The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tips for riding in a too big saddle?

One of the horses I ride came with her own saddle that is fitted for her. It is not however fitted for me, and is a fair bit too big in the seat. The knee blocks are also not ideal, but they do not interfere. The horse is for sale and not mine, so I can't legitimize buying her a new saddle, so I think I need to learn to cope with the too big one.

I am fine posting, and ok at canter, but I find that in the sitting trot, particularly the lengthens, I have to really work to stay to the front of the saddle. I do not have this issue with my other saddle that does fit me.

It occurs to me I should be able to keep my seat despite the saddle, and that my other saddle may be spoiling me. If that is the case, what excercises can I do to help stay at the front of the too big saddle?

Can't you just post the trot for now? Unfortunately I don't know of any exercises to help with the sitting trot in a too-large saddle...maybe someone else can help.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Can you try a seat saver on the saddle to either fill up some of the space or keep you sticking in place better? Or a really sticky pair of breeches?

The too big saddle is just doing what its supposed to do and pushing you to the middle. I'm pretty petite and most saddles I ride in are too big for me, and I sympathize. The problem is that when you are where you should be according to the horse, you're sitting on a part of the pommel. I think the only way to fix this is to use a saddle that fits. Or a bareback pad;-)

I don't know that a particular exercise would help, but keep skootching up when you notice and be careful that your shoulders are always on top of your hips, not in front ... I think it might have to do with opening your hip angle, so any generic exercise will aid. I have had the same issue, but I prefer a flat or too-big saddle, so am used to the constant self-adjustment.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Smile A temporary solution

Is the saddle one that a saddle fitter can adjust for you? A fitter should be able to at least help the situation.

I have had to ride in a too big saddle when I exercise my son's horse while he is away at grad school. Since he comes home to ride when he can, I have a temporary fix.

I use a real sheepskin seatsaver with a poron shim between the saddle and the seatsaver. I can play with the shims to move me closer to the stirrup bars, to get closer to the center of balance. I avoid sitting trot as much as possible, if I have my feet in the stirrups. So, that means developing some serious muscle tone and a great sense of balance- Not a bad thing to add to your resume..

The Laurische saddle fitter has also used the shim trick for temporary rider adjustments while waiting for the new saddle to arrive..

Please do keep a close eye on the state of the horse's back. Any sensitivity means this fix does not work.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

I thought of a seat saver, but those aren't possible to show in are they? I do post her lenthenings for now, but would like to move her up to 2nd level this year, so I need to be able to sit!

Adjusting the saddle isn't really an option as the owner does ride once or twice a month.

AllweatherGal, The idea that I may be tipping ahead makes sense. I do tend to do that so I will keep a closer feel of what my upper body is doing. Why do you like a too big saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I thought of a seat saver, but those aren't possible to show in are they?
    You could put it inside your breeches ...

Smile

mpQuote:
    Originally Posted by CHT http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
    I thought of a seat saver, but those aren't possible to show in are they?

You could put it inside your breeches ...

There IS that loop hole...

The Para riders use it frequently, for their shimming needs. I think that the FITS breeches have a model with the pockets already sewn in, ready for slipping in the shims. Thin line makes the shims for it. The shims don't have to be bulky to do the trick, either. You don't HAVE to have the elephant rump look..
    Last edited by whicker; Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Sorry, I don't know how to do the proper quote style

Hmmm....my jacket would cover my big butt....I would need a LOT of shims though....the saddle is about 1 inch too big. But I like the idea of a padded bum...maybe I will start a new trend?

My alternative solution is to start eating a daily cheese cake. I have heard those go straight to the hips and derrier.

On a more serious note; would my full seat breeches be more effective if they were tighter? I tend to buy them kind of loose so that they are long enough and make me look a little bigger, but maybe that is counteracting the benefit of the grippiness. I realise the issue is far less in the full seats, so maybe if they fit better?

Since your breeches are on the loose side, just try the stuffing with whatever you have on hand and see if there is an improvement. No $ out to try the concept. If the shim helps, then you can refine to an elegant more subtle approach.

The poron material is made for orthopedic and orthotics. It is flexible and molds to the body and absorbs concussion without the loss of feel. I started using it after I broke my back. I was a para until I improved too much to be eligible. Now I have years of experience with it. I started foxhunting again, and now I'm working towards eventing again.

Your breeches should be comfortable to ride in, no matter what you are doing...

In the same boat here...schooling a horse for a fellow who is 6'2" and the saddle is fitted for he and his 17.2 hh horse. Me? 5'3"...my bum is lost.

You might be able to try a lifter pad, lifting the back of the saddle, so you're not fighting uphill.

At home, I thought of a fluffy lambswool seat cover to take up some room.

I would get a Mattes pad which you can alter and pad up so that the saddle is more level, or more downhill for you?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Talking

You could always gain weight.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.