The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I do not want cheese with my whine

Can someone come to my house and ride my horse ? Or better yet can I send him to someone that actually has a ring that is able to ride him?

I would like to send him to you for free, you see because he is such a lovely soul, you should really be paying me to have the privilege of riding him.

I guess I can muck your stalls for you on the weekends, and Im really a great listener. So maybe we could find a way to "barter" for services. Life seemed so easy back then and now it revolves around this thing called money.

Everyone says that he would make a lovely dressage horse and since we event and dressage is the way to the win these days I know that he could be better than he is.

But, when all it does is rain and all you have to ride on is the side of hill well, flat work leaves much to be desired. Goals seem hard to obtain, and so far out of reach. Life seems stagnant and sometimes its easier to just muck a stall and go home when you know that riding wont get anything accomplished either. Riding by yourself is not any fun either.

P.S- I said I was a great listener, not a motivational speaker.

Tonight before you fall asleep, do something my mom always told me to do when I was feeling like life wasn't FAAAAIR. I never listened to her then, but I do it now . . . count your blessings. Bet you can think of a couple. Picture your life without those blessings. Then count them again.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    Goals seem hard to obtain, and so far out of reach. Life seems stagnant and sometimes its easier to just muck a stall and go home when you know that riding wont get anything accomplished either. Riding by yourself is not any fun either.
    There is an article in Horse & Rider (the UK version) this month about how this mom and daughter turned their "nice" dressage horse into a champ through in-hand work. Linda Telling-Jones has fabulous exercises on bomp-proofing (under/over/through things, could translate into "eventing" skills) that also increase suppleness and listening.

You can still do dressage work on a hill. A fabulous book is "Conditioning Sport Horses" which specifically outlines how to improve almost everything about your horse, even segments it into disciplines (dressage, eventing, reining, etc).

Life is stagnant because you have fallen into routine. It's a transitional season, you can have lots of dark, rainy days with bad footing or spooky windy arenas. However, if you can establish WHY specifically you're feeling crappy, then you can take steps to fix it. Like any long-term relationship with a person, riders can fall into slumps with their horse. Try some different things, fall in love with him (and riding) again by mixing it up.

I figure there are hundreds of little girls around the world that every day that would sell their heart and soul for a pony. You are who they dream to be!
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

I should hook you up with my trainer. I made the mistake of whining about something to her when we were on a trail ride together. We spent the next half hour schooling circles and side passes down a logging road. I learned not to whine. It hurts!

We like to call these... Luxury Problems... be glad that this is your challenge and not how to survive every day without...

And, in my mind, work towards what you want and not focus on what you don't. It works...

Good luck to you!

Adversity can make us better than we would be otherwise. Try to see it as a gift.

Right now I am not riding regularly at all because I am in Law School (another luxury) because I cannot make that happen financially and time-wise at the moment. BUT when I was riding in college 6 days a week I was flat broke and hand-to-mouth with the horse bills. I kept my mare a farm without an indoor and without a trainer because the board was all I could handle. What I saved in board I spent on lessons... about once a month. I would ship in to my trainers barn and SOAK up every single bit of feedback like it was the last lesson of my life. After a few months I got REALLY good a working (on the things that my trainer mentioned during the lesson) alone. I'd go back a month later and she'd say "My Gosh! You've completely fixed problem X from last lesson!" While I often felt like saying "Think how much better I'd be with weekly lessons!" I've learned that I really developed a skill in having to "fix" things on my own. A lot of people have to be told over and over.... give me a few exercises and I'll git 'er done on my own!

Look for a silver lining.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Do something different. Screw the dressage. Go on a paper chase or a trail ride. Barrel race or something! What the heck. Enjoy him. Riding isn't drudgery. He's a good horse! You're a good person, but you are NEVER alone when you ride because you have your best friend with you - your horse.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Follow the Doctor's orders (Deltawave), then get out and ride your horse. You have a wonderful hill for instilling that 5th leg which is far more important than dressage.
    Walk up and down the hill to build muscles and balance. As strength and balance improve begin walking up and trotting down.
    Another exercise is 'balanced' and steady trot serpentines across the face of the hill.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Enjoy that private time with your horse rather than thinking about not liking riding alone. Focus just on him and both of you will have much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    ... you are NEVER alone when you ride because you have your best friend with you - your horse.
    LOVE this....

