The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle for HIGH withered appendix

Help! Anyone out there have experience with high withered TB- cross saddle fit? I have a wide tree jumping saddle and it smushes down and is ill fit. My challenge is that i don't have many $$ to spend. What brands and/or models have you found suitable to fit a high-withered horse?

IF your horse has a really high shark finn wither, a wide is probably not what you need.... You probably need a medium to narrow tree with wither gussets. Wide is for a U shape horse, narrow trees with wither gussets are for V shaped horses.

Something along the lines of this MAY be an option:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/175-ALBION-K2-CL...item256296e7ca

ILP is right. My high withered Appendix goes nicely in a med tree Collegiate Diploma (deflocked and restuffed to fit him with a little extra lift in front) but oddly enough fits well into a western saddle with full QH bars. You'd think the uber-wide western wouldn't work, but it does. Gus's withers are pretty high and narrow even though his shoulders are massive so I had to get creative.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Yes, Jen and ILP, i have exactly that situation - shark fin that drops to broader back. so skinny tree will pinch. Too wide smashes down.
    I'll look at the link ILP and google a Collegiate Diploma. I don't want to sell my wide tree b/c it will likely fit my yearling. Gads. what a PITA. BUT the western saddle is lovely fit on him - full quarter horse bars. Thanks for the suggestions.

The Passier saddles often have a cutback head which is sometimes helpful with a high withered horse. There are a couple of Passier Comets on eBay now, along with some older saddles. If you can ride in a really flat, no padding saddle, some of the older Crosbys will work well too. And you may want to try a Jeffries saddle. Good luck!

I have an Ainsley for sale which fit my high-withered TB very well, but wasn't too narrow for the broader back of some of the horses I leased. PM me if you'd like some more information

could your saddle be reflocked? My girl has the biggest withers I've ever seen and basically the only solution was to be able to have enough padding behind the wither in the panels to lift the entire saddle up. So like a dropped panel, if that makes sense. Just adding wither gussets would not have solved the problem, because the support along the whole panel wouldn't be there, and it would still press down on the wither area.

Fortunately though, she went in a medium tree. However, if you can get your wide flocked up enough in the panels, it should help. If not, I would start searching for a wide saddle that could be built up. Maybe something like a used County? The Innovation has a very generous tree and you could find one used with the dropped panels built in.

Wither gussets AND something that is deeply gusseted...
    I forgot to add that part. I wouldn't want a wide tree saddle that needed to be padded down to a narrow tree.

I would think you can easily find a nice used saddle AND have it reflocked to your horse for under $2,000.

I also suggest Trumbull Mountain.

thanks for all the ideas! Re-flocking isn't going to help and i have already tried every kind of pad known to man. The tree is simply not a good fit and there's really no way around it. I did look up many saddles that you all suggested and i see that some are much higher in the pommel while others appear to be a little "flatter" So i'm going to have to scare up some $$ then see if i can try some saddles to find one that fits.

What a joy!