The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2003
    Location
    The Shake and Bake State
    Posts
    11,537

    Question Delfina Dressage Girth vs County Logic

    Has anyone compared these two girths? My horse has a forward girth groove and I tried my friend's county logic and it seems to help keep the saddle from sliding forward. I really want to get one but I do not have $225 to spend on a girth right now. In my quest to find one that is used, I was searching ebay and came across the Delfina. It looks VERY similar to the County Logic but the price is much better. Anyone have one? Better yet, has anyone been able to compare the two themselves? If so, what are you honest thoughts on the two girths?
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    I have a County logic girth that still rubbed my horse. What size are you looking for? I've gone back to the wintec girth. I'll look at the size of mine tonight.

    I'm in the southern part of the "shake and bake state" :-)



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2005
    Location
    the evergreen state!
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    I have a boarder's Delfina girth that she was going to throw away, because she thought the elastic was too stretchy and dangerous the way it was sewn into the girth.

    I inspected it, didn't really see what the problem was , so i literally picked it out of the trash and kept it.

    That said, I haven't used it because its just a bit too large for the horses I have right now.

    I was planning on having my saddlefitter look at it when she comes in May- if she finds anything wrong with it, back into the trash it will go. But if not maybe eventually I'll have a horse/ saddle combination that can make use of it.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2009
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Another option is to look at the Ovation one, which is about the same price - http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/DRESSGIRTH/OCDG.htm. I haven't seen it in person yet, but have one on order and expect it in this week.

    I have a County Logic for my Arab, and it is a very nice girth. I'll let you know how the Ovation stacks up!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,027

    Default

    Tekna has a wonderful one I saw in person that is about $66. Very nice synthetic cushy material with good elastic on both ends.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9KhUNjUy0%253D



  6. #6

    Default

    I've had a delfina girth for a good year and a half and I love it. If anything I thought the elastic was not stretchy enough in the beginning, but I think its fine now. I don't see why she thought it was unsafe the way it was sewn on? And if so, why not just send it back for a refund? Why throw it away?
    My girth looks like it will last many more years. It was a great deal. So far its been the only girth that can keep the saddle back on my horse and not cause any girth galls.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2005
    Location
    the evergreen state!
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    I've had a delfina girth for a good year and a half and I love it. If anything I thought the elastic was not stretchy enough in the beginning, but I think its fine now. I don't see why she thought it was unsafe the way it was sewn on? And if so, why not just send it back for a refund? Why throw it away?
    My girth looks like it will last many more years. It was a great deal. So far its been the only girth that can keep the saddle back on my horse and not cause any girth galls.
    I know, right?!

    She told me (after she saw i picked it out of the trash) that she should have cut off the elastic so no one would use it and get hurt.

    Honestly, I just don't see it- so I'm going to have an expert set of eyes look and see if they can point out the flaw?

    FWIW, same lady also has a few Tekna girths and swears by them.

    I have the ovation contour girth (the cheap one), and a bunch of wintec girths in varying sizes...I like them well enough- never had to go buy a different brand yet. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled on this thread, just in case.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2002
    Location
    Up Nort whar tis COLD
    Posts
    6,778

    Default

    Prestige also makes a wave girth:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctclassid=8616

    I think if you shop around you can find it for less than this.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HFSH View Post
    Prestige also makes a wave girth:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctclassid=8616

    I think if you shop around you can find it for less than this.
    I have this one and it is a very, very nice girth. The leather is beautiful and it's nice and cushy on the inside. After at least two years of regular use it still looks new. I have seen the County Logic and it was stiff by comparison.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2009
    Posts
    3,133

    Default

    I have been in email contact w/ someone who has the Delfina; she said she has had it for two years, it works great. I'm borrowing a C. Logic now, but when it has to go back, I'm going to try one of these. There is no doubt that it helps w/ her forward girth groove! Someone on another thread here was going to try the Ovation Gel synthetic girth; I'm waiting on the review of that also, as truth be told I would much prefer a synthetic girth...but it has to work!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 8, 2009
    Location
    Davie FL
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I have the Delfina and just started to use it. Absolutely love it so far.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2003
    Location
    The Shake and Bake State
    Posts
    11,537

    Default

    Hmmm, I will also have to look into Prestige. Have a Keiffer that does the same thing but it is too small for Frodo, otherwise I do like it. It would fit a pony but not my boy.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Many of the anatomical girths may look like the County Logic at the first glance (they are all sort of wavy) but really are shaped differently. For one County logic curve is much more pronounced than, say, Prestige anatomical girth. If you compare them side by side, you will see the center part on the Couty logic is much much more forward than others, and that is what make it ideal for a horse with forward grove.

