The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Hillside H Ranch has given you very, very sage advice.

    Think logically about the decisions you make for your mare - and they ARE your decisions, not your vet's.

    Fact: Every time you stick something in a mare's uterus, you cause an inflammatory response.

    Fact: The semen you put in there today will not be any less viable tomorrow than the second dose which has been sitting in a box in the fridge for 24 hours.

    There is no good reason to stuff more semen in there. The swimmers that are already in there will do the job. The *only* instance in which more is better is if, as previously mentioned, the motility numbers aren't great.

    Now, go forth and do your mare and your pocketbook a favor - throw away the second dose.

    I have heard (from stallion owners) of mares bred FIVE DAYS before ovulation and they still caught. You have to trust that the little guys will get the job done!!

    Good luck!



  2. #22
    Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2006
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    I understand what you guys are saying. I can understand the innflammatory response. I did talk to her and she seems to think that putting the second dose in tomorrow will be a good idea. She has been breeding horses for a long time and I will just have to take her word for it. She also wants to see if the follicle size has changed at all.

    I am keeping my fingers crossed. She may be one of those mares that doesn't ovulate until the follicle is over 40 mm.

    I am just glad I didn't counter to counter it on Monday!!



  3. #23
    Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2006
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    well today she is at 41 mm, so she is progressing better then she did last time.

    I am hoping she ovulates tomorrow and we will be good!

    So now it is the 2 week wait to see if she did indeed take.



Similar Threads

  1. UPDATE Which shipping for omeprazoledirect. Length time for shipping.
    By Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr. 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 9, 2011, 05:05 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
  4. Info on shipping pony across the border
    By crownridgefarms in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
  5. Replies: 159
    Last Post: Jun. 24, 2003, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness