The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pet Insurance

Do you have it for your dog? If so who did you go through? Pros and cons ? Been thinking about it for my Aussie boy- because just like with horses you never know. Watched my Mom shell out 1,000's of dollars to help her dog through knee surgery and then glaucoma(ended up having to remove a eye).
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I have Pets Best and have been very happy...paid for my dog's cataract surgery and now just paid for her emergency trip to the hospital.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Yep - highly recommend Trupanion - google them. Cover 90% of illnesses and injuries. Will not cover routine yearly exams, vaccines. You pick your deductible. We have 3 dogs on it with only $100 deductible - one is 12 years old! Very reasonable rates compared to what we shelled out last year with one dog on chemo, and one dog needing emergency surgery for ingesting bad things Would have saved us THOUSANDS.

They even cover chemo/cancer treatment, torn ACL surgeries. Since we seem to spend $200+ every time we go to the vet around here (VA), we are paying a bit more for the low deductible.

Their customer service and agents are excellent, and very easy to work with online.

I have petplan. They paid out over $10,000 for my one poor dog. I don't understand why so few people have pet insurance these days- the days of a "savings account" to cover pet health care are gone. You can run up a bill of thousands in a few minutes in the pet ER- do you really have a savings account of tens of thousands just sitting around to cover these costs in case? Enroll your puppies and kittens and horses the day you acquire them.

I have VPI, $250 deductible for accidents and it covers part of most well care. After what I spent with my cocker and collie on their last 6 months of their lives, I decided to buy it for my younger two.

The cocker and collie had been excluded because of continuing problems with Lyme disease.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks- I guess I will also talk to my vets and see who they have worked with and who they like. I will definitely check out the ones that were recomended by you guys.
    I started thinking about this last night and with times like they are I don't want to worry about be able to cover something catastrophic- little things no problem.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I have petplan. $100 dollar deductible, 100% coverage over that, I think I have the gold plan. I pay somewhere between $30-40/month for my dog. It doesn't cover routine exams/health care, but I have a friend that just spent well over $30,000 last year rehabbing her dog, who had some sort of paralysis issue. She didn't have insurance. It's great that she had the $ to spend- I sure don't, but can afford the premiums for insurance. Pet plan also covers things that other companies consider "genetic" and won't cover.