    I have never seen a Delfina girth but if County Logic is what keeps your saddle in place, you might want to carefully compare their shapes first before investing your money in it.

    I have a couple of County Logic girths, one for hunt saddle the other for dressage saddle and I have never had problem rubbing even on freshly body clipped horses. Not sure why some have that problem with rubbing...



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2005
    Location
    the evergreen state!
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Update- so last night you all inspired me- I took out my dumpster-dive delfina girth, cleaned it up and while doing so, did an inspection...it looks more than serviceable to me. Aside from a bit of sweat marks on the leather, looks brand new.

    Once my boy fills out he'll definitely be using this one.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Many of the anatomical girths may look like the County Logic at the first glance (they are all sort of wavy) but really are shaped differently. For one County logic curve is much more pronounced than, say, Prestige anatomical girth.
    Fresh from a direct comparison, I have to disagree.

    My trainer and I were both cleaning tack awhile ago getting ready for a show tomorrow. I noticed she had a County Logic and so we held hers and mine together. We both thought the County was a bit less curvy than the Prestige.

    The Prestige is also wider than the County (not to mention how much softer and nicer mine is, but I already said that).



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2006
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Talking to my saddle fitter, who always recommends the County Logic, I asked her why she doesn't like the cheaper anatomical girths, her answer was that the Logic is the only girth that correctly slants back ABOVE the elbow, to encourage the saddle to rest balanced behind the horse's shoulder. The cheaper girths go straight up after the curve, and in her opinion, place the saddle fit too far forward. Just wanted to add food for thought!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2011
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    31

    Default Saddle Position and Girths

    While it is true that anotomical girths are made to help give elbow clearance and to to keep the saddle in the proper position it is not possible to say for sure which girth will work for your horse. You must place your saddle in the right position on your horses back and allow the billets to hang vertically. If you need to postion your billets at a forward angle to align them with the girth buckles, your saddle will eventually move forward as you ride. You need to choose a girth that allows you to keep the billets on your saddle verticle when it is buckled to the girth. You must look at the girth groove but also the saddle position behind the shoulder and the angle of the billets for your saddle and take all this into account to choose a girth that is right for your horse. As far as quality, the Prestige girth is best in quality, next is Logic, then Delfina and then Ovation. The Ovation girth tends to hard at the corners buy the buckles and curl inward towards the horses sides. A deal for the money but a dissapointment later on down the road. A client of mine just purchased this girth http://www.doversaddlery.com/-le-tix...021123/cn/100/ for a hard to fit and very sensitive horse a we all three love it especially the horse. A little pricey but the comfort for the horse is outstanding. Seems like it wouldn't work well at all when you see it but I really like how it keeps the saddle still and the horse no longer flinches when being saddled. Hope that helps.

    Safe rides!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Fresh from a direct comparison, I have to disagree.

    My trainer and I were both cleaning tack awhile ago getting ready for a show tomorrow. I noticed she had a County Logic and so we held hers and mine together. We both thought the County was a bit less curvy than the Prestige.

    The Prestige is also wider than the County (not to mention how much softer and nicer mine is, but I already said that).
    Maybe we have a different definition in "curvy" lol? - because, well, I compared mine with the one at Dover and I thought to myself, umm, the Logic has the middle stick out a lot more than the Prestige...



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caevent View Post
    Talking to my saddle fitter, who always recommends the County Logic, I asked her why she doesn't like the cheaper anatomical girths, her answer was that the Logic is the only girth that correctly slants back ABOVE the elbow, to encourage the saddle to rest balanced behind the horse's shoulder. The cheaper girths go straight up after the curve, and in her opinion, place the saddle fit too far forward. Just wanted to add food for thought!
    This is what I have found as well. As a matter of fact, about a year ago, I was trying to find an "Logic alternative" (didn't really want to spend that much money on a damn girth) and found out that County has patent to the design and no other companies can copy it and so they come up with shapes that look somehow similiar but not the same....



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Maybe we have a different definition in "curvy" lol? - because, well, I compared mine with the one at Dover and I thought to myself, umm, the Logic has the middle stick out a lot more than the Prestige...
    Or maybe you were looking at a different Prestige girth? I wasn't aware that Dover carried the Prestige anatomic girth. They show a different one on their web site.

    This is all I could find, and it's not the same:

    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=354730445

    This is the one I have:

    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassId=8616



Similar Threads

  1. County Logic style in neoprene?
    By Petstorejunkie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2012, 10:19 AM
  2. Need County Logic Girth - BLACK
    By ckaiser707 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2012, 05:58 PM
  3. girth rubs from a County Logic girth?
    By GGsuperpony in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Apr. 5, 2010, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness