The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default tell tell signs of ulcers?

I have a boarder who I know can't afford scoping. I suspect ulcers but I have never dealt with them either, what are the most obvious signs and causes for ulcers?

Horse is a teenage TWH, she lost a lot of weight over the winter. Very ribby right now. Had hay in front of her the entire time (fescue) Did notice she didn't seem to eat the hay much. 24-7 turnout with 2 other horses, she just stood around.

She is grumpy. Bosses the other horses and still doesnt eat that much. Picks at her grain. Isn't ridden much, basically a pasture ornament. Regularly dewormed. Had her teeth floated in Feb, after weight loss. Still not gaining much. Switched her feed from horsemans edge 6/10 to southern states 10/10/10 and added calf manna and farnum weight builder, currently soaking her feed also.

Any ideas?

Ulcers sound like a possibility. How old is the mare?
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Grumpiness, ears back at feed time, weight loss, poor coat, girthiness, colic symptoms....

She could try a few tubes of Gastroguard and see if there is any improvement, and it would tell you and save the cost of scoping. GG is so expensive, but there is no point going down the road of all the other treatments only to have to come back to GG in the end because the others have not worked. Even the compounded stuff does not have the coating.

If I were you or the owner I'd take a look at the current thread on the offshore made GG copy - Deltawave has looked into it and another poster tested the coating on it and approved it......personally, dunno.

lets see, her papers say she is 14. The vet and the dentist both think she is over 20.

A cheap, easy, though a bit time consuming test, would be 3mg/lb of ranitidine (ie generic Zantac), every 8 hours, for about 5 days.

If symptoms start to subside, then you can be reasonable sure ulcers are the culprit.

If going the Gastro/Ulcergard route is too $$, it can be done with the continued 3x/day ranitidine, but you're looking at probably 90+ days of that.

Is 600 tablets (assuming 75 mg tablets x 5 days) really that cheap? I have to admit I haven't bought it lately but...

Sam's Club has 190ct of 150mg tabs for $8.48.

For a 1000lb horse needing 3000mg/dose for 3x a day, 9000mg, or 60 pills a day, that's roughly $2.68/day.

Compared to the $30-ish/day for a full tube of GG/UG, well...

If you go a tube of gg/ug/day for 30 days, vs let's say $3/day/90 days, you're at $900 vs $270.

Maybe I ought to start shopping at Sam's!!

Wow, JB, your prowess at math blows me away!

You might also reconsider feeding fescue and try an alternative.

http://forages.tennessee.edu/Page%20...0Toxicity.html

Many of the adverse effects result from the increased body temperature. Most horse people shy aware from it with pregnant mares. The endophyte that has the toxicity is pretty rough on all grazers.

Google fescue toxicity.