The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage stallion suggestions

Ok...I'm bored at work. I may be getting a new mare (I will know this weekend). She is a lovely Hanoverian mare who unfortunately got injured (pasture accident). Schooled 3rd level and looked like she had the right stuff for GP dressage (as told by several top trainers). Free jumped and is a very good and scopey jumper. Has produced one lovely correct filly already.

She is VERY tall 17.3 and a touch quirky under saddle (forward and sensitive ride--I like that but not everyone does). Chestnut with sensitive skin. But otherwise she is extremely well put together--very uphill. Three very correct and lovely gaits.

Here is her pedigree.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/whizzo2

I'm an eventer--but I would be breeding for re-sale---although I seem to have trouble selling and like to keep everything. I have no doubt I could breed a good jumping horse from her but I'm thinking given her pedigree and her type, I should aim for a dressage sire--that would probably sell more easily than an event foal. (I know what direction I would go for eventing with her but dressage breeding is new to me).

Right now, I'm thinking For Compliment but am really open to suggestions (either frozen or fresh). What lines typically cross well with her lines?

I don't have her yet...but I will need to move quickly if I get her...just looking for suggestions from the minds here on COTH.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 5, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

It would be much better to post a photo of her so we could see what might need improving.

I think F line (as in Florestan) is known for throwing excellent brains.

OMG, I just read the end of your post. For Compliment is by Findmark who is by Florestan! He could work.

Check out some of the other Florestans too.

Is For Compliment still available frozen? I have heard it can't be ordered through Schockemohle anymore?

bornfreenowexpensive is offline Supreme Procrastinator Premium Member
    Original Poster

If I get her...I'll take some photos this weekend. I know it is so hard without any.

She really is pretty correct--nice shoulder, great angles. Not too long or too short... Big ears

I'll look at some other F-line stallions (and keep For Compliment high on my list)
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    Is For Compliment still available frozen? I have heard it can't be ordered through Schockemohle anymore?

I think you are correct although I've seen it available a few places as "in stock".

What about Rubignon? That gives you GP dressage with the best of Hannovarian bloodlines - Donnerhall, Rubenstein and Pike Bube.

Fresh seman out of California.
    Sandy in Fla.

Oh my!

The mare is from the same damline as my hannoverian mare Wildrose (Walt Disney I- Lemon xx).
    They both have St. Pr. Argentella as their 3rd dam. So exciting
    Is your mare's breeder also Zuchtbetrieb Marschalk-Pecksen?

I've googled to find more horses for their damline, some of them you can find here: <http://www.paardenfokken.nl/family.php?horseid=659962>

I'm breeding Wildrose to Mighty Magic this year to get an eventer for a friend of mine.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by qimma View Post
    Is your mare's breeder also Zuchtbetrieb Marschalk-Pecksen?

(She's not mine yet--but hopefully). Yes I think that was her breeder. She was imported as a weanling.

I'm pretty sure she could produce a nice event horse too...and I might still go that direction. But I do think a dressage foal may be easier to sell and for me to part with

For an eventer/jumper....I might go with Coconut Grove...he seems to put very sensible minds on the offspring that I've seen. And given the amount of blood in her pedigee (and her conformation/gaits etc.)--crossed with a TB she could produce a top quality eventer. Her dam line is similar to a lot of very good eventers.

By the way, if you're looking for F-line stallion, you should check out Fürst Fugger from gestut Sprehe. Wildrose had a good looking and strong moving colt out of him last year. Allthough I don't know for sure how he freezes (We live in Southern Finland so it's quite easy to get fresh from Germany).

Another thought might be Sir Shutterfly. My friend has an excellent SS filly. Gaits are good enough for her to do very well at the DSHB shows, including Res Ch GAIG Region 8 Filly. She jumps out of her pasture over a 6' gate. Her brain is wonderful. And she was named US Champion Young Event Horse in hand last year. She's actually a near carbon copy of her daddy except she's grey.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

A stallion that is reported to reduce size, add type and above average athleticism is Stalypso.

Just throwing a name out there that we've considered for some of our taller ladies.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Unless you already own For Compliment semen or know somebody who has it . . .you probably won't be able to get any For Compliment frozen semen in the U.S. Paul S. doesn't have any more that he'll sell to the US as far as I know . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I just emailed Superior Equine Sires, and they are out and will not be getting anymore in

Quote Originally Posted by qimma View Post
    By the way, if you're looking for F-line stallion, you should check out Fürst Fugger from gestut Sprehe. Wildrose had a good looking and strong moving colt out of him last year. Allthough I don't know for sure how he freezes (We live in Southern Finland so it's quite easy to get fresh from Germany).
    I believe Judy Yancey has Fürst Fugger frozen either in stock, or coming in.

Edited to add that, other than Absatz in the 4th generation and 5th generations, the OP's mare has a fairly outcrossed pedigree. I might be thinking in terms of linebreeding for that mare. Fürst Fugger would bring in Weltmeyer again, but another option might be to go with Belissimo M or his son Benidetto to bring in the Bolero blood again.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I believe Judy Yancey has Fürst Fugger frozen either in stock, or coming in.

He's lovely. Not sure I want to double up on Weltmeyer though. I may look at another son of Fürst-Heinrich.

All great suggestions....please keep them coming!

"Not sure I want to double up on Weltmeyer though"

-That's a good point.

What about Bonifatius (Belissimo M-Lauries Crusador xx- Lemon Park)? He was the winner of the 300 day test and seems to be very popular now in Hannover. You woul double up Bolero and Lemon xx. The foal would also have quite al lot of xx in his pedigree.

Bonifatius is an option for Wildrose next time when I'm breeding for myself.

Another possibility is Rubino Bellissimo. He brings Bolero blood through his dam, as well as the blood of the great eventing stallion Volturno. And he is by Rubinstein I, who was not only a legendary dressage horse and sire, but also a pretty decent jumper (scored over 124 points in jumping at his 100 day stallion test, finishing in 4th place of 66 horses for jumping). And Rubino Bellissimo is not big (16.1-ish, I believe), so he might help downsize your mare. He is siring lovely, typey foals with good movement and a lot of charm and charisma, and I understand that many are being started under saddle by their amateur owners.

Original Poster

Thanks....I have a lot to think about. The mare's trainer/rider is a good friend of mine so if I get her, she will help me pick the first date.

My friend said of the one thing she would try and improve (although a duplicate of the mare would be perfectly fine is to increase her freedom in her shoulder.

She has very correct gaits but not the extravagant shoulder movement that seems to be all the rage in UL dressage.

Since this foal is for sale....I'm trying to think not just what will be a super foal but what will be a super marketable foal!

Lots to think about.....any thoughts on these two for her?

Fuerstenball or Fidertanz

(San Amour also caught my friend's eye--and he is a hunk)

If I did go for more line breeding....besides the other suggestions here--Sarkozy got my attention. Any thoughts on him? I like a lot of the younger stallions but they are still so unproven.....

http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s.../sarkozy.shtml

I was just going to suggest Sarkozy when I read about increasing shoulder freedom. He supposedly has a very good walk as well, and isn't heavy in type.

But you said you didn't want to double up on the Weltmeyer.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!