The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driver Goes Down Road with Horses Still Tied to Trailer!

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/0...rses-tied.html

Two horses running behind a horse trailer on Argent Road and Road 68 in Pasco caught people by surprise Tuesday afternoon.

The horses were tied to a trailer that was being pulled by a truck, said Gene Weisskopf, of Richland, who was at McGill's restaurant and saw them at the stop light.

"The light turned green and (the driver) kind of crept forward and then he turned left on Road 68 and started picking up speed," Weisskopf said. "The horses started trotting and then running. One of them broke loose and kept running with the other horse that was still tied up."

Pasco police said the owner of the horses had just been at a veterinary clinic nearby and forgot that the horses were tied outside the trailer. He stopped after multiple cars honked at him to alert him what was happening.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

At a barn I rode at as a kid, there was a sweet but rather, uh, dingy lady who trailered in for lessons who did this AT LEAST 10 times that I personally saw. Luckily, the driveway went right by the arena, so the trainer could leap out and flag her down before she got to the road. Her saintly horse would try to pull back, but if his halter didn't break he'd just trot right along side.

Her husband also, on at least four separate occaisions, tore the tailgate off of their truck after unhitching the gooseneck and driving off without putting said tailgate down.

They were a fun couple.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Good lord, I'm forgetfull, but that takes the cake!

I hope the horses were ok

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Probably in shock from the vet bill....

Crap like this won't happen if you get yourself in the habit of doing a walk around inspection EVERY TIME you get ready to go somewhere. I've found everything from open or unlatched trailer doors to buckets or grooming supplies on the wheel wells.
    Last edited by PRS; Apr. 7, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Crap like this won't happen if you get yourself in the habit of doing a walk around inspection EVERY TIME you get ready to go somewhere. I've found everything from open or unlatched trailer doors to buckets or grooming supplies on the wheel wells.
    Agreed! I always triple check that I havent left anything out. Forgetting to load the horses is bad. Hope they are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    Agreed! I always triple check that I havent left anything out. Forgetting to load the horses is bad. Hope they are ok.
    Me too.
    And interestingly enough, I always have a momentary freak out and imagine the terrible image of my horse being pulled down the highway.

My mind likes to freak me out like that.

I can't believe my nightmare actually HAPPENS to people.
    yikes.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Me too.
    And interestingly enough, I always have a momentary freak out and imagine the terrible image of my horse being pulled down the highway.

yikes.
    Me TOO! I've even been driving down the road and looked in my rearview mirror and had freak out moments when I didn't see the trailer behind me until I remembered that I wasn't hauling the trailer.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG poor guy. As PRS said, no matter what, I circle the whole truck and trailer before I pull away- with multiple doors, windows, fenders, etc...you do notice forgotten things from brushes to cups to unsecured latches. Never a horse, but dang, it could happen...I also repeat a quick look at the end of our quiet road, just to assure myself esp if the interstate is going to be in my future.

How do you FORGET to load your horses? At the very least, why didn't the driver even check the side mirrors before pulling out? Sheesh...poor horses!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

That's really scary. Wonder how the horses are?

I always do a walk around before I set off anywhere- it only takes a few minutes, and could save a life.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    How do you FORGET to load your horses? At the very least, why didn't the driver even check the side mirrors before pulling out? Sheesh...poor horses!
    Life happens. There's no telling what's going on his world, brain fart, oops, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    My trailer has tie-up places on the back. You might not see a horse there!
    I do a check even (or especially) when I'm with another person, because it's very easy for each person to think the other put away (insert tack, horse, etc.)!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

I also do a walk around before I go anywhere, but it's usually to triple-quadruple check that I did indeed latch the back door. (My nightmare is not leaving the horse tied to the trailer, but leaving the door open so that he falls out.)

No condemnation from me, I could totally do the same thing on a bad day.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I hope he turned around and went back to the vet to make sure the horses were OK!

Thank God it was a man, and not a blonde woman, or there would be yet another "dumb blonde" joke for us fair-haired girls to deal with.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    I also do a walk around before I go anywhere, but it's usually to triple-quadruple check that I did indeed latch the back door. (My nightmare is not leaving the horse tied to the trailer, but leaving the door open so that he falls out.)

No condemnation from me, I could totally do the same thing on a bad day.
    Ditto that. I always do a walk around because that's exactly the sort of thing I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I hope he turned around and went back to the vet to make sure the horses were OK!

Thank God it was a man, and not a blonde woman, or there would be yet another "dumb blonde" joke for us fair-haired girls to deal with.
    He probably was thinking about a blonde in the vet's office.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I used to work at a small animal hospital and we once had an emergency with a lady who left her poor dog tied to the back of her truck. Poor guy's pads were nearly gone he made a full recovery, but at the time I was just incredulous that someone could do that. Apparently it happens with animals large and small...

Wow! That's (almost) right out my back door!

Default it's too bad we don't live closer to each other

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Me too.

yikes.
    We would have a LOT of fun at lunch!!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.