The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default medical marijuana ?

Yay or nay ? Valid medicinal purposes or just an excuse to light up ? What experiences or thoughts do you have on the matter ?
    Any truth to the idea it helps chronic migraines ? (headache a constriction of the blood vessels, marijuana dilates/ opens blood vessels) Where do you stand on legalization ?

If it works, has a basis in science and helps the patient, I'm for it.

It probably does have some medicinal qualities.

It is certainly safer and less addicting than alcohol.

And alcohol has medicinal qualities ... why you can even pour it on gunshots wounds to help keep them clean .

Sorry, it's been a long day.

Yes, I think it helps with various ailments.

Super yay- legalize it, regulate it, TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I'm all for legalization no matter what the purpose! I <3 my dear Massachusetts, decriminalized for reasonable amounts here!

Some people like their beer, others like a little weed now and then. Both can be taken to the excess, both perfectly enjoyable when used by responsible adults.

Yay. All the heavy narcotic pain patches in the world didn't help my mom with her pain and the chemo and radiation induced nausea. A $5 joint helped both problems. She continued to use it up until she died 6 months later.

I think it's only a matter of time before states start legalizing it for medicinal use and ultimately making it legal to possess by everyone else. Over the past 20 years, it's gone from being treated like a serious drug to being barely worthy of an actual jail sentence. The rise in the abuse of pharmaceuticals, MDMA -- and crystal meth especially -- has actually put it in a better light.

I'd love to see the government not only legalize it, but regulate it like cigarettes, then slap a nice fat tax on it to fund something like universal health care that doesn't involve being forced into an insurance plan. Let the potheads fund everyone's health care.
    The dude abides ...

I work in the drug & alcohol field, so I'm probably biased-- I see people regularly for whom THC is their drug of choice and they experience negative health and life consequences like any other addict.

With that being said, I think this whole "legalize it for medical purposes" bit is rather stupid... either legalize it, or don't. Legalizing it for so-called "medical" purposes just means anyone who wants to smoke it is just going to find a doc to sign off on some alleged medical condition so they can do what they were going to do anyway.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Nay. Make it a pill containing THC, which is where the medical benefits lie, and not anything that gives a high. I bet once that's the only option, you might be surprised how many still smoke for "medicinal purposes" and break the law when a legal drug with the same medical benefits is available.

Please.

But then, I'm cynical.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Nay. Make it a pill containing THC, which is where the medical benefits lie, and not anything that gives a high. I bet once that's the only option, you might be surprised how many still smoke for "medicinal purposes" and break the law when a legal drug with the same medical benefits is available.

Please.

But then, I'm cynical.
    Uh...they have that, it's called Marinol, and it's pretty much worthless. THC is not the only active ingredient in marijuana.

As a libertarian-leaning conservative, I feel ALL drugs should be legalized. Morally, I don't feel the .gov has a right to tax things like drugs and alcohol, but since we're well beyond that point, treat all drugs like alcohol and tobacco.

When I was in high school, it was easier to get illicit drugs than it was to get cigarettes or alcohol. I think our society learned its lesson on prohibition during the 20's. So why haven't we figured out that prohibition of pot and other drugs DOESN'T WORK. Our laws are directly responsible for the violence in Mexico. If we legalized all of it, the cartels would be powerless.

CNVH, can you expound on the negative health and life effects please ? Being the organic girl I am, if I were to use a drug, which I don't, this being natural, originally something found out in the wild vs man made in an underground lab, it would probably be my choice. And yes, I'm aware the modern versions are hybridized, altered by man, and far from the original. BTW, what DID the native Americans take to send them on their "vision quests " ? Any botanical historians want to venture a guess ?

Posted by baldfaceboyz:

what DID the native Americans take to send them on their "vision quests " ?
    Peyote. I have a friend who is a registered member of the Native American Church.

I'm for legalization. I don't deny that people can be dependent on it--I've certainly known a few that I thought were probably addicted. However I have seen far more lives destroyed by alcohol. Any drug you take has risks, but everything I have seen shows marijuana to be relatively safe for adults to use recreationally and almost certainly safer and with less social cost than alcohol (when you factor out the crime associated with it because it is illegal, which would presumably disappear with legalization).

Though I have to say, I'm for the decriminalization of all drugs for personal use, or at the very least a major overhaul in how we handle people with small amounts of drugs. I am not saying that heroin or crack or any other hard drug is okay to use; I have known several people who have lost their lives due to those drugs and far more who nearly did. But I think locking up addicts (in environments where drugs are usually still readily accessible, no less--I know a former crack addict who told me she could get high easier in jail than she could on the street) is not the way to solve things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

Please.

