The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Arab people- check out Fugly blog today

There are two very nice old Arab mares that were apparently "dumped" by their owner at a low end auction.

The Fugly blog has "outed" their "caring" owner for what she did to them. They made money for her, but she apparently didn't want to fund their "retirement."

Anyone know Karin Struck? Apparently, she was their owner and has a big show farm.

On the Auction Horse board, someone posted that one mare was bought by a dealer for only $60. Both mares were advertised on Struck's farm website for around $1,000 each before they were sent to the auction house.

The two mares are very attached to each other. I hope someone comes to their rescue and provides them the retirement home together that their former owner wouldn't ----even though they produced quite a few foals fro her.

Both are registered, but it isn't clear that their papers are with them now. One is a bay and one is chestnut.

Will you please post a link to the fugly blog? My link is not working anymore.

Thanks!

The chestnut mare is related to my gelding through Cal-O-Bask (my guy is a grandson and she is a great-granddaughter). Both mares are well bred.

What a shame. It is hard to understand how circumstances dictate dumping like this.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Will you please post a link to the fugly blog? My link is not working anymore.

Thanks!
    http://www.fuglyblog.com

I cannot wait to hear her half-assed excuse. I'm sure some "friends" or "houseguests" (do they have houseguests on Fugly?) will leap indignantly to Karin's defense.

I also expect her to take her website down before the end of the day, or at least remove the contact information.

That's really a shame. If she can't afford to give them the retirement they deserve, and how much does that really cost when you own the facility, she should euth'd them or offered them on a free breeding lease.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Very sad .
    Both of those mares are well bred. The bay, MHR Eunizara has really classic, old polish lines. And the chestunt, Red Sonia is linebred to Bask.
    I HATE the thought of what those sweet old ladies must be feeling right now!
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

I am (thankfully) not familiar with her or Bell Brook Farm, although they are a few miles from me. I am sure I have walked next to her at some show last year.

I was at the Enumclaw auction yesterday, they auction tack/grooming items etc, from noon to 3. It was my first time there and we ended up staying longer than planned. I did see both mares, the chestnut is quite a nice mare, she caught my eye right away. I was ambivalent about the bay (not my type/conformation).

I do believe there is a time and place for putting a horse down (some just are insane or too far gone, not looking for debate anyway). I will say that I am really upset that a member of an association that I whole heartedly support (AHA) threw away their old ladies like this. I realize it is a business however it is still throwing away what is not useful to ones needs and goals in a pleasure/hobby driven industry. That mentality is not something I want a part of.

I sincerely believe that the mentality that disposes of an animal so cheaply, so carelessly, and for what seems like no good reason, is the same mentality that is prone to abuse and dishonesty towards both humans and animals.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Is the site back up? It's not working when I visit- I just dumped at a URL listing site.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I am (thankfully) not familiar with her or Bell Brook Farm, although they are a few miles from me. I am sure I have walked next to her at some show last year.

I was at the Enumclaw auction yesterday, they auction tack/grooming items etc, from noon to 3. It was my first time there and we ended up staying longer than planned. I did see both mares, the chestnut is quite a nice mare, she caught my eye right away. I was ambivalent about the bay (not my type/conformation).

I do believe there is a time and place for putting a horse down (some just are insane or too far gone, not looking for debate anyway). I will say that I am really upset that a member of an association that I whole heartedly support (AHA) threw away their old ladies like this. I realize it is a business however it is still throwing away what is not useful to ones needs and goals in a pleasure/hobby driven industry. That mentality is not something I want a part of.

I sincerely believe that the mentality that disposes of an animal so cheaply, so carelessly, and for what seems like no good reason, is the same mentality that is prone to abuse and dishonesty towards both humans and animals.
    Great post. Can someone buy the mare from the guy? I'll throw in some money if you PM me. And the other mare? Even if you buy them to put them down, I'll contribute.

Cloudy is about 10% Arab.

If what the people on Fugly are saying is true, the mares aren't in danger since the AH group will buy them (at the huge mark-up the KB demands, giving KB a huge profit). For the mare's sake I hope it's true, although I don't like the entire situation where apparently selling to rescue groups at a profit has become a standard part of the slaughter business.

Of course active danger or not, the owner is still an absolute asshat. Whether he ships or sells to rescue groups at ridiculous prices, the money still flows into the KB's hands. If the owner just surrendered them to rescue there would be no profit for the KB.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Is the site back up? It's not working when I visit- I just dumped at a URL listing site.
    It has been back for awhile now but the placeholder page may be stuck in your cache - try refreshing a couple times or hitting F5 when you are there. If that doesn't work you may need to clear your browser's cache and temporary internet files and then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Yeah, the site is up. Why don't you send some hate mail.

http://bellbrookarabians.com/arabian...s-for-sale.php

Bellbrook Farm
    Est. 1982 • The Struck Family
    (360) 459-7714 home • (360) 561-5310 cell
    8730 Spurgeon Creek Rd SE • Olympia, WA 98513
    bellbrookarabians@gmail.com

It makes me sick when people just dump their older horses.

[quote=LarkspurCO;5528174]Yeah, the site is up. Why don't you send some hate mail.

http://bellbrookarabians.com/arabian...s-for-sale.php

Bellbrook Farm
    Est. 1982 • The Struck Family
    (360) 459-7714 home • (360) 561-5310 cell
    8730 Spurgeon Creek Rd SE • Olympia, WA 98513
    bellbrookarabians@gmail.com[/quote

Good idea. Not hate mail, but letting them know that it is better to euth than to thorw away like a piece of trash to a kill buyer. It is not the kill buyers who are the problem, it is the people who discard horses who are the problem. So tell them you disapprove of their way of disposing of old horses who were used and then tossed away like garbage.

Oh wait, let me just call the TV stations there and send an email to the local newspaper. A bunch of us emailing the farm owner is nothing, but a good tv reporter with a cameraman, priceless!

6 of the horses on the sales page are out of these mares... keep an eye on those auctions

Go for the reporter thing, but I don't know that you will get much attention.
    On the other hand e-mailing the farm AS POLITELY AS POSSIBLY might just have some sort of effect. Send a bunch of hate mail and it will all get deleted, but expressing concern and letting the farm know that EVERYONE here is watching, well that might get a response.
    The pic of the chestnut mare there as a yearling is heart-wrenching when you think of the pics of her in that pen!
    The other thing that I've seen have an effect in other animals' lives is giving them their own fb page.
    I'm off to e-mail the farm.
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

The picture of those two mares sniffing the photographer's hand, with their big gorgeous doe eyes.... heartbreaking.

Off topic a bit.... ages ago, there used to be a couple women in California who would rescue Arabs. I think maybe I used to follow their stories over on an AOL board before I migrated here? Or a Yahoo list? I can't remember really.

Jog anyone's memory? Wonder what happened to them...

Wait, answered my own question.. the power of google...

http://www.ahrn.org/
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

It is sad, and I do not agree with what she did, but nothing about it is illegal and no legit news outlet will touch a story about a person selling their own property through legally acceptable channels.

To be honest? I'd rather the kill buyer make a profit on them than the owner who dumped them. He just cleaned up her trash. She's the one who was apparently so impatient for $60 she couldn't wait to find them a decent home. She doesn't deserve to pocket any more for them.