straight on short sides..this might not be for everyone,but it worked okay for me, in short sessions but often in my warm up, until i felt a bit more suppleness then prior.also when i was starting out with this exercise i had to exaggerate the bend more then normal,then gradually decrease it as there is more strength/suppleness in the ride.