The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And I would be very happy with a 3' course, trails and a bit of cross country. The mare has a curious, but relaxed demeanor. Last night getting her off ther trailer she stopped, smelled around, processed and then popped off. If a horse can process they can be taught to be a good trail horse. If is the horses that react first, think later that may be more difficult or not relaxed. I'm not too worked about her .

Her JC name is Buns in the Oven. But I know nothing more than that. I'd love to know more though if I ew how to find it! Her show name with me will be American Honey (like the Lady Antebellum song) and her barn name will be Ali.
    Lesmiz_07

Quote Originally Posted by Lesmiz_07 View Post
    So I tried yer yesterday and she came home with me! She is beautiful, sweet and you can see talent all over her! Her butt isn't near as scrawny in person and I think with proper muscle building, her top line will be really beautiful. I'll try to get some new pics today.

YAY! My trainer/instructor once told me that a picture is a speck in time and it's always stuck in my head when I look at pictures. You can't always judge from a photo. I'm so glad you didn't pass because of the not so flattering picture, and that she's got a new home. I'm always thrilled to death when an OT horse gets a new lease too .....best of luck and post some more pictures for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesmiz_07 View Post
    So I tried yer yesterday and she came home with me! She is beautiful, sweet and you can see talent all over her! Her butt isn't near as scrawny in person and I think with proper muscle building, her top line will be really beautiful. I'll try to get some new pics today.
    What a shock . I'm so happy for you, she really is lovely! Here's her pedigree: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=8000543 She's unraced, so no info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    What a shock . I'm so happy for you, she really is lovely! Here's her pedigree: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=8000543 She's unraced, so no info on that.
    Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! It is awesome to know her actual birthday and information about her sire and dam! You are the best

Editing and uploading pics as we speak
    Lesmiz_07

Yay! Can't wait to see the photos
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Here are the pics of her at my place. I did my best to get a decent shot, but it was hard because she is wiggly! lol I'm very happy with her, though. Regardless of how she is put together, she has beautiful gaits, lots of athleticism and a great brain! I'm very excited to have found her

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...irstDay048.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...irstDay038.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...irstDay023.jpg
    Last edited by Lesmiz_07; Apr. 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Lesmiz_07

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

"gaits" lol gates are what you shut to the pasture (sorry couldnt resist after your first post)

She is lovely, and she should jump well with her pedigree! Keep us posted for sure!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

lol honestly, I do know these things lol I just forget!!
    Lesmiz_07

Love the photos and good luck!! Bringing a new horse home is always exciting, and especially a youngster whom you have the chance to watch learn and grow
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Oh yes, she's just as cute as I imagined. I love that roany look (is it my imagination? Does she have white at the top of her tail?). Congratulations...hope her transition goes smoothly and you have many happy years together .

She does have white at the top of her tail! She has this spot white as her tailbone starts. Her papers say chestut, but the lady who I got her from was calling her a red roan. I'm curious to see how she sheds out.
    Lesmiz_07

Great, can't wait to see new pics!

Quote Originally Posted by colorfan View Post
    Great, can't wait to see new pics!
    They are posted in a post a few comments up
    Lesmiz_07

I am so happy for you ! I brought my OTTB home about a month ago and he is very easy going and a joy to work with. Keep us posted, it has been over 12 years since I had a baby to work with and I would love to hear how others are doing with their new TB babies. Congratulations.

I was hoping you'd get her!! Congratulations -- she's lovely!!

Dang, she may have a few issues but a too small back end is not one of them, nice hip there. And 4 is a perfect age, you can get right into serious work with her and not have to wait a year or two.

Have your farrier look at her in front, she looks a smidge set back on her heels and has just a bit more pastern then text book perfect-but the cannon looks flat and short so it is probably something to be aware of but not worry too much about.

Keep us posted. She looks like she is going to be fun for the 3' courses and general pleasure riding.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Nice to know from her pedigree that she's unraced and already 4 years old so those joints should be fused, shortening your wait on ground poles and small logs you find on the trails.

Interesting why there's a discrepancy between what the pedigree said and the TB adoption farm claimed.

Good luck with her, Ali is super cute!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

That white at the top of the tail is called a 'coon tail'. She is a bit roan, but this is not the regular 'roan' gene: this particular roaning pattern is called 'Rabicano'. A rabicano has a coon tail and roaning, that can range from just a bit in the flanks, to the whole body.

And by the way, I sure hope her joints don't fuse. It will be her growth plates that fuse! (There is a joint in the hock, that has VERY little movement, that can cause lameness in some horses, that can actually fuse- at which time the horse goes sound.) But really, when we're talking about fusion in a young horse, we're talking about cartilage being converted to bone. In a very young horse, the ends of the bones are not bones at all, but cartilage. The bones in the spine will not completely fuse their growth plates until the horse is 6 or more. Thanks to naturalequus for the 'Ranger Piece' link that explains all this in detail.

LOVE her face in those photos Congrats!!

Thanks so much everyone! She has been a pleasure to get to know over these past few days and is such a hard worker with a smart head on her! She is free longing over ground poles and today we conquered scary stumps on the trail lol. She can trot and canter a 15-20 meter circle and has both leads. Ground manners are pristine and she comes from the field when she is called! Lol love her already!

That is so interesting about the rabicano! I knew she wasn't quite a roan, but I wasn't sure what to call her lol thanks so much!

And the rescue had her as a three year old, so I imagine they just missed her birthday this past year. She only turned four two months ago, so it isn't like there is a huge difference. I'm glad that she is ready for training. I'm not going to do much jumping yet, still want to build confidence under saddle, but if she progresses as quickly as I think she will, we might be there before the year is out

And a yeah, we will be working on getting her off her heels since she was on the track, but slow and steady I guess. We had a horse at the barn go lame after a fast change off of his racing style so I dont want to rush it.
    Lesmiz_07