The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default White saddle pad turned beige?!

So I was cleaning out (more like purging) my closet today and I pulled out a white saddle pad I bought a couple years back. Used probably less than 5 times. It's just a normal weight, quilted square pad. I recalled washing it after it's last use, like 2 years ago, but there was still some discoloration on the top side. The obvious marks were from the saddle, dark streaks. But upon closer look the pad was allover a bit discolored on the top side. The bottom side is pristine white.

I took it down the laundry room and realized that the whole top side is totally off-white. Like super pale beige. I threw it in the wash with some white jods and Clorox. It brigtened the jobs but did NOTHING for the pad. I then poured and rubbed Clorox directing on the pad and threw it back in the wash, alone, with Clorox in the water. Still nothing. The pad looks completely unusable... unless I put it on upside down. What on earth happened to it? It's literally a super pale, almost pinkish beige all over that side... but only on the quilting. The edging is nice and white.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

some fibers discolor with age.

unless it has holes in it, what makes you think it's 'unusable'?

You can also throw it in the machine with some fabric dye. it might come out decent, but it might still have the white edging, again, depending on the fibers.

Or you just put it up on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

It's not that old though... would it really discolor after a maximum of 5 years? And it only discolored on one side, wouldn't it discolor on both?

I just meant it was unusable for my "white saddle pad needs". I purchased it for shows and kept it at home to keep it clean. It definitely is not white anymore, so I won't able to use it as more formal attire.

Dying it is an interesting idea. Does dye rub off on horses? The horse I am working with is a leopard App... don't need him turning colors during a sweaty ride.

Better View.

Quote Originally Posted by katie+tru View Post
    So I was cleaning out (more like purging) my closet today and I pulled out a white saddle pad I bought a couple years back. Used probably less than 5 times. It's just a normal weight, quilted square pad. I recalled washing it after it's last use, like 2 years ago, but there was still some discoloration on the top side. The obvious marks were from the saddle, dark streaks. But upon closer look the pad was allover a bit discolored on the top side. The bottom side is pristine white.

I took it down the laundry room and realized that the whole top side is totally off-white. Like super pale beige. I threw it in the wash with some white jods and Clorox. It brigtened the jobs but did NOTHING for the pad. I then poured and rubbed Clorox directing on the pad and threw it back in the wash, alone, with Clorox in the water. Still nothing. The pad looks completely unusable... unless I put it on upside down. What on earth happened to it? It's literally a super pale, almost pinkish beige all over that side... but only on the quilting. The edging is nice and white.
    You might want to give Oxyclean a try. Other than that use it for schooling.

It's not that old though... would it really discolor after a maximum of 5 years? And it only discolored on one side, wouldn't it discolor on both?

I just meant it was unusable for my "white saddle pad needs". I purchased it for shows and kept it at home to keep it clean. It definitely is not white anymore, so I won't able to use it as more formal attire.

Dying it is an interesting idea. Does dye rub off on horses? The horse I am working with is a leopard App... don't need him turning colors during a sweaty ride.
    How well it dyes depends on what fibers the fabric is, and also not everything on the pad will necessarily dye, or take the dye the same way. (I dyed a pair of pants with velcro closures on the pockets with navy blue once, and the velcro, which was originally beige, inexplicably turned BRIGHT orange. Very weird.) So be prepared for that. (The most likely outcome is just that some bits will stay white, like possibly the edging and any stitching.)

Properly dyed with a good dye (I recommend Dylon over RIT, RIT fades in my experience) and rinsed, it shouldn't leech out in use - the dye molecules actually should bind with the fibers.

First, though, you might want to try washing it with a dye removal treatment. Slightly different from bleach, but found in the stain removal section of the laundry aisle at most well-stocked stores. If the discoloration is the result of being washed with something at some point that 'bled' a little, that might take care of it.

(Actually, while you're there, pick up a box of the Shout color catcher sheets - any time I'm doing a load where there's white stuff in with stuff that might not be entirely white, or items like white-and-color striped shirts, I put in half a sheet with the load and it seems to do the trick nicely of catching any stray dye so it doesn't re-deposit on the white stuff. )

(I first started using the things when dealing with laundromats - big double or triple load washers are normally cheaper than three regular ones, but then you have to mix things together. One color catcher sheet and you can do that, no worries. )

Another thing you can try when it gets warmer/sunnier in spring/summer is to put it outside in the sun. The UV bleaching effect might be more effective than the Clorox, depending on why it's discolored.

oh, yellow out and iron out, too.

those clothes dies are pretty color fast though. you can always give it a rinse with some salt and vinegar. I do that with new red shirts quiet often, since red always bleeds.

But seriously, most people can't tell white from white.

you just have to act like that's the way the pad is supposed to look, totally planned and an expensive choice. Might actually look good on a leopard appy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Interesting... I looked at it again this morning now that it's dry. It looks much whiter. I think. Maybe it changes color when wet.... on one side. So weird. Maybe I'll tinker around with it and some more bleach and see what happens.

Better View.

Depending on the fiber to much chlorine bleach will weaken it and turn it yellowlsh. I second Oxyclean, and leave it in the sunshine
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Interesting... I looked at it again this morning now that it's dry. It looks much whiter. I think. Maybe it changes color when wet.... on one side. So weird. Maybe I'll tinker around with it and some more bleach and see what happens.
    It may be not actually the same fabric on both sizes, and part of the color you're seeing is basically the padding or whatever is inside the pad 'showing through' a bit when the outer fabric is wet - like you can see a colored bra through a thin white shirt?

I also prefer Oxyclean to Clorox for bleaching - if there are any stains that are organic (like blood) it seems to work MUCH better.