The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Both of my horse's hind feet

now have a central sulcus. Hurray. More than 2 years ago me and hubby took over trimming our horses' feet when I got frustrated over the deporable condition of my horses' feet, chiefly my big horse. Heels were underrun, negative coffin bone angles in back, with typical bullnose profile, and horse could not stay sound. Can't remember front coffin bone angles but his front feet were underrun too. He was touchy as hell after his shoes were pulled and this was a horse who was a gravel cruncher to start.

He's been better for a long time in that he's been sound, but for over two years he still had the big fat frog in back trying to support the back of his flat hind feet and so was still more sensitive to gravel and hard surfaces than he'd been before his feet got messed up. Now he finally has some concavity in those back feet (as well as the front) and both feet have a central sulcus. (One hind foot improved before the other.)

What made the difference? I'm not entirely sure. He was put on Accel over 6 months ago and his feet were cast for 2 weeks late last summer or fall.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Apr. 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Congrats on a good rehab job. :-)

grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks DDB. His feet could be still better -- he still has flares and the heel bulbs on the backs are not full, although the front ones are -- but I want to wait until the ground is consistently drier to cast him again. I have seen him slip (when he normally wouldn't) in the casts so I'm being conservative.

I wish I could say exactly why his feet got over the hump and stopped being relatively flat, but at least I can say they have kept improving, even this far out. His feet didn't flare out and flatten even in the wet conditions of winter this year. He developed sizeable bars on the soft ground this past winter, and I made the decision to leave them because the back of his feet needed all of the support they could get. In fact I think the bars were a factor in the improvement of his foot form. Whenever the ground is reasonably dry his bars self trim.

You can put a line of Superfast on the bottom of the cast for extra protection and it will help with slipping also.

Good for you though. It sounds like a tough rehab.

Congratulations and kudos to you for staying dedicated!! Its not an easy thing. I too went through what I suspected was npa on my horse's hinds, prominent bullnose when I first got him. It took us around 2 years as well. I had my vet out last week and took xrays actually as he still had a very slight bullnose profile on the hinds, but xrays revealed he is aligned pretty nicely, better than I thought. I learned you really have to keep the faith and keep on going even when you think things will never improve. Its not easy.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks buck22. Congrats to you too.

DDB we did apply a rim of Superfast to each foot, but it didn't last very long. Could be the casting wasn't dry enough even though it looked and felt dry. Next time I cast him I think I'll bring him up to the house (we have a paddock and stalls up here) where there's electricity and I can use a blow dryer.

If I ever show him or take him off the farm to trail ride, I may put Eponas on him for extra protection, although just looking at the Eponas I was wondering about their traction too. I hate boots and they just never seem to fit him.