The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hosting our first inspection!

We will be hosting our first inspection this summer/fall (depending on what date we get assigned!) and I am trying to come up with a list of things to be prepared with. This will be an RPSI inspection and so far, it will only be our own horses present although there are a couple of horses that may be coming from Manitoba.

We are a working farm, so no glossy show facility. I'd love tips to make it a nice experience and any small details I should pay attention to in order to "pretty it up". I'd also love information on how to mark out the triangle. Is it imaginary? Can I post flower pots to mark the corners? I'm pretty sure using guide poles is out as it would hide the footfall pattern.

It looks like I will be braiding all 14 horses by myself - manes only. We will be presenting 4 mares, 2 foals at dam's side, 2 yearlings, 2 2-year olds, and 2 3-year olds.

Our horses live out 24/7. Should I lock them in the barn the night before so they are more animated during inspection? We have 3 panel stalls and a holding pen inside. Or is this just a bad plan that will end up with the crankies...

If I were to hire a photographer ... how did you select your inspection photographer? We are in a fairly remote location so I'm looking at horse show photographers in Northern Minnesota or in Winnipeg. Will a horse show photographer suffice? I feel like inspection shots are much different...
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Good luck. You'll be fine. Are you going to braid the night before? That's a ton of braiding.

I think I'd try to have them as ready as possible the night before with their baths and braiding.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Yes you can lay out the triangle with jump poles and flower pots at the corners. There are specific dimensions for the walk and trot triangles.

From an article by Rachel Erlich:
    [SIZE=3][LEFT]The triangle measurements specified in the USEQ rule book are 30 meters from the apex to the corner of the long-side, 30 meters across the top of the long side, and 30 meters back to the jury at the apex. A smaller triangle is often used within the larger one for the walk and is usually marked by flower boxes, rails, or cones. [/LEFT]
    Find a flat, area large enough to set up the triangle using overturned buckets or traffic cones to mark the points of the triangle perimeter and the smaller walk triangle. Set poles on the ground in between the points and at the apex to give you a good visual guide to keep your horses straight when practicing. It is best to start slowly with the walk encouraging the horse or mare&foal from behind and up into the handler’s hand for good lengthening on the long side in walk and trot. A few good strides, and a break, is better than allowing the horses or foals to become frustrated and confused. The horses will add more good strides as they learn. Remember, you will be leading them on their left side and turning into them at all turns, success and polish will take practice. Make sure to use your voice commands and be encouraging with praise and treats. Give yourself time to start slow and make the goal to be practicing in the last two weeks as if you were actually giving the finished presentation in the show ring. You may use crinkly paper, treats, your dressage whip, etc, to get your horses attention and ears forward with a nicely arched neck in the stand-up for the conformation judging. Nothing impresses a judge more than a well turned out horse and a practiced presentation, your effort will show even if the day does not go perfectly and you will be rewarded.
    [/SIZE]
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Good luck. You'll be fine. Its a lot fun. I hope you post some pics on your beautiful website!
    Scott Gregory
    (513) 678-9877
    www.farrierservices.net

Thanks Scott - I'm hoping to find a photography who will allow us to purchase rights to the images so that we can put them up on the internet! So far, I've been our photographer so it hasn't mattered. I just don't think I can groom & braid and possibly even present these horses AND take pictures! I'd need to have an "out of body experience" to be in all of those places at once!

I don't think I can find a braider near enough to us for me not to have to braid them all. How important is it for all of them to be braided? I'm thinking maybe nix the foals & yearlings off my list since they'll be wiggle worms anyways.

I'll use white poles and some planters to mark the triangle.

Any other tips?
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred