The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy my failed attempt at wet clipping :(

i'm so disappointed. i really wanted to embrace wet clipping which would save me hours of waiting around for miss mare to dry. i've read all the threads on the subject. knew that coat had to be thoroughly wet although not dripping for it to work.

but when the time came to clipping (started on the neck) i wasn't getting a smooth cut. little bits of hair were getting left behind and my mare was clearly telling me she wasn't happy about the way the clip felt. i got a bucket and a sponge, thinking that maybe i need to wet it some more but that didn't help.

so i'm back home now, trying to figure out how many hours it'll take for her to dry so i can drive back to the barn to complete the clip
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I bathed my horse and tried it too last fall. It did not work for me either. Fortunately, it is warm here and I just put him out on the grass and let him dry under the sun. I read everything everyone had to say about it first. Like you, I tried it wet but not dripping. No SUCH luck!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

So sorry it didn't work out for you!

If you opt to try again ever, I have super luck with the hair really wet, even dripping. Also, it works best if your blades are new or just sharpened; if new, make sure you clean the blades well with a good quality blade wash. I failed on that part with my first attempt at wet clipping with new, rather than resharpened blades. Lesson learned.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I kinda pride myself at being REALLY good at clipping (grew up showing sheep and cattle)..... I tried wet this year because I saw people were doing it through COTH.....

I failed miserably too and my horse was pissed ... the parts I tried it on looked like horrible chop jobs and it was very hard to fix those patches too. I had freshly resharpended blades and high dollar Listers. I let my horse dry and the clip was fabulous.

I'll take the hair in the face and stuck to my chapstick ANY day over the frustration of wet clipping (and yes I had soaking wet...didn't work, let it dry a little, didn't work. Nothing worked until my horses were completely dry)
    I have no idea how people have success with it haha...do tell though!

Default yeah, i had 2 freshly sharpened t blades

i use andies and i've been clipping my mare with them for 2 years without a problem. so the set up works dry.

i went back and clipped her dry. unrelated to my wet clip failure, i only had two t blades today and that just wasn't enough to get through all that hair on her. i managed to finish one side of her rump with another blade but had to stop before finishing two legs. so now she's sporting two hairy legs i need to remember next spring that the first clip of the year requires 3 t blades (yes she's a yak)

We should have had this discussion before you got your hopes up. I've tried several times to clip Cloud wet and there was NO WAY to get through that hair when it was wet, no matter how sharp the blades were!

Default oh jan

we should've. bob told me it didn't work for you either. that actually makes me feel better. maybe it doesn't work on the cushingoid coats?

Which is why the clipper manufactures don't say "Clip Wet"..it only works on thin coats. Most of us are cliping winter woolies.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Which is why the clipper manufactures don't say "Clip Wet"..it only works on thin coats. Most of us are cliping winter woolies.
    This is kinda what I was figuring......hair 'type'... We'd always slick shear the sheep just damp, not soaking...but that was cuz at that point they were very short already.

Maybe I'll try it later again, but prolly not haha.

Actually, the only one of my horses that requires clipping I am sure is some sort of yak cross (thick and rather coarse hair all over), and I've clipped her wet -- with awesome results -- the last 5 years.

I wonder if type of clippers makes a difference. Mine are big ol' Osters, a bit on the heavy side. I've never tried a body clip with my Andis; I use that set for small trims: head, ears, bridle path, fetlock touch-ups.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Default coloredhorse

i specifically searched the forums to make sure wet clipping with andis 2 speed works. there were several posts by cothers who successfully used andis when wet clipping. so i don't think it's the clippers. although, maybe it's a combination of the clippers and the coat type??? although i'm pretty sure JanWeber used big clippers when she tried wet clipping her cushings horse and that clearly didn't help...

I find it rather fascinating that--as with many other things--some people have huge success with wet clipping and others have huge disaster. Makes me curious about all the conditions that could factor in. I would love to hit upon some formula ... Clipper Brand A times Coat Type Q times Blade Style R divided by Planetary Alignment L equals success, or something like that!
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

I agree Coloredhorse...it's weird!

I use these clippers (Lister Stablemates) with the 'medium' blades.

Normally I clip dry, but tried wet this time. Blades were freshly resharpened at Premier 1 Supplies.

Gelding has what I'd call an average hair coat. Wet, the blades just jammed up....chop job clip. let him dry, smooth as butter.

Mare has a very short and DENSE hair coat. Wet, it was 'working' but still getting stopped up...pulling on her hair, really annoying her (both of the horses actually). Let her dry and it was smooth.

This year was the only time I tried wet clipping...otherwise always been dry. I even did someone's dirty horse once (dry) and while difficult to get through, the job was good.

And to just clarify with my situation..it wasn't a disaster, but the areas I tried wet were reminiscent of a clip job done by someone who doesn't really know HOW to clip. I was embarrassed by it cuz again, I pride myself in clipping haha.

I tried wet clipping. No joy. I have the big Oster Clipmaster. It works great on a dry coat, even a dirty coat, but with a wet coat it's a disaster.

Default coloredhorse

i bet one of our resident science minds could devise that formula in a heartbeat

Just did 2 yesterday- wet clips w/ same 10# blade.
    It WON'T work if there is any dander or soap residue.
    Cushings pony washed w/ rubber toothed curry-Orvus-but had to rewash some spots especially haunches, where there was some wet dander.
    I do spray before clipping w/ showsheen/MTG mixture although not necesary.
    Showing saturday/sunday-so did for that reason.

My attempt a few months ago was a success. Used old Oster clippers, new blade. VERY long winter coat on a TB mare. I would try it again!

I always shampoo and sarvis curry rinse very well comb coat with Sarvis in direction of hair and rinse again then saturate coat with show sheen comb...and wet its a train wreck...dry a breeze w/ virtualy no marks...All mine ate TB's under 10 with nice coats rugged all winter.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Nope. Best wet clip jobs I've done are on a pony that could giver a yak a run for his money.

However, I've never had any love for a wet clip job since I replaced clipmasters with my Lister stars. Just awful. But if I ever end up with another pair of clipmasters again, yak or thin coat, wet clipping will be my preferred method! (And I still like clipping the legs wet when I use my A-5s)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have never, ever heard of wet clipping before. I think I learn something all the time.

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable