The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why no coops any more?

NOT meant to degenerate into a "back in the day" thread - honest! - but watching the Hunter Derby last night I confess I did find myself wondering why we never see coops in the hunterz any more. Why did this style of jump fall so far out of favor? Hey, I hated them TOO (and flattened more than a couple in my day!), but they still seem like a legitimate question to ask... So why are they never used any more?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Safety. The base-wide design means the jump won't fall, the horse will.

Interesting... I can't say I ever saw a horse fall over one. Scramble, yes; knock it over, oh HECK yes (pick a decade and that horse was probably mine!), get "stuck in the middle" on occasion, but I honestly don't think I ever saw a horse fall...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Too cumbersome to move and to adjust for course heights. You put more than one rail on top and it becomes a vertical (IMHO), so you'd to be swapping out coops for almost every section. And, a 4' coop is really, really heavy!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Yeah, THAT makes more sense. Still, I'd love to see one in the Hunter Derbies. It'd make a nice change!

My SO built my a 2'9 coop (so smallish) and its very, very cumbersome Gets a hard, clean jump - the horse does not want to hit it. Smart horse

I was just wondering that same thing, and glad to get the answer. We have an old one hanging out at our place, and I have to admit that seeing it gives me a little nostalgic thrill.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

We built a roll top and a coop last year, both in two sections, with holes in the sides to make them easier to move. Love the look in the ring, and love the jump we get over them. Only about 2'6".
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

They use one almost every year at the USEF Medal Finals

I remember a girl MANY years ago who spent the summer flat on her back in bed after her pony flipped over a coop and squished her. I think she had a broken pelvis, but she was lucky it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Gets a hard, clean jump - the horse does not want to hit it. Smart horse

I love solid fences for this reason. Not to mention, I event, so solid fences are a given in my world. You get the real power and careful jumping you desire over solid obstecles. The horse can judge them better too, as compared to pole jumps which can be deceiving.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

You should come to my area. One of the managers rents jumps a lot from the same guy - and the same course designer always sets up a 3 to a 2 across the diagonal usually using coops at all 3 jumps. Biggest looking line at every show.

We jump coops and roll tops at home. I'm trying to remember if I've seen them at shows. I think I have...but probably, it hasn't been too often.

I'll have to start paying attention. I worry more about the height of the jump than what it's made up with.

I love 'em, but they sure are a bitch to schlep around the ring!
    Y'all ain't right!

We see them from time to time. Have a couple at our barn in fact. They are indeed heavy, nasty things to deal with when setting the course. HATE them for that! We also see a lot of roll tops. One venue we show at regularly has the new plastic type - it's not bad to set but will definitely get a horse to look at carefully. Height is hard, too, to adjust with a solid filler like that.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

We did jump them in Wellington this winter. They just must have opted not to use them in the derby.

One of my horses once hit the top and stepped in the middle of a coop, then dragged it halfway around the arena in a panic. It was a small one but she clearly didn't have the judgment of goodmorning's horse. Needless to say she did not end up a jumper, and I haven't been a fan of coops ever since. I had a friend who had a similar incident but her horse had the sense to just stand there and wait for someone to remove the jump from her leg. They look nice and *most* horses get a good strong jump over it, but I can't really say I miss them.

I watched the Derby online and wondered the same thing WA.

I giggled thinking to myself to truly mimic a honest to goodness feild hunter they need to have a few cows in a pen on the side, if not loose in the arena, a few sheep/goats somewhere in the line of vision and a steep bank to go down. Otherwise, those were beautiful horses and a joy to watch. I do wish if the gals are going to wear a shadbelly they would wear regular breeches. Low cut breeches with a belt take away from the elegance.

Could you imagine if there were cows in a pen? I bet some of those horses would lose their mind. . .!!! and a few that could care less. I guess it would all depend on their upbringing!!

We jump them at every local show.

The barn where I lesson has two-one at 2'3", and the other at 2'9".