The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Current CEM restrictions - shipping semen from the US to Canada?

Have there been any changes to the CEM restrictions this year (for shipping semen into Canada from the US)?

I briefly checked Kathy's site, www.equine-reproduction.com, and from the news on the homepage it sounds like things are the same (and are not likely to change in the near future). *sigh*

Does anyone know if this is still accurate? http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...o-Canada.shtml

Our main problem is with the USDA office requirements. Having to deliver the paperwork in person for endorsement in our State's capital + having to make an appointment with them to do so at least 24 hours in advance just hasn't been practical. Our collecting vet also wants to charge our mare owners tons extra to do this, even if I do the traveling to the USDA office myself, rrr (they are the closest collecting vet to us by far though, so we are a bit stuck with what they choose to do).

If things have changed at all - to allow us to go to a closer USDA office, or even better, to be able to fax things to the USDA for endorsement instead of having to be there in person, it would make things so much more do-able.

Thanks in advance for any info!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmbloodColor View Post
    Have there been any changes to the CEM restrictions this year (for shipping semen into Canada from the US)?
    Unfortunately, no. Things are still the same. We don't have to make an appointment here in Oklahoma, but we "do" have to be there by 1:30 (and they take an hour for lunch from 12 to 1). It's 80 miles from us. We get it done, but it is awkward. Hopefully, we'll get back our CEM free status at some point. Until then, we'll just have to continue jumping through hoops :P
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Thanks Kathy, I was afraid of that. Just not having to make the appointment 24 hours in advance would make things much easier for us! I guess that is a WA state thing.

When I mentioned that mares aren't always nice enough to give us a lot of warning and asked if it would ever be possible to set up an appointment or come in if we had less lead time, I was was told that there would be absolutely no guarantees that they would see us if that happened, even if we came in and sat in their office for hours waiting to be fit in.
    Last edited by Blacktree; Apr. 4, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio

Quote Originally Posted by WarmbloodColor View Post

When I mentioned that mares aren't always nice enough to give us a lot of warning and asked if it would ever be possible to set up an appointment or come in if we had less lead time, I was was told that there would be absolutely no guarantees that they would see us if that happened, even if we came in and sat in their office for hours waiting to be fit in.
    So, have your mare owners call when the mare first comes into estrus, then call and make an appointment with USDA regardless of if they need the certificate endorsed or not. If they don't need it that day, call and cancel and make the appointment for the next day...wash, rinse and repeat until you get the date right . It's apparent they didn't say that you HAD to keep the appointment but I do believe you will find that USDA is obligated to provide you with the service if you do schedule another appointment. You "can" make this work. Sometimes you've just to beat the government at their own game!

I like your thinking Kathy, great advice.
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

No changes. Last year the facility that stood at stud my stallion Cicera's Icewater shipped his fresh cooled to Canada, and it arrived late! Everything was done by the book. Permissions paid. And Canadian Customs messed it up, royally.

My heart went out to the mare owner. Now we ship frozen semen to Canada, it's the same paperwork, but it will BE THERE! Stored, and when the mare needs it, nobody can mess up the shipment.

Anna

Speaking of frozen... This may be a very stupid question so forgive me.

I know the rules and the hoops to jump through for fresh. I would presume the frozen would be the same... But for export of frozen would the stallion have to be collected any differently prior to frozen? (In the sense that you have to quarantine etc like you would for export to Europe). Or can I just do all the paperwork etc and send frozen to CAN as if it were fresh?
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    ... for export of frozen would the stallion have to be collected any differently prior to frozen? (In the sense that you have to quarantine etc like you would for export to Europe). Or can I just do all the paperwork etc and send frozen to CAN as if it were fresh?
    You would collect as for fresh - no quarantine or testing (at this time). The only difference from a domestic use freezing collection would be that the veterinarian will have to sign off on the health status of the stallion on the day of collection (i.e. you need to have your vet inspect the stallion on that day, just as you would for a cooled shipment), and you should keep some sort of a record of that for future use when exporting the semen.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by holsteinersrock View Post
    No changes. Last year the facility that stood at stud my stallion Cicera's Icewater shipped his fresh cooled to Canada, and it arrived late! Everything was done by the book. Permissions paid. And Canadian Customs messed it up, royally.

My heart went out to the mare owner. Now we ship frozen semen to Canada, it's the same paperwork, but it will BE THERE! Stored, and when the mare needs it, nobody can mess up the shipment.

Anna
    This is my big fear. There are just so many ways a fresh/cooled shipment could get delayed with all the red tape required and I would feel terrible if that happened to one of our mare owners! We've been thinking of doing the same thing, offering frozen as an option to Canadian mares.

Thanks Kathy for the info -
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

Yes, it can be done Kathy, but it's pretty tenuous when it all comes down to ONE customs officer on the CDN side, who may or may not give a **** about whether some random person gets their package on time.
    Last year, I dealt with a very ignorant/irresponsible customs agent, who whined that the "USDA seal wasn't fully visible" on the health certificate thingie. Fedex had a copy of it as well, and the Fedex guy said to me "i don't know what he's talking about.. there's maybe a sliver of the bottom of the seal that's missing, but all the pertinent info is there!!".
    Managed to get a hold of the USDA office in Kentucky, asked lady to fax document again - no problem. Got confirmation that it went through before calling customs back (15 min later). Got same stupid customs person - claimed "fax hasn't gotten here yet". Bullsh*t. Called back 15 min later - sorry ma'am, fax isn't here yet. I threatened and yelled and asked to speak to the supervisor/manager, IMMEDIATELY. Was put on hold, and lo & behold, when they got back on the phone the fax had magically arrived.

Fedex guy was fantastic, very sympathetic and even went to clear the package FOR me so i could just zip over to the Fedex counter instead of going to Customs.

It was a very, very close call. Had i not been able to get through to the USDA lady on time, i would've been screwed. Had the shipment come in on a Saturday, i would've been screwed. And i don't want to have to worry about some moron on a power trip at Customs EVER again.