The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WTF is wrong with these religious fanatics?

Really, what is more irrational? Burning a Quran because of your fundamentalist religious beliefs? It's just a piece of paper!! Yet you know that all across the world, millions of radical fundamentalists every bit as insane as you are are going to go in to a murderous rage and murder people because that piece of paper was burned. Members of your government at the highest levels have asked you not to do it. Members of the armed forces risking their lives to protect your right to burn it will themselves be put at risk.

Fatherless children and ruined lives--because you burned that piece of paper.

Which brand of fundamentalism is more irrational?

WTF kind of religion is that?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Religion, as a whole, is pretty gosh darned silly.

There, I said it.

He's a coward and knows he won't face the retribution himself but he'll get a ton of media attention. The media court him and feed him and carry his message, his worthless message, to the far corners of the earth. He should be shunned, and made invisible to the good people of the world.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

GoforaGallop-
    I completely agree, nothing has caused more wars, pain, and suffering than "religious" causes.

I hate religion. Don't even get me started. I will sit on my hands and refrain from posting on this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I hate religion. Don't even get me started. I will sit on my hands and refrain from posting on this thread!
    FAIL!

A helmet saved my life.

What would be the reaction if someone said, I'm going to use a copy of King James's book like an old Sears Catalog? It's just words on paper after all.
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Religion, as a whole, is pretty gosh darned silly.

There, I said it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Threebars View Post
    What would be the reaction if someone said, I'm going to use a copy of King James's book like an old Sears Catalog? It's just words on paper after all.
    Well, the fundamentalists wouldn't like it...that's for sure. As for me, whatever floats your boat.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default If I remember correctly,

He SAID he was gonna do this, but he DIDN'T do it. So this is a bit of humbuggery in the first place. Just like the 'flushing down the toilet a bit of Quoran. IT NEVER HAPPENED. People are crazy.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    He SAID he was gonna do this, but he DIDN'T do it. So this is a bit of humbuggery in the first place. Just like the 'flushing down the toilet a bit of Quoran. IT NEVER HAPPENED. People are crazy.
    Nope, they did. They scrapped the idea last year.... but as of March 20, 2011, it happened. Sad, but true. And yes, People are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Really, what is more irrational? Burning a Quran because of your fundamentalist religious beliefs? It's just a piece of paper!! Yet you know that all across the world, millions of radical fundamentalists every bit as insane as you are are going to go in to a murderous rage and murder people because that piece of paper was burned. Members of your government at the highest levels have asked you not to do it. Members of the armed forces risking their lives to protect your right to burn it will themselves be put at risk.

Fatherless children and ruined lives--because you burned that piece of paper.

Which brand of fundamentalism is more irrational?

WTF kind of religion is that?

Had the discussion here yesterday or so, on whether he is responsible for the 12 or so deaths...

IMHO he has blood on his hands, just the same as if he had pulled the trigger himself.

Do I think that whole incident is sane? Hell no!
    (Southpark hit the ball out of the park on that one, but those episodes can't be viewed freely anymore either, because of the same issue...)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Threebars View Post
    This is not a joke: I was once screamed by a friend's mother at for leaving a copy of the Bible sitting on the floor. Then she picked it up and saw it was the NRSV and was like, "Well it's still not okay, but at least it isn't the KJV!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Had the discussion here yesterday or so, on whether he is responsible for the 12 or so deaths...

IMHO he has blood on his hands, just the same as if he had pulled the trigger himself.

Do I think that whole incident is sane? Hell no!
    (Southpark hit the ball out of the park on that one, but those episodes can't be viewed freely anymore either, because of the same issue...)
    Totally agree. Actions do not happen in a void. Obviously the greater responsibility is on the folks who did the violence, but performing an action that you know will likely lead to violence still leaves you morally culpable IMO. Especially from a Christian standpoint, at least the way I practice it.

But then, I've never understood the book burnings/preaching of hatred for other faiths at all. A church in my area really likes to do it. The pastor once did a series where he preached about the heresy and sinfulness of all the other churches in the area. My mother is a minister and she came into work the Monday after he targeted her church to find it vandalized, and hers was not the only one that got that treatment. He also holds regular book burnings for things like the Harry Potter books, Dungeons and Dragons, etc. It's also one of the biggest churches in the city.

edit: the churches he targeted in that series were other Christian churches. He also regularly preaches hatred and intolerance for Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists, etc. but I think he doesn't give addresses of various temples/mosques/other locations. I do know that a member of his congregation was once arrested for vandalizing the city Peace and Justice Center where they do such nefarious things as...feed the homeless, organize city beautification campaigns and community gardens, and rent space to the Unitarians.
    Last edited by CosMonster; Apr. 3, 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    He also holds regular book burnings for things like the Harry Potter books, Dungeons and Dragons, etc. It's also one of the biggest churches in the city.
    It's dannnggeerrrouuusss reading, them there Harry Potter books!

Personally, I'm all for going to hell if it means that I got to enjoy those books and some midnight premiers dressed as a Hogwarts student! Totally worth it.

Koran-Burning Pastor Unrepentant in Face of Furor
    By LIZETTE ALVAREZ
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — His church’s membership is down to just a few of the faithful. He is basically broke. Some of his neighbors wish him ill. And his head, he said, carries a bounty.

Yet Terry Jones, the pastor who organized a mock trial that ended with the burning of a Koran and led to violence in Afghanistan, remained unrepentant on Saturday. He said that he was “saddened” and “moved” by the deaths, but that given the chance he would do it all over again.

“It was intended to stir the pot; if you don’t shake the boat, everyone will stay in their complacency,” Mr. Jones said in an interview at his office in the Dove World Outreach Center. “Emotionally, it’s not all that easy. People have tried to make us responsible for the people who are killed. It’s unfair and somewhat damaging.”

Violent protests against the burning continued on Saturday in Kandahar, Afghanistan, where 9 people were killed and 81 injured. The previous day, 12 people were killed when a mob stormed a United Nations building in Mazar-i-Sharif, though on Saturday the top United Nations official in Afghanistan blamed Taliban infiltrators for the killings. He said the victims had been deliberately murdered rather than killed by an out-of-control mob.

“Did our action provoke them?” the pastor asked. “Of course. Is it a provocation that can be justified? Is it a provocation that should lead to death? When lawyers provoke me, when banks provoke me, when reporters provoke me, I can’t kill them. That would not fly.”

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    It's dannnggeerrrouuusss reading, them there Harry Potter books!

Personally, I'm all for going to hell if it means that I got to enjoy those books and some midnight premiers dressed as a Hogwarts student! Totally worth it.
    Heathen...I missed out on the D&D...but hell (pun unavoidable) I play WoW....

It's all good, I am cold most of the time anyhow!
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Heathen...I missed out on the D&D...but hell (pun unavoidable) I play WoW....

It's all good, I am cold most of the time anyhow!
    One of my favorite cartoons showed two guys in hell. One says to the other, "At least there's no flavored coffee."

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    One of my favorite cartoons showed two guys in hell. One says to the other, "At least there's no flavored coffee."
    ROFLMAO!!!!

I got this mental image of people putting 12-sided dice on their loved ones' bodies after death instead of the old custom of putting coins on the eyes to pay the ferryman...that way the poor nerds will be able to play D&D in Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I got this mental image of people putting 12-sided dice on their loved ones' bodies after death instead of the old custom of putting coins on the eyes to pay the ferryman...that way the poor nerds will be able to play D&D in Hell.
    Or his go-to deck of Magic cards.
    I think I will have to make due with a Murloc plushy...