The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has Rio Grande produced top jumping horses?

Pretty much what the title says.
    I know he has produced countless hunters of high qualiber but what about jumpers? Does his babies generally have scope?
    Thanks!

According to Paardenfokken, he produced Catwalk (out of a Landgraf I x Furioso II mare) who is a 1.60m jumper.

2010: 2766e pl. WBFSH ranking list jumping
    2009: 1458e pl. WBFSH ranking list jumping
    2008: 604e pl. WBFSH ranking list jumping
    2006: 1673e pl. WBFSH ranking list jumping
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

http://www.wbfsh.org/files/Jumping_horse_final01.pdf

just do a search of a stallions name to see how he has contributed to the list.

Darrin Dlin's world cup mare Catwalk is by Rio. A friend also had a mare with scope to 1.45 that was by him

From a performance perspective, the Rio's mature early. As 4-year-olds, they show well in the young horse classes, being physically mature and showing good form over jumps. They also show themselves to have a dull temperament - it is common lore among the trainers here that you can hit them over the head with a 2 x 4 and they wouldn't notice. These characteristics tend to make them popular choices for amateur riders showing in the hunters, and certainly explains why many of the horses that shone in the young horse jumper classes never made it to the upper jumper levels as older horses. Not without talent and scope, they probably lack a bit of 'edge' and quickness that is so desirable in an upper level horse.
    Sentinel Hill Farm
    Home of VDL Windsor H

Rio was bred to so many mares that sometimes the ones he would have crossed best with didnt make it to him.
    There is one by him out of Diorella (she was a Team Canada horse Don Juan-EcuadorXX) who would have had the genes to do it, dont know what happened to him, his name was Dior or something.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

If by top you mean Olympic horses, no he has not sired any Olympic jumpers. But he has produced very good horses. Along with Catwalk who won 2 World Cup Qualifiers, I always loved Rio's Rhapsody. I saw her win a 50k and come in third in a 100k Grand Prix. Oh, and there are great photos of Catwalk jumping at WEF after her bridle broke of in the ring.
    I've had five Rio's out of performance mares and they all have plenty of scope. How much, we will probably never know. One is winning in the adult hunters and I don't think the owner will ever want to jump higher than that, another young one is winning in the pre-greens and will be moving up to the derbies next year. I have two Rio's at home and scope is one thing they both have plenty of as well. My trainer would joke I needed Oxygen when we started jumping my then young Rio - he's the one leaping over pole below as a baby. I also posted a photo of him at his second show. The power on that one is amazing and I was told the same about Rio Mio - very scopey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	32507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catwalkagain.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	32508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ravgifthillfarm.jpg.w300h240.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	32510  
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

Default Considerations

[QUOTE=Rocky XVI;5532863]From a performance perspective, the Rio's mature early. As 4-year-olds, they show well in the young horse classes, being physically mature and showing good form over jumps. They also show themselves to have a dull temperament - it is common lore among the trainers here that you can hit them over the head with a 2 x 4 and they wouldn't notice. These characteristics tend to make them popular choices for amateur riders showing in the hunters, and certainly explains why many of the horses that shone in the young horse jumper classes never made it to the upper jumper levels as older horses.

I agree with the poster - with the following additions:

1) Here, in North America there are very few trainers who are competent and willing to develop top quality young horses. If the youngsters do not get the perfect start and early development, it is much less likely that they will reach the top.
    2) American riding has been based and developed on riding TBs. Most trainers/riders use methods and techniques that are more suited to bring up generally more hotter, faster, smaller horses, as opposed to the more laid back, larger power jumpers. There are very few jumper riders/trainers with correct dressage background who understand how to develop the latter-type horses.
    3) Very few trainers in North America understand that the forward thinking must be developed in the more laid-back, larger horses. These young horses can not be developed in a small ring - they need to be ridden in open fields, galopped and trotted on long, straight, open lines without interfering with the forward movement. That requires a lot of skill, experience and knowledge.