But then, I'm cynical.
    But THC *does* make you high...it's a psychoactive substance... One of the biggest complaints with Marinol (the "THC pill" of which you speak) was that it made patients using it TOO high.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Decriminalize for sure. Then, like it or not, offer free health care including mandatory rehab/half way house/outpatient care of some sort for all narcotics addicts.

Our society would be so much more pleasant.

Yea. Like others have said: legalize, regulate, tax tax tax. If we're looking at other legal drugs, it's not nearly as bad as alcohol for one reason: Think of the last time someone got drunk and committed a violent crime. Then think of the last time someone toked up and committed a violent crime.

The only things stoners assault are bags of chips.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Super yay- legalize it, regulate it, TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT.
    -Jessica

I don't understand, offer mandatory rehab...as in, help with their addiction and to kick it, or to just give them medical aid as they continue to use?

I understand all drugs, including alcohol, have different effects on the body, but IME, most people who use, will continue to do so and will chose prison over treatment, homelessness over treatment, drugs over family. Or go through treatment and be using again within a short period of time (ie, less than a month).

But then oxy and ambien, etc, are legal with a prescription. I had a friend get rear-ended on his motorcycle by a freakin soccer mom on ambien. Totalled his bike and send him to the ER, and he still has back issues.

People will always find a way be careless and/or stupid.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Regarding MM, I am sure there are some legit patients out there who find it's an excellent part of their pain management regimen. Glad it's working for them.

But ... puhleeze. It seems that in this area at least, the vast majority of those running the "dispensaries" (i.e. HEADSHOPS), giving interviews to the media stating they are "patients" and advocating for MM are all generally in the 18 - 30 demographic?

And by outward appearances the majority of these folks, shall we say, dress to identify themselves as being part of an alternative subculture?

And the local "independent"/"progressive" newspaper is where the vast majority of MMDs choose to advertise their products?

Sorry, but it's such bullsh*t. Ouch, I've twisted my knee or I have a headache and I need an MM "permit" to deal with my "pain management." Um, right.

During the 1997 Master Settlement Agreement between the states attorneys general and the tobacco companies, I remember the hysteria over a memo from about 20 years previously that showed Lorillard or B&W R&D folks had discussed developing "candy-like" nicotine lozenges.

I also remember the media-driven hysteria that the cartoon Joe Camel was as cuddly and appealing to the kiddies as Barney.

"But what about the children?????" came the anguished cries and national angst over those baddie tobacco barons, fueled by - ding ding ding ding we have a winner! - the trial bar.

Meanwhile, the local MMDs carry marijuana cookies, cakes, brownies, candies, lollipops and sodas. With brightly colored appealing labels that are indistinguishable from most kiddie meals. With nary a peep about it excepting that MMDs have to be a certain distance from schools.

Like I said - I'm happy for those legit cancer or MS patients who get relief from MM. But I'm deeply skeptical about the veracity of all MM customers.

Medical marijuana is legal here and LOTS of people in my county grow it...because they have a script, of course. Getting a rx for it is a joke. Open our local newspaper and a doctor advertises "got back pain? arthritis? trouble sleeping? free medical marijuana consultation" - it is a joke. The smell of pot is in the air right now in my neighborhood - get a group of people together and you can have a growing collective. Lots of hydroponic stores around, also.

It was on the ballot to legalize it but it didn't pass.

Legalize it, tax it, take the power away from the cartels.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    generally in the 18 - 30 demographic?

And by outward appearances the majority of these folks, shall we say, dress to identify themselves as being part of an alternative subculture?

And the local "independent"/"progressive" newspaper is where the vast majority of MMDs choose to advertise their products?

Meanwhile, the local MMDs carry marijuana cookies, cakes, brownies, candies, lollipops and sodas. With brightly colored appealing labels that are indistinguishable from most kiddie meals. With nary a peep about it excepting that MMDs have to be a certain distance from schools.

Like I said - I'm happy for those legit cancer or MS patients who get relief from MM. But I'm deeply skeptical about the veracity of all MM customers.
    Yes, cause only those darn hippies like themselves some weed! Not that I'm out to "fight the man" or anything but sheesh, lighten up. Smoking a joint is no different than having a glass of wine, a couple beers, or a ciggy at the end of the day. In my highly-cultured (five college area) area, most of the professionals will admit to toking up every now and then, not just the students. These are people making $100k+ a year (and yes, their salaries are publicly available so this isn't just guessing, at least not with the professors) and are intelligent, functioning adults.

As for the other part....I don't know much about them since I'm across the country, but can you go into a MMD if you are under 18/don't have a permit/license/RX/whatever you need?

The point with cigarettes was that they are always where children can actively see them--in gas stations, grocery stores, commercials on TV. Are children as easily exposed to the MMDs? Again, this just innocent questioning....a whole culture I'm not familiar with.