The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hester Guest

Default US horse whisperer taming Dartmoor Pony in UK

Update: I got the URLs wrong - sorry. Hopefully corrected now

Over the winter here in the UK there was a great BBC tv series "Edwardian Farm", filmed on and near Dartmoor in Devon, (where Steven Spielberg filmed some of his War Horse film). It featured lots of draft horses on the farm, as well as a horse whsiperer taming a Dartmoor Pony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfjjIqniPmI from 9:50 -13.20 is about rounding up the Dartmoor ponies off the moor;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBsgg...eature=related from 9:20 - 14:45 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdTuT...eature=related from 1:50 - 4:44 and 5:59 - 10:12 is about the horse whisperer taming the pony. Magical.
    Last edited by Hester; Apr. 3, 2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: correcting urls (I hope)

videos not found

Hester Guest

Sorry 7HL - I'm new to all this. Hopefully I've put the correct URLs up now.

THANK YOU so much for sharing those videos.
    I just started watching, and having lived in England, I very much enjoyed the scenery as well as the lifestyle.

Really enjoyable and educational. I never knew you just went out and got yourself a wild dartmoor pony!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

PS...welcome to COTH.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Modern tack, shop-bought lunge whip...whip in rope halter by mistake.
    Nevertheless, lovely scenery and something I will enjoy watching if I see it on tv.

As an aside, if anybody is in UK near the New Forest, do drive to a favorite haunt of ours - No Man's Land (yes, there is a signpost and everything) where there is a pub you can sit outside and the New Forest ponies will come right up to you.

I don't why people feel the need to label every thing in a cowboy hat an accent "Horse Whispering". I was a raised with these techniques, we never called it Horse Whispering (TM) or Natural Horsemanship (TM). This guy is a good HORSEMAN, I see no need to call Horsemanship "Whispering/Natural" or otherwise. Meh.

lol There's nothing "whispery" about that. I hope people don't actually think that sort of handling is special or unusual in anyway. A little NH, yes.

Edit: Uhh... did anyone notice the pony suddenly acquired an actual halter at about 4:25 in the third video? He just had the rope around his head and then the camera went back and he was wearing a real rope halter. Strange...
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.