The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who here is a lawyer? How do you make it work with hours v horses?

I suppose this isn't really off-topic, but I thought it might be a good time to post this.

Who on COTH is a lawyer? How are your hours? Did you ride during law school/in your first few years of employment? Do you work in a big city firm or are you out in a more rural area? Essentially, do you think it is realistic to have horses as a lawyer with long hours, and what is your advice for creating work/life balance enough for the horses?

I know the "lawyer" job description is pretty specific, but I find it is a profession with unique circumstances that often isn't conducive to having a life, shall we say. Tips anyone?
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

20 years ago I worked for a big NYC firm. That, and law school were WAY too demanding to ride, unfortunately. I think the problem is that it is a client centered business, so you can't really predict when the client will call with something and you need to work all weekend or something.

I then went in-house, where we were the client. Definitely more predictable hours, and I rode occasionally on the weekends.

I think you'd have to find a job where the hours were defined, and that way you could know whether you could fit in riding around them.

Good luck! Didn't you post about this before? I didn't love being a lawyer, so you have my sympathies working those hours!

YES! You can make it work, in law school, and in practice.

I rode all but my first year of law school. I did not have my own horse ($), and I did not compete ($, again). I rode 2-3 times a week usually. No regrets, no problems. Graduated 9th in my class from a top tier law school. You can't spend 100 percent of your time studying, so you may as well ride.

Worked for about a year and a half at a BigLaw firm in Chicago. 2000 hour minimum billing requirement. I was on pace for 2400 when I left. I did not own a horse, but I did ride nearly every Saturday. There, the logistics were the biggest problem - all the barns were very far from the city. Also a very pricey place to keep horses.

I'm now in a more mid-sized city and I own my own horse. My minimum billable requirement is 1900, but I generally bill 2000 plus. I have my horse on partial training board at a place where I trust the care. He gets 2-3 pro rides a week, and he gets Monday off. That gives me 3-4 week nights that I don't have to ride unless I want to. I get up early and am in the office as early as 7:00 a.m. sometimes. If I ride, I don't get home until after 9 p.m. Sometimes I work when I get home too. Sometimes very late. Sometimes I don't sleep for long periods, but that would be true even if I didn't have the horse.

As time demanding as it is being a lawyer, I actually have found that it is also a very flexibile career...especially as you get more senior (I'm a fifth year associate now). I do not feel guilty taking off work for vet appointments and the like, and they don't feel guilty asking me to work on Christmas. We get along just fine.

PM me if you want to talk more.

Yes. Went to a top 10 school, rode daily. It was my stress relief. It depends a lot on your personality- I was never paranoid if I didn't finish an entire reading assignment because I had to wrap an abscess.

I spent a lot of time choosing the appropriate job. I am now in a biglaw firm, but I don't have to be in the office until 9:30/10, so I can get in a solid hour ride every morning, and weekends. I chose very carefully- ultimately not going back to either firm that I summered at because I didn't see how I could make the life I wanted work there. It ended up being the right choice, and I love the firm I ended up picking.

I miss the occasional morning because I was at work until 3 am and couldn't bear the thought of waking up, but I generally ride 5 or 6 days per week. Usually when its 5 its because I wanted my trainer to put in a training ride, not because I couldn't get there.

I went to an Ivy League school and kept riding seriously.

There weren't great boarding options in my area so I kept the horses with a trainer five hours away and did lawschool Mon-Weds and rode Thurs-Sun.

I went on to a big firm in NYC and got up at 4:30, drove an hour south, rode two, drove an hour north, took a shower, and commuted into the city on the Path train for an hour.
    It was tough but I took it one day at a time and it worked out.

I've just taken a job at a small boutique firm in a smaller city.
    I can't imagine it will be all that big a deal to ride 4 or 5 times a week, especially after what I have had to do in the past to keep the horses ridden.