The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Spin-off: ANYONE accept credit cards for boarding/training/farrier? Not Vets

Coming from the references thread, and made me curious.

If you do, is it worth it? Fees manageable?

ETA: Not vets guys, they aren't on the list for a reason I know most vets accept CCs, I mean the other parts of the industry.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Apr. 6, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Both of my vets do, neither farrier and neither barn does.

My vet and previous farrier do. I've never been at a boarding facility that accepted credit cards...drooling at the thought of all the rewards points I could rack up with that system!!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Veterinarian only. He's also the one with the office and the receptionist.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My farrier doesn't.

My barn accepts paypal, though.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Oh wow, Paypal, didn't think of that.

My barn has a CC machine. I think it has been there for a long time and the Fees have been grandfathered in. I do not know how much they pay for it.

Barn I work for accepts CC's for board, training, and lessons but not sales.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Interesting tabula rashah. Do you know if it's easy to use, what kind of fees are associated, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Oh wow, Paypal, didn't think of that.
    I think (don't quote me on this!!) that PayPal takes a smaller cut than the CC companies do too. PayPal payments for board would be VERY cool!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

At least half the boarders at our place pay by CC each month, and the points are divine.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

We used to accept them for lessons/boarding, but found that so few of our clients were using that option that we were losing money each month, so we discontinued. Practically nobody noticed.

I think it was around $12/month, with a 3% skim off each transaction.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

That's about right...$12/month with a 2.5% and up skim, except for American Express. Last time I checked, I think it was about 6%. Now debit cards are different, but then, no points.

My bank can take debit or ACH transfers for my clients, if I wanted to set it up in my billing. I only have one, so, I don't bother.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Our farrier and barn both do. I know that the farrier has some kind of deal where he can call in to a 1-800 number and run the card that way. Don't have any idea about what the fees are, though.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

You can take credit cards via Paypal. Very easy. Cost is a bit under 3% per transaction. Charged to the receiver of the money, not the sender.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I'd be leery of taking credit cards for some things because of how easy it is for someone to get a charge back - if they call their card company, the company default assumes they're right and it's up to the merchant to prove otherwise, and in the meantime the money is taken from the merchant's account.

Given the Crazy Boarder stories, I don't know if I'd take credit cards running a boarding barn...

kdow, no, it's not that easy to get a chargeback. The cc companies have to investigate the claim, but I really don't see them allowing someone to board their horse and not pay for it.

And it's WAY easier to write a check and then stop payment on it. And if someone is going to rip you off, they will find a way. Inconveniencing your good customers because you fear a ripoff is not good business.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

The last place I boarded the owner opened the place and had it CC ready from day one.
    He never had issues with late board or bounced checks.
    I ended up using it for the same reason Coreene mentioned: the point are fantastic!!!
    It works awesome IMO. However for those folks that don't keep up on CC payments or only pay bare minimums, it's a great way to get buried in debt really easy and really fast.
    I used the Amex which has to be paid off every month anyway, so no issues there.
    he also did prepaid cards...for lessons, etc. People could come in and buy gift certs or prepaid cards for so many lessons or whatever.
    My vet takes cards, my farrier doesn't. I have one CC used only for the animals for vet bills. And a checking account that's only for the barn/horses for everything else. (feed, shoes, hay, bedding, wormer, etc) That way it's really easy to track exactly what the boys cost. In one way it's great...however having an easy annual total of cost can also be depressing, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Interesting tabula rashah. Do you know if it's easy to use, what kind of fees are associated, etc?
    Yes, it's fairly easy- we have our merchant bank run everything through our Peach Tree accounting software. Fees run around 3% and we only accept MC and Visa (I believe Amer Ex charges higher merchant fees).

I think it's very worth it if you are doing a high enough volume of business that you can eat the 3%.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Wow, auto transfer would be an even better idea. Most, if not all of my bills are paid that way, one less thing to worry about. Only problem, I never balance my checkbook maybe once a year, if that. Thank God I have a SO that likes to play accountant, in his spare time.