The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brenderup

Two quick questions:

Is it stupid to haul a Brenderup with a full-sized 1/2 ton pickup? I've only seen them hauled by SUV's.

How much would it cost to get one repainted?

Last I looked a truck was better for pulling.

You only have to make sure the hitch is level, as I think most truck hitches a little high.

As for repainting? Not sure. Since they are fiberglass, maybe as a boat place (then again, a lot of new cars are as well...)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Well yes. I realize that a truck is a better tow vehicle. I guess I wondered why I've never seen a truck hauling a B.

well, people who own brenderupts usually don't own a truck, and people with trucks think they are death traps
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I haul the Prestige model with our F-150. The truck likes it much better than the other trailers I pulled (Trailet steel frame aluminum skin bumper pull) and gets way better gas mileage and feels less taxing on the motor & transmission. I have hauled it with the owner's Honda Pilot and it scares me a bit just b/c you don't have the wheel base length and you get whipped all over the road when a semi drives by or the horse moves around.

I pull mine with a V8 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee- hauls like a dream. No reason you can't haul it with a truck. Just like any trailer, make sure its level and that you have the right electric hook-up.

I would guess you don't see many with trucks because they are double-triple the price of other trailers, so there isn't a huge reason to spend the extra if you have a truck that can pull a standard design trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I would guess you don't see many with trucks because they are double-triple the price of other trailers, so there isn't a huge reason to spend the extra if you have a truck that can pull a standard design trailer.
    This.

We've hauled one with a GMC Sonoma for 15 years, and no problem. Currently hauling one with a Honda Odyssey.

True, we haul Morgans topping out at 850 lbs., but it's the B'upster that makes the difference.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

My Brenderup travels nicely behind my Tundra. It's well within the truck's towing capacity- which is dependent on engine, model, extended cab or not/wheelbase, etc.

I pulled my Brenderup with a half ton pickup for several years. But I think the observation that mostbpeople buy Brenderups to accomodate a tow vehicle (as opposed to,the other way around) is probably the reason.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, people who own brenderupts usually don't own a truck, and people with trucks think they are death traps
    I love one liners! Funny!
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    I love one liners! Funny!

Default Brenderup design

I've heard it all in regards to the Brenderup. They are not for everyone or for that matter every horse. But can't that be said for any type/brand of trailer?

I have a Brenderup and when I first got it I hauled it with a Mazda 6cy pickup for a few years, then a Ford pu, an 8cy Jeep Grand Cherokee and now with a 2003 Toyota Tundra. Every one of those vehicles were perfect for hauling.

Don't forget why they were designed and where they originated. Europe where fuel is much higher than here, and they just don't have large pu's like we have here.

I think if your vehicle is set up for safely hauling and you use common sense, and are comfortable with it, it's a personal decision.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I priced out non-Brenderups with the same dimensions as a Baron once. Turns out warmblood size trailers are about the same, or more than Brenderups!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    I priced out non-Brenderups with the same dimensions as a Baron once. Turns out warmblood size trailers are about the same, or more than Brenderups!
    It depends. I priced out a new Hawk 2H, dressing room, rumbar floor, fancy tack box. I could have had it around 14k. All in, I spent 19500 on my Baron L SL.

My Baron TC was $16k w tax/delivery a couple years ago. But at any rate - $19.5k is not double or triple (200-300%) the price.... more like... 20% more expensive?
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

My first trailer was a Brenderup Royal, bought it in 1994 for $9k. Sold/traded it 7-8 years later with about zero depreciation. They do hold their value.
    Click here before you buy.

That's awesome, no depreciation after that many years.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    My Baron TC was $16k w tax/delivery a couple years ago. But at any rate - $19.5k is not double or triple (200-300%) the price.... more like... 20% more expensive?
    Fair. But I most certainly would have bought the Hawk used for $6-8k. I couldn't find the Brenderup used to save my life.

There is a Brenderup listed in-state for a song, which caused me to wonder about towing with a truck. I already have a trailer but am always looking for the next good deal. It was more curiosity than anything else! Thanks for everyone's input.

I saw a cheap one the other day, too...
    I would preceed with caution...