The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Or maybe you were looking at a different Prestige girth? I wasn't aware that Dover carried the Prestige anatomic girth. They show a different one on their web site.

This is all I could find, and it's not the same:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=354730445

This is the one I have:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassId=8616
    Yeah. The second one was what I saw at Dover in Dallas. That was about a year ago when I was still trying to find an alternative...lol. I had had one for hunt saddle and needed one for dressage, and didn't feel like scrounge $$$ for yet another girth (I eventually got one for christmas.

The thing is, the Prestige has a lot of bend all along the girth (I think that is what you meant by "curvy") but if you put them side by side, aligning both ends, you will see the Logic has bend for elbow, but what is more significance is the whole body of Logic slants a lot more till the center is much further toward the front. And the whole slanting thing is what keep the saddle from moving forward for horses that need it.

To me the Prestige is good for horses that need elbow room but not necessarily that useful for horses that have a forward girth groove.

Ah, useful thread... as well as leathers, I need a new girth, and an anatomic girth of some sort has been recommended because of maresy's shape (big round barrel, fairly narrow but deep shoulders, very forward girth groove.)

Delfina's offering theirs on sale right now and it's very tempting. Does anyone know how they are for customer service, and how their sizing runs?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Yeah. The second one was what I saw at Dover in Dallas. That was about a year ago when I was still trying to find an alternative...lol. I had had one for hunt saddle and needed one for dressage, and didn't feel like scrounge $$$ for yet another girth (I eventually got one for christmas.

The thing is, the Prestige has a lot of bend all along the girth (I think that is what you meant by "curvy") but if you put them side by side, aligning both ends, you will see the Logic has bend for elbow, but what is more significance is the whole body of Logic slants a lot more till the center is much further toward the front. And the whole slanting thing is what keep the saddle from moving forward for horses that need it.

To me the Prestige is good for horses that need elbow room but not necessarily that useful for horses that have a forward girth groove.
    Actually, we did compare the girths by holding them the same way you did, and I was looking for how far forward the center part comes. They they were comparable, except the Prestige is wider in the middle and so appears to come a little farther forward than the County.

I bought the girth from Trumbull Mountain, who recommends it specifically to address the forward girth line issue on my wide horse. If it came any farther forward it would be too much. Maybe I'll snap a photo.

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/fit...ressage-girth/

I think with either girth you really have to try them on the horse, because they're all built a little differently.

And I'm glad to know Dover stores carry more items than they show in the catalog, because a store is opening here soon.

I have a Delfina as it was the only reasonably priced anatomic girth that I could find in Brown! When I had a black saddle, I had a Nunn Finer Girth which was really, really padded and had no elastic, but rather those equalizing buckles. Zoe LOVED that girth, but alas, not in brown. This girth is...ok. No matter what I cannot get them to tighten evenly, but I think that is more about how Zoe is built rather than a flaw in the girth. Also, I wish it had keepers above the buckles to help keep it straighter- it tends to get pulled crooked on Zoe due to the unevenness. Zoe is super sensitive, so I got her a sheepskin cover for it and she seems happier now.

Anyhow, Zoe issues aside, it is well-constructed and really is shaped nearly identically to other higher priced girths. The leather is lovely, and despite nearly daily use it looks brand-new. I would definitely recommend at least trying it- the person who makes them is super responsive and provides great customer service. She'll answer any questions you have in a timely fashion even before you buy it!

Also, she makes nice blingy browbands too!!
    Last edited by Megsabelle; Apr. 13, 2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling

I got an Ovation girth in today, and here's a quick comparison between it, the County logic, and the Prestige.

Shape - County and Prestige are almost identical. The Ovation is a TINY bit less curved - it's probably only a half-inch or so difference in where the buckles will sit relative to the billets. The three births are for different horses, and are different sizes. The Ovation is the largest, so it's possible you'd see more of a difference with the same size.

Leather - Prestige is my favorite! Super soft leather, and tons of padding. The Ovation leather is quite nice though, and well padded.

Buckles - It seems to me like this is an area where Ovation shaved costs. They're definitely lower quality than the Prestige and County ones, but are certainly functional.

Elastic - Both Prestige and County have the elastic hidden under the leather. The Ovation elastic is clearly visible near the buckles on both sides. It's a triple thickness elastic, and seems fine. It's definitely not as nice as the elastic on my County jumping girth, and if you're riding a ton of horses with it, I could see it stretching over time.

Overall, I think the Ovation looks like a really nice anatomical girth for the money. I paid $99 for mine at VTO, and have seen them for a few dollars less other places. This is the same range as the Delfina.

Good luck!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    ...Someone on another thread here was going to try the Ovation Gel synthetic girth; I'm waiting on the review of that also, as truth be told I would much prefer a synthetic girth...but it has to work!
    I've seen a couple posts in various places now where people have expressed a preference for synthetic girths. How come? I'm looking at getting an anatomic(al) one for my Hanoverian. She's got a big WB barrel and a bit of a sensitive tummy and I think she'd prob be more comfortable with something that better dispersed the weight than what she's using now. I want to choose wisely though. Should I be looking at synthetics?? Thanks.

Re the desire for synthetic: Prior to my current mare, who is blessed w/ a forward girth groove, I've always used synthetic because they are easier to clean, and yes, I'm a tad cheap sometimes...
    That said, I'm borrowing a Logic and it does work, and so I might have to suck it up and buy that or the Prestige. Not so sure I want to buy a lower cost leather one, though it is very tempting.......