The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2001 Expedition - Questions

Hi,
    Just bought one for towing my two horse trailer, YAY! (my old truck was pretty sad looking) It was only ever used to tow a flat bed trailer, someone mentioned to me that since I was going to start towing a heavier load I needed to get it re-tuned? Also, I was asking someone about it and he started talking about towing in Drive, not over drive and stuff like that.

I really didn't get everthing that he was saying, so hopefully you guys can help me out! (or I'm going to have to find a truck forum LOL)

I've only towed my horse trailer with it once so far, and that was like two miles down the street to my lesson.

THANKS!!
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" clique

Don't really get what he was saying about "retuning"....it's not like the truck has a chip that needs to be programmed if you're towing certain loads, so as long as the whole thing is in good working order, you should be good to go.

Re: Drive vs. Overdrive. People are either for or against Drive, but ultimately you need to crack open that owners manual and see what it says in the towing section. Different vehicles are designed to work differently...and what worked for older cars is no longer necessary for newer ones with better technology.

Don't tow in overdrive, that part is correct. You'll wear out your clutch plate, which is not designed for the torque from a trailer.

I had an Exped. for a while, but it didn't work out for me. Keep a close eye on your weights, take it slow, watch your temps. Hopefully you at least got the 5.4L V8 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Don't tow in overdrive, that part is correct. You'll wear out your clutch plate, which is not designed for the torque from a trailer.

I had an Exped. for a while, but it didn't work out for me. Keep a close eye on your weights, take it slow, watch your temps. Hopefully you at least got the 5.4L V8 engine.
    Yup. But I am on my 2nd Exp (5.4 V8) and it has worked great for me. I do not however, tow extremely long distances excpet PA to VA once a year.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I have an 05 expedition that I tow my 2H BP Hawk with. It tows fine for the short distances, not sure about long ones as I have only towed horses about half hour down the road and back. I will say use stabilization bars. They are awesome! My DH uses the BP for hauling garbage to the dump and doesn't use the bars, I can tell a difference in how it tows and I would rather tow (esp with horses) with the bars.

And I do tow with the overdrive turned off per the owner's manual and suggestion of Risa at Happy Trails :-)....

Happy Trails to you too in your new found freedom!