The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default types of jumps

Hi All!! my friend and I are in the process of building a schooling cross country course on her property. What different types of jumps are there? We are both new to it and have limited exposure. So far, we are working on a bank, ditch, a brush box, a coop, a rolltop, and logs. a water trap is not practical so we will have to trailer out to school that. what else is commonplace on a course?

Recommend these for resources:

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Build-C...1845297&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Country-...1845297&sr=8-2

Great books and they cover all the safety aspects as well.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

There are only a few basic types of fences, just different ways to create them with different materials. You've got your ditch, bank, coop, wall, brush fence, corner, and water run-through. Pretty much everything falls under one of those categories. Just for the record, I'm counting trakehners as walls or coops, as they are jumped the same.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

i just ordered one of the suggested books but while I wait for it to arrive and be read, what is a trakhener?

a trakehner is a floating log over a ditch. http://poplarplacefarm.com/Prelimina.../prelim14.html
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

scroll down on the usea website omnibus and check out the HT website links. Many of them will have photos of their courses at the different levels - many ideas there.

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=calendar

Try to make a couple of fences with some diagonal or vertical wood face fronts, not just horizontal. (tiger traps etc) It looks different to the horses. Shingling looks different too.

Add a table (or loading dock style) to your list.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Cross-country jumps

Here are some examples the barn where I board.

Thanks all!! I got my book today!! Great ideas everyone. On a side note I used a power tool for the first time! I am a city girl living in the country. My idea of being handy is using a bridle hook as a corkscrew!! It's amazing what two women with a tractor can do!

Just as an introduction...there are three basic types of XC fences, I think. Height, width, and combination of heighth and width.
    Plain old width is a ditch.
    Height is a three-rail fence, think simple vertical.
    Combination would be where most of the rest of the fences fit, such as trakehner, coops, etc.
    Think like a horse when you build these things. How are they situated? Is there a clear ground line? What is the footing like on approach, and landing? Will the approaches and landings hold up with use? Is there a focal point before and after? Is it inviting, or does it suck a horse down to the base...or create the impression of a false ground line?
    I know that the portable jumps today are really loved by many people because they can be moved and are flexible in terms of situation. Consider making some portables (www.bitofbritain.com has some pictured built by EQB.)
    If you have a tractor you can move them.

There is nothing easier than a log, or various logs in different sizes, situated about a pasture, and those are great introductory fences. Raise them up off the ground with notched log chunks; stack three and make a little bit more jump; take the bark off and paint white; leave the bark on, etc. There is a lot you can do with logs.

I always try to make xc obstacles approachable from both sides because I don't have a lot of land and sometimes need to jump it both ways. Sometimes just the addition of some dark mulch and bright plastic flowers from the dollar store creates a whole new look to the fence.
    As far as XC fences online: Difficult Run Pony Club's website has a lot of jumps from Frying Pan Park on it, I think. Olney Farms last year did a bunch of photos of their horse trial jumps. I've got some pictures of Carousel Farm's course last year (it is being rebuilt for this year, however.) http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...untry%20jumps/
    I wish you could come over and build some for me! I'm envious of your enthusiasm!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Very interesting idea with painting the logs. We also didn't consider the approach both ways. Excellent idea. Then we can mix up the course alot more. We are just getting started so most of our fences will be around the 2 feet mark. We are attempting to build mini replicas of the basic jumps so that we get used to riding and seeing them. As we progress, we will add the scarier, higher stuff. And my enthusiam is based on a simple rewards system- each jump completed is celebrated with a margarita (or two)!!!