The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hillside H Ranch has given you very, very sage advice.

Think logically about the decisions you make for your mare - and they ARE your decisions, not your vet's.

Fact: Every time you stick something in a mare's uterus, you cause an inflammatory response.

Fact: The semen you put in there today will not be any less viable tomorrow than the second dose which has been sitting in a box in the fridge for 24 hours.

There is no good reason to stuff more semen in there. The swimmers that are already in there will do the job. The *only* instance in which more is better is if, as previously mentioned, the motility numbers aren't great.

Now, go forth and do your mare and your pocketbook a favor - throw away the second dose.

I have heard (from stallion owners) of mares bred FIVE DAYS before ovulation and they still caught. You have to trust that the little guys will get the job done!!

Good luck!

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I understand what you guys are saying. I can understand the innflammatory response. I did talk to her and she seems to think that putting the second dose in tomorrow will be a good idea. She has been breeding horses for a long time and I will just have to take her word for it. She also wants to see if the follicle size has changed at all.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. She may be one of those mares that doesn't ovulate until the follicle is over 40 mm.

I am just glad I didn't counter to counter it on Monday!!

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

well today she is at 41 mm, so she is progressing better then she did last time.

I am hoping she ovulates tomorrow and we will be good!

So now it is the 2 week wait to see if she did indeed take.