The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sweet Feed?

A couple people at my barn have recently started giving their horses sweet feed every day. I'm not sure why they do this, but I just found out that one of the boarders had given it to my horse a few times. I'm not sure why they would do that, and I'm going to talk to them soon, but before I overreact I just wanted to check with y'all on here! My horse is 19 and is semi-retired (I just flat him lightly a few times a week), but are there any reasons that he shouldn't be getting sweet feed? One person told me something about him possibly colicing from the high concentration of feed, but I know how barn rumors go, so I don't know whether or not to believe that. I'm still going to ask people not to give him anything when I'm not there to give permission.

Heck yea I'd ask them not to feed your horse without your permission. High volumes of concentrates can cause colic; there are a lot of effects of feeding feeds high in starches. Look it up, pick yourself up a good nutrition book or even google some good sources It all depends on how much they are actually feeding, though. Of course I would ask them not to feed without permission (in case), but without knowing how much (etc), you can't really know the potential full effects, either (eta: a handful or two, even a little more, is not going to hurt, but I would be concerned that they could possibly be feeding more, and that they are doing it without my permission, so that line of thinking by them could translate to other feeds or areas, etc).
    Last edited by naturalequus; Apr. 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    A couple people at my barn have recently started giving their horses sweet feed every day. I'm not sure why they do this, but I just found out that one of the boarders had given it to my horse a few times. I'm not sure why they would do that, and I'm going to talk to them soon, but before I overreact I just wanted to check with y'all on here! My horse is 19 and is semi-retired (I just flat him lightly a few times a week), but are there any reasons that he shouldn't be getting sweet feed? One person told me something about him possibly colicing from the high concentration of feed, but I know how barn rumors go, so I don't know whether or not to believe that. I'm still going to ask people not to give him anything when I'm not there to give permission.
    Big amounts in a horse not used to it can cause colic and in insulin resistant horses it isn't a good idea....but for years and years the standard "grain" for horses (at least out here) was COB (corn, oats, barley) with molasses ("wet" COB) and horses did just fine on it. Chances are a handful now and then wouldn't cause a huge problem so maybe a polite note on his stall to "please don't feed the horse any treats or feed other than his usual meals" would do the job.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I used to have a boarding business, and now I only only have 2 boarders, but I always had a rule that they were not allowed to go in the feed or hay room and feed their horses without asking. If they are using their own sweet feed, I'm sure a little bit (like a handful or 2) won't hurt. I agree with coloredcowhorse--a note might be a good idea, but instead of singling them out, maybe just post the note in a common area so it applies to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    A couple people at my barn have recently started giving their horses sweet feed every day. I'm not sure why they do this, but I just found out that one of the boarders had given it to my horse a few times. I'm not sure why they would do that, and I'm going to talk to them soon, but before I overreact I just wanted to check with y'all on here!
    Well, no one should ever feed anyone else's horse without permission. Period.

As for why they feed it to their horses....define sweet feed? I feed Triple Crown Senior to all my horses and I'd say it's probably sweet and delicious. (Smells that way to me!) But it is not necessarily higher in NSCs than other "non-sweet" looking/smelling feeds.

Two different issues, of course, but I wouldn't condemn "sweet" feeds in general.

In fact, TC Sr is quite low in NSC - around 11%.

A typical sweet feed would be 30%+ IME, probably higher if it's "grains covered in molasses". Even many pelleted and textured feeds are quite high, even over 40% in several cases.

So yes, one must define "sweet feed".

That doesn't excuse them trying to feed it to your horse though, that's a whole separate issue.

However, even if it's the sweetest of sweet sweet feeds, a handful isn't going to hurt 99.999% of horses.

rodeogal75 Guest

if your horse only got a handfull nothing to worry about. Now that said, no one should feed your horse unless you tell them too.
    I have been feeding sweet feed -12% sweet with pulp in it, for over 20 yrs. have NEVER had a problem with colic, IR , founder NOTHING. Now i have had a problem with safe choice, and RB's.

A handful of two wont hurt him, and I suspect thats what he/she meant when it was said that your horse was given some "sweet feed". It's the equivelant of a "horse cookie". However in an extremely sensitive horse a few handfuls can be bad, this is most common in small laminitic or insulin resistant ponies. I've seen a pony founder badly after a handful of sweet feed but that pony had a BAD history or laminitis and was epicly fat despite being on a "starvation diet" (joking of course) for a long time.

A handful or two is fine but if anyone is FEEDING sweet feed (or any feed) by the quart of pound that is NOT ok and you should definetly have a talk with your Barn Manager. If your horse is fit and healthy then there is no reason to change your feeding routine, as the say "it ain't broken don't fix it".