The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a saddle (to ride in the rain)

I want to find a second dressage saddle that would be a good schooling saddle in all weather. I was taking at look at the Wintec Isabell. I am still deciding if I like it. I've looked at Thorowgood and liked the material but not the saddle. I like the Tekna but the flap is very long. Any suggestions?

Beware of the squoogie bits on the Wintecs (maybe this is improved on the new models???) - they act like a sponge in the rain & are much less comfortable than just wet leather, also slower to dry

I think the newer wintec isabells don't have the foamy bits. Pretty nice saddles, if it fits, might be the choice. The flap was too short for me.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Check out the Tekna saddles. 100% rain proof

I grew up riding in the rain (Ireland) & used Ko cho line to repel water. Much cheaper than another saddle...
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

My trail saddle is a courbette magic dressage saddle. Love it, no problems, leather always cleans up looking new!

http://www.courbette.com/Catalog/saddles/magic.html
    Don't squat with yer spurs on
    Skip's Passionate Gal "Hannah"- 2003 AQHA Mare
    Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boY

I use a Toklat saddle cover. It was pricey, but fits my 19 inch dressage saddle and is completely rain proof and not slippery.

Are you going to buy a "rain" bridle too?

Yep I actually have a Tekna rain bridle. I ride outdoors years around (no indoor arena). I don't like using a waterproof saddle cover to ride in.
    I may see if a local tack shop has the new Wintec Isabell for trial. Looks like I may be getting it if it's comfy.

Hmmm, saddles are made of cow hide, buffalo hide....when it rains they run for cover because every responsible cow/buffalo owner owns private housing for each animal.
    Simplify this: ride the rain when you need/have to and then wash saddle with glycerine, castille,....soap. recondition, if needed with a balsam, ko-cho-line,...

Or buy another saddle for wet weather....GEESH!!!! I think I will add this idea to list of.....should had a lot of V-8!!!!

Is this OP a troll?

No why would I be a troll? I have a Neidercuss that I use in nice weather. I don't see what's wrong with buying a cheap 2nd saddle for schooling outdoors. I want a saddle that I wouldn't mind getting dirty, scratches, beat up, rained on, etc is. That is why I am thinking about synthetic options. I am thinking of selling my Neidercuss but if I go to a show I think leather looks more respectfu/nicer in the ring.

Default Ride the horse, not the weather

Find the saddle that fits your horse best, preferably with the help of a qualified saddler... material, price, etc, should be the last areas for you to consider. Find which saddle suits your horse and your body and stick with it all the time. Think about it... how would you like the idea of not only working out in yucky weather, but also having to cope with ill-fitting clothes at the same time? IME, properly conditioned leather is the best option for wet weather, and that comes from living in places where a "nice day" is one where the rain only lasts a couple hours.

Wintec saddles have known issues with the tree points cracking, and their customer service is horrible. It took me 9 months to get them to fix the broken tree, and in the process they put some lovely scratches in the leather (mine's a Bates, made by the same company). If you buy it used or remove the Cair, they won't honor the warranty at all. Plus you have to pay the shipping to get the saddle to them, which amounts to $60 or so round-trip.

I would look more into the Tekna, or just buy an old beat-up Neidersuss if you have to have a second saddle.

I don't think having a second saddle for foul weather or trail riding is a bad idea at all. I think its great in fact not to let the weather spoil riding, but also being cautious about nice tack. I'm driving now and only have one russet harness I need to keep tidy, so I don't drive in the rain, I don't want to risk spoiling it. I plan to be getting a synthetic harness, that fits just as well, so I can save my nice leather one for best, but thats down the road.

OP if you have a KN, some models are very easy to find and reasonably priced in used condition. I have seen many safe and sound but visually worn and scarred symphonies sell for under $600, I even saw one that had a torn seat sell on ebay for under $300. You might want to consider looking for the same saddle you have in very worn condition, it might be more cost effective than you think.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

I was looking at the Tekna all purpose for trails - anyone have a review to share?

I have an older model Wintec Pro dressage that I use for foul weather. I LOVE not taking my $3,000 saddle out when it's pouring rain. I don't have a 'rain bridle', but then, the bridle isn't as expensive to replace. I do clean it after it gets wet, and use Passier lederbalsam to condition it. I don't think I'll have to replace it anytime soon. But for a saddle? I don't think having second saddle is a bad idea at all. You can pick up a used Wintec on ebay for a song if you're willing to cyberstalk for awhile. Just make sure the fit is right first.