And, when I'm "alone" when I ride, I ride with my iPod with one ear bud in (so I can still hear what's going on around me). I get to ride to fun music that I like (because I downloaded it!), and I consider it prep for my next musical freestyle!

Tonight before you fall asleep, do something my mom always told me to do when I was feeling like life wasn't FAAAAIR. I never listened to her then, but I do it now . . . count your blessings. Bet you can think of a couple. Picture your life without those blessings. Then count them again.

Thank you, deltawave...

My land is one big hill. The driveway does have good gravel on it and it is a long stretch. But the rest of the place has some pretty good patches of red clay.

If it rains a lot I just ride bareback and practice the working walk and trot on various portions of one slope or another and the driveway is a luxury.

The minute the rain stops, my horse is good to go for some serious workouts because we have stayed in tune riding bareback in the rain.

ETA: if I am riding a *shark fin* type horse I will come up with some kind of simple pad (bareback pad). A folded towel with a stretchy surcingle works great and all are washable later.

Default Wow.

Do something different. Screw the dressage. Go on a paper chase or a trail ride. Barrel race or something! What the heck. Enjoy him. Riding isn't drudgery. He's a good horse! You're a good person, but you are NEVER alone when you ride because you have your best friend with you - your horse.
    Thank you retread, even though I am not the OP, I really needed that!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

This should go in the "greatest hits" folder. You are so right. It is really liberating to identify why one rides and for me it is just what you describe: BECAUSE I STILL LOVE RIDING HORSES LIKE I DID WHEN I RODE FOR THE 1ST TIME AS A 4 YEAR OLD!

Ribbons-schmibbons....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Talking

Thanks for the pep-talk Im fortunate to have what I have. Most people dont.

Retread- Thats just the thing I want to work on it. I want desperatly to get better and improve and I have been trying to for several years. Every year Its the same excuses over and over again. I say excuses but its just reality.

I think part of my problem is that I really really enjoy ring work. I like that I can get on and actually WORK on something, Feel improvement.

Walking up hills just isnt my cup of tea. At least not when that is all you have done for a month, with no end in site!

I know I need to count my blessings.

So I am thankful for....

My horse who likes to bite( probably because he is bored). The mud because no mud equals no rain and no rain equals no grass and no grass equals a very very bored horse that bites.Im thankful for having land to ride on because if I didnt I would be complaing about only being able to do ring work. Im thankful for being able to keep him at "home". Im thankful for the early morning feeding because the office joke of how much hay I have in my hair wouldnt be as funny.

See- Im thankful

How about being thankful to HAVE a home, a horse, a job, and the good health and vigor to be able to get on and ride him . . . ?
    Click here before you buy.

Be grateful that you're not in Japan.

Eh, I hear the OP. Sometimes, even if you're as blessed as we are, it can be frustrating to not be able to accomplish something because of circumstances. Just because one has something to be grateful for and IS grateful doesn't mean that there aren't occasional frustrations.

Sez the person whose grass arena is at the bottom of a hill and is unrideable on a frequent basis, who is blessed with TBs who prefer to be in consistent work, and is FAR happier when working.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

While you may love the confines of a ring, your horse may be bored to death.
    There is no reason why you can't 'dressage' on a trail, hay field, around stadium jumps. You can be just as productive working on 'something' out of the ring.
    Be creative for both you and your horse's mind.

Cavalry riders, the original 'eventers,' did not sit around and bemoan their lack of an all-weather arena while preparing their horses for battle. They rode wherever they could.

Hill work is good stuff. Run with it. Be grateful, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WW_Queen View Post
    I figure there are hundreds of little girls around the world that every day that would sell their heart and soul for a pony. You are who they dream to be!
    I love that, and so true! My horse is a nightmare for me to ride right now. I say a prayer before I climb up there hoping I come back alive But if I give up, I'm letting down that little girl who wanted to be me more than anything else in the world. Thanks for the reminder!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau