The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on Santa Anita's Racing Surface

I have to write an op-ed for one of my classes and submit it to the LA Times, and I decided to tackle the issues with dirt v. synthetic surfaces at Santa Anita (or California in general if that makes more sense).

Before I start to form my argument, I thought I'd come here and collect some thoughts on the issue. I don't want this to turn into a debate and I don't need much; just quick opinions on the number of injuries this year, for example, or what you think the better surface is. Any relevant information basically. I'm doing other research as well, of course, but there are too many knowledgeable people on here not to dig around a bit!

Thanks!

Well- Santa Anita went back to dirt this year if that has any bearing on your piece.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Well- Santa Anita went back to dirt this year if that has any bearing on your piece.
    Yup, that's kinda my whole point in writing it.

I wrote an editorial for my school's newspaper in college for my Journalism class a few years ago on the dirt vs. synthetic issue. It has alot of statistics on injuries/deaths at some of the major tracks. I can email it to you if you want to scan through it for some ideas to get you going.

Also, if you do a search for Keeneland's synthetic surface, you might be able to find quite a bit of information. I know I used their website for some really good statistics from their research.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobbyMagee View Post
    I wrote an editorial for my school's newspaper in college for my Journalism class a few years ago on the dirt vs. synthetic issue. It has alot of statistics on injuries/deaths at some of the major tracks. I can email it to you if you want to scan through it for some ideas to get you going.

Also, if you do a search for Keeneland's synthetic surface, you might be able to find quite a bit of information. I know I used their website for some really good statistics from their research.
    That would be awesome, thanks! Luckily my school subscribes to Calif. racing magazines and Blood Horse, so I'll be poring over those in the next few days as well to get some solid background info. I'll check out the Keeneland stats too.

It's bad. We got what we wanted. Dirt. BUT it's bad.

I'm so on the fence about this issue.... I do not have the knowledge to comment on it, but from what I hear, trainers seem to prefer dirt because horses training on synthetic surfaces tend to appear fine, because the surface masks the symptoms of lameness, then break down without warning. Don't ask me how on earth that works, I can not prove it, this is just through the grapevine. It seems most horseman prefer dirt.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester