The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My problem exactly. Both of our other horses are on it, and they have been on it for years, and no ill effects. However, I think its just not right for my guy.

Funny thing is though, he isn't hot undersaddle or in the field, just in general around the barn. He's nervous, looky, dances on the crossties (a LOT), whereas before you could almost forget him on the cross ties because he was such a quiet "stander".

Just while I was standing around talking to someone yesterday, he was jumpy, looky, and just appeared to be a nervous wreck.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

If the jumpy behavior only occurs when he's on the cross-ties, then why not just take him off the cross-ties for a while?

Groom him in his stall, ground tie him in a different aisle.

You may be overthinking this by looking at his feeding regimen as the cause.

JMHO
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I had my 24 year old on TC Senior since he was 19 and he'd go through cycles where'd he'd be high as a kite for a few days, then go back to normal for a bit. Something would set him off and he'd be a terror to ride-whether I had to get after him with a crop for not listening to me, or I rode before his dinner time, or a cat ran by the indoor....something. The person who described their horse as being a cracked out spider monkey pretty much had it spot on.

I switched off of the senior in January because it was getting too pricey in my area, and switched to SS's Triple 10 mixed with Legends 18% fat rice pellets, and his behavior has modifies. He's more focused. If something spooky happens, he doesn't care, if he needs a tap from a crop, he gets over it, instead of trying to put me in the rafters.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Yeah, same here.

I know my horse pretty well. Now that I am back in town, I will be switching over his feed....

He isn't just loopy in xties, he reacts so much more to external stimuli everywhere.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

My appy is on the stuff and he's done brilliantly on it. I practically swear by TC, I've never seen a horse do badly on it. However, nothing is perfect for every horse, so do what you think is best for your particular critter
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Well, one of mine went nuts on the 30% supplement. So, you never know. Mine are all calm on TC Senior.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

With regards to grain, the mfg's are trying to cut costs and make more money so they are using more and more soy which is cheap. Therefore they are increasing the soy in feed, and that in itself can make a horse like a spider monkey on crack. Great description Islgrl !!!

This article on feeding soy to horses may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...e-feed-options

There is currently no scientific evidence to say that soy has any negative effects on horses. Yes, some horses can indeed be allergic to soybeans just as they can any other ingredient.

Soy is actually a wonderful ingredient added into horse feeds because it is contains one of the better balances of esssenctial amino acids which include lysine, threonine, and methione. Soy is high in protein and relatively low in starch and sugar.
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

Id just like to note that I feed all my horses that are varying ages and breeds and work loads the 30% supplement as a ration balancer. I find it is much higher quality than purinas enrich 32 or similar RBs. It has made previously hard keepers into easy keepers by leveling out their nutrition. I can add calories by adding one of TCs other feed lines to it in percentages.

You dont feed the supplement like you do a feed. You are only giving 1/2 to 2 lbs a DAY. It isnt to add calories, just nutrients and quality protein a horse on only grass hay might be lacking. It doesnt make any of my horses hyper and it is 9% NSC.

TC hit a home run with the 30% supplement. Love it.

Default TC Lite + TC SR here...

...and my OTTB gelding is the calmest he's ever been! I have to special order the TC 30% and the delivery isn't always on time - so far the TC lite (12% protein) is doing fine - I add a lb of Sr. to a lb of Lite and my low level eventer is in good weight, plenty of energy, AND has become much quieter and less reactive to the ridiculous stuff he would take issue with and spook! It did take some time to find the right combination though. My OTTB mare is on TC Low Starch and has been incredibly sweet, cooperative for the young woman who is working with her for me. On another attempt at getting her started, very capable trainer fed TC Complete, mare was VERY reactive and high...brought her home, took her off all grain, then slowly put her back on the low starch and she was her sweet self again. They are all different .
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Well, as it turns out seems like it was feed related... haven't settled on a new feed yet totally, but being off of the TC Senior seemed to bring back my solid citizen.

I have found success with Tribute Solutions 10. Getting it in my area has been difficult though!

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    The 30% says its for breeding stallions, lactating mares, etc (ie: only horses with huge calorie needs).
    Wrong.

The 30% supplement is a ration balancer, specifically to provide horses with vitamins and minerals WITHOUT the calories. You feed 1lb daily and that's only 1266 calories.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Eh - just copied what the TC rep said that the bag said.

Besides, horse is much happier, and actually keeping weight better on the new feed.

Adding:

Now, since they discontinued the other bag (lower %), the 30% bag now says (according to the website):
    This pelleted supplement is specifically designed for growing horses and broodmares as well as those performance horses who need quality protein.

But we don't always use things as the manufacturer describes them (ie: my horse was on senior feed as a "non-senior").
    Last edited by naters; Jan. 24, 2013 at 02:27 PM.