The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default JRT Breeders - Mid-Atlantic?

We lost our beloved 14 yr old JRT very recently. She was a family member and we miss her terribly.

I know I will eventually need another JRT. I will look at russell rescue and the shelters around me. If either of those don't work out, I'll check with breeders.

Can anyone recommend JRT breeders in the Mid-Atlantic? I prefer the long-legged JRTs and I want a female.

Thank you.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Hi Sparky Boy,
    I'm sending your post to a friend who can help you out
    And she's located in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCity View Post
    Hi Sparky Boy,
    I'm sending your post to a friend who can help you out
    And she's located in MD.
    Thank you. I am heart-broken right now but know I will NEED another JRT in my life.

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I currently show JRT's (Jack Russell Club of America) and see a lot of excellent breeders that often look for homes for quality JRT's (free or very low cost, usually with spay/neuter agreement) when their kennels overload. I have placed a few of them and keep in touch with the breeders. When you are ready for a new Jack, please get in touch with me and I will help you find a good young dog or pet quality puppy. It's always hard to lose a dog you love.

There is Briarpatch in Millers and Muscle Russell in New Windsor, both are JRTCA breeders so only long legs.

A good friend of mine has a BP bitch, she is a wonderful, smart, very typey little girl.

If you go to the JRTCA website (just search JRTCA) they have a list of breeders. Spend some time on the site too, it's great!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Another vote for both Briarpatch and Muscle Russell. I don't know how much breeding Briarpatch is doing anymore, but they frequently have rescue/foster dogs available. Muscle Russell usually has new stock each year at the trials, so I think they are more actively breeding, but you should check with both.

Russell Rescue (www.russellrescue.org) is great for national rescue, in case you want to move to Iowa, then adopt. Russell Refuge (www.russellrefuge.org) is located in NY state and has a lovely selection of terriers currently. What I like best about Refuge is that it is a small organization run by Dale Mountain who used to do the Jasper Publication calendar. Those dogs are really profiled and handled well, so you can be pretty sure you'll get what's you're expecting.

Rok&Rol really does know everyone, so keep her in mind.

So sorry for the loss of your girl. I have one who just turned 14 and am dreading the day she leaves me. Fortunately even with her heart problems, she's clearly saying she's not ready to go just yet. Nothing completely fills the hole the special ones leave in our hearts, but if we can open our heart to another, they create their own special place in it and fill our lives again with love.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thank you everyone.

I looked at many of the breeder sites on JRTCA. I've also spent entirely too much time looking at petfinder. I'd love a puppy but I think one with some training might be a better idea.

I asked my husband if he thought it was too soon to start looking. I know he'd rather wait but will leave the decision to me. Like Kryswyn said, I have a hole in my heart that needs filling.

Rok&Rol - I will contact you.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Apr. 3, 2011 at 09:58 PM.