The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Having a bad month or two...need to vent/complain.

I'm sure folks here will understand and maybe I'll feel better sharing with other horsie peeps.

I keep my horses at home but I took my mare to my trainer's barn due a corneal ulcer that started in mid March, right after a show. We had an awesome show and things were really coming together for us. The treatments for the ulcer were more than I can do since I work away from home. She is getting better, I spoke to the vet today and he thinks just a little while longer and she will be fine. Think goodness for that.

Her companion is a pasture pet who is just staying out in the pasture. He's a sweet horse but he hasn't been ridden in 3-4 years and I have NO desire to get on him. I value my life too much. He has company as the neighbors horses are in the pasture next him so no worries that he's too lonely even though I know he misses his girlfriend.

Then I have another horse at my trainers who is for sale. Having a terrible time trying to sell him and I'm going to just bring him home if nothing happens by June. But at least I did ride him last weekend at the trainers and he was awesome!!! I plan on riding him this weekend but wish my trainer was a little closer so I could ride him during the week. Then I could also see my girl who has the corneal ulcer...but with work I just can't get there.

With all of this...I'm going broke!!! Got the vet bill yesterday - Rut Roh!!!! But when I get home from work, I'm sort of lost not riding or doing barn chores. I don't know what do with myself. Sound strange? Sorry for the rambling long post...unfortunately I don't feel any better right now.

Default sorry

greenacres,
    sorry you are feeling a little lost without all your horses at home and no one to ride. we get into a routine and when there are big transitions, sometimes it throws us for a loop! sorry to hear about your mare's eye as well- corneal ulcers are scary!

maybe since you are missing barn time, you could spend this time doing farm improvements? ya know, all the things we say we need to do but never seem to get to- like dusting the tops of the stall partitions and cleaning the corner feeder residue off of the stall walls? doing little stuff like this always makes me feel better if i can't ride- and this GA weather has been so crazy this spring, that there have been LOTS of those days! you really haven't missed to much!

i bet your pasture pet would love a good date with the shedding blade as well! good luck with all and i hope you get all of those ponies home and healthy soon!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

I hate feeling stressed, especially about money. I hope things start to look up for you soon.

That doesn't sound strange at all!! I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope things start getting more cheerful for you soon! And jingles for your mare and her recovery.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Thanks for your replies!!!

Skip916 - great advice. I will definately clean up the barn and give some TLC to the pasture pet this weekend. You are so right that there are all sorts of chores I should do since I have time. No more moping around.

Yea, stressing about the money does help at all. When I got the vet bill yesterday, that was a big blow. I was expecting a large bill...but it was a little bigger than I was thinking. But the important thing is to get my mare healty again!!!

And if you want a change of scenery, come on down to Dallas and ride The Equine Sofa or Penny on the SCT. See something different, ride something different and just enjoy a time of doing whatever.

Barn door is always open
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

lol- choco you are awesome for offering up your ponies- good idea!
    i am right down the street from choco, so if you get tired of the equine sofa, i have a fire breathing dragon for you!

we really do need a GA COTH get together soon!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy