The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think their price is dropping now due to the parent company bailing out of the US market - they lost their local manufacturer or something? There was a thread about it recently. Warranty/repairs are also affected - makes them a much less appealing buy all around.

Riiiiight. You make sure you steer clear of these disasters.

Where did you see a cheap one? I'd snap it up instantly. Brenderups are still the one of the best made trailers ever. Just getting impossible to find.

The thread is here

The fact that they are discontinuing US sales doesn't make the trailers a disaster, but it does affect the warranties and repairs.

I suppose it depends on the individual buyer/seller how much that fact ultimately affects price, but there are people who are not going to want to buy -- or at least not pay a premium price -- under these circumstances.

Which is great for the people who don't mind. Less competition in the market.

That should be all the more reason to snap one up now.

No, I meant the cheap trailer, if it exists is probably in a sad shape.

I saw one for pittance on the net, literally only a couple thousand bucks for a 2h.

If it's real and in good shape it won't be there for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

I see a woman dropping her kids off at school every couple of weeks with a Honda Pilot and a Brenderup. I think it would be nice and refreshing to have something so traffic friendly. I am still archaic though & like everything big and clunky!

I bought a Royal in 2003 to haul with my Subaru wagon (I know - gasp). I sold it in 2008 for what I paid and I had people beating down the door to buy it! I think they're great trailers - for me, it was definitely about acommodating my tow vehicle. A few years later, I bought a used Tundra and hauled it with that for a while before I decided to buy a Trail-et with a dressing room. The Brenderup hauled great with both vehicles. But I can assure you I got more strange/panicked looks hauling with the Subaru than with the Tundra.

I haul my Brenderup with a Subaru, too. Does a very nice job. I just bought a Tundra so I can tow the Brenderup AND a carriage in the back of the pickup.

These are remarkable trailers.

Then I guess I'll come out of the closet and admit that I pull my Solo with a Subaru wagon too. Yes, I get a lot of panicked looks. No, I am not concerned about the safety of my rig. I researched it to the nines.

Unfortunately, I'm now hemming and hawing about selling the trailer. I absolutely LOVE it but I'm in grad school and in a boarding situation where I hardly drive the thing. But it's so COOL and I'm worried that if I sell this one, I'll never have another like it.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

My question is now a "moo" point because the listing has disappeared. But I thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    My question is now a "moo" point because the listing has disappeared. But I thank you all for your input.

slow poke!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Would you really put your horse in a PORT-A-POTTY on wheels?

HoofaSchmigetty - hard to take you serious with a screen name such as this and an unqualified comment as the above.
    Have you ever even seen a Brenderup, let alone towed and used one?
    So just go away and let the rest of us help each other with experience-based advice.

HoofaSchmigetty posts this a lot and other trailer related posts, mostly bashing various brands. Ignore him/her.
    ----------------------------------------
    PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
    http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
    ----------------------------------------

brenderup replacement parts -

Give Jay Martin a call. 432-556-9631 or email jayandshawnie@suddenlink.net. He is handling Brenderup parts in the USA.
    Susan

I really wanted a B'rup when looking a few years back, settled on a 2H WW that I picked up at a good price in the meantime. That really bites to hear they won't be selling in the US anymore
    I really wish they had come out with some of type of LQ hybrid for the dressing room. Then I'd def go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by paintedtrails View Post
    I really wish they had come out with some of type of LQ hybrid for the dressing room. Then I'd def go for it!
    Fautras makes one like that called the Olympus Voyager. No idea if it's available in the US yet (I'm guessing not.) It's a 2-horse trailer with a living quarters including kitchen with sink/propane burner/fridge and a bathroom with toilet and sink (no shower). The table/seating area in the LQ converts to a double bed. They say the fully laden weight (with horses) = 2000 kgs, which is about 4450 pounds.
    http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/N...pusVoyager.htm

I'm sure it will cost a bloody fortune. Even this one, which appears to be used, is selling in Britain for the equivalent of $22K+:
    http://www.horseboxandtrailer.co.uk/...0684849911.htm
    Last edited by jn4jenny; May. 31, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

I had one for 8 years and my friend called it a "porta-potty on wheels" - lol, I think she was jealous!

Re the trailer, I had very few issues other than normal maintenance and the effects of winter weather on things. I hauled it w/ a Tahoe. IF anyone is looking to snap one up somewhere, I would have the following opinions.
    First, I loved it; hauled well, easy to maneuver, steady.
    Second, I had a 2-horse but realistically it was most appropriate for one (mine are on the larger side...). Used the second stall for hay and stuff.
    Third, I'm personally not fond of hauling by myself more than an hour or two, so the issue of long term comfort was not a problem.
    Fourth, all my horses were happy to load themselves - a good thing, as there's not a ton of room to be in there w/them.

Said brenderup was recently traded in as the current horse, who is the smallest of the three I've hauled, was scrambling around pretty bad on corners. I tried her in a slant load, she's 100x better, so traded the little bugger in.

I bought my Brenderup Baron Insta-Tack new in 1997. I cannot even count the number of people who have tried to buy it from me since then. It hauls like a dream and is still in almost like new condition. I doubt I will ever decide to sell it. It is my favorite of all my trailers for ease of operation. My horses love it too!
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I towed my brenderup royal tc with a F150 for years. LOVED it. Best 2-horse trailer I've ever seen, towed, or put my horse in. I eventually had to sell it, but it went to a friend who I think really enjoys it.

I would not repaint it IMHO. The sides are not steel; they're not rusting. So the cost of repainting doesn't make it worth the "pretty" factor. Are you looking at the wood-composite one or the solid sided kind? My old one was the wood-composite type of sides. The sides brightened up alot with a good cleaning and oiling.

Do check the floor of course. It doesn't have the solid wood planks you'll find in other trailers. So if it is bad, you'll want a Brenderup replacement floor.

Brenderups hold their value and an affordable used one is hard to find. I had to drive 5 states away to bring mine back when I found it. If you can find one in halfway decent shape for under $5k, jump on it.

I have one. Original tow vehicle purchased with it was a 2005 5.4L V8 F-150. Recently upgraded to a 2005 6L F-250. Am I WAYYY overpowered? Yeah. But I don't care, much better than being underpowered.

And for the record, I also tow a 3-horse GN with the 250, that was the real reason behind the purchase
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding