The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Health Insurance---Update, I got insurance,

***Thanks to everyone that helped me with terminology and the jargon that goes along with buying insurance.

Found a great plan, covers only what I need and allows me to eat AND afford the insurance.

Thanks again !

I am in my 30's (mid 30's) and I am a full time student, work part time jobs, was and still is in the horse industry since I was a little tot.

I have only had health insurance when one of my employers offered it, that was 5 years ago.

I figured that I really need to re budget my finances and get insurance for myself.

I do not plan on having children, I am very healthy, do not smoke, eat right, and work out....I am healthy as a horse!

I was looking at quotas last night and the monthly premiums are insane! $5,000 deductible, $35-40 copays, what the H*!L is coinsurance?

I cannot understand the jargon and what plans would be good for me.

So I need your CoTHy advice on what to do.

I am single, no kids, and I have no history of medical problems.

Why is it so much money?
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Apr. 22, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: got insurance!

Health insurance is EXTREMELY expensive these days...because the cost of health care is very high.

Coinsurance is the percentage you are expected to pay for certain bills, it usually doesn't apply for simple office visits, but does apply to tests, imaging, surgery and inpatient hospital stays. There will be an "out of pocket maximum" to go with it. So, if the plan says "20% coinsurance" and "$8,000 out of pocket max", that means you pay your deductible, your copays and 20% of the sorts of things I mentioned above, until you've paid $8,000 in one year, then they pay everything. My insurance is similar, but I do get a " freebie" mammogram every year and my annual PCP exam and annual gyn exam are not subject to co-insurance or deductible, just the $35 copay....they WANT me to do those things!

If you are healthy, what you are protecting yourself against is not really regular medical bills, but something catastrophic...a serious accident, a cancer diagnosis, a high risk pregnancy/birth, etc...where the bills could run to millions of dollars, leaving you no hope of paying them and risking your future ability to buy a home or borrow money for other reasons.

So, in your case, if you are healthy and can normally pay your routine medical expenses out of pocket, you'd be fine with a plan with a high deductible, coinsurance, etc...to keep the premium costs down. What you would want to do is start banking money to pay that out of pocket max should a "catastrophe" occur, so you won't be sitting on even my hypothetical $8K in debt after all is said and done.
    Last edited by Canaqua; Apr. 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: more

Some companies like Starbucks offer health insurance to part time employees. I believe Target and Lowes do also.

I slipped in the garage 6 years ago. The bills were $30,000
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Recommend shopping around, check on when providers have open enrollment periods. Our family of 4 - $1000 deductible, $10 co-pay (per office visit). This is no perscription, vision or dental, those really add up and you have to decide if they are of real value, if you have real use for them or could you pay the office visit fee just for a check up/cleaning couple times a year compared to what the actual premium is, of course there are alway "emergency" visits to consider, but remember at least with vision if it is a medical necessity(injury) your medical coverage may pay for it. Lots to consider to get the best value.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

thanks guys, this is super !! So I should be leaning towards a larger deductible and a decent copay/coinsurance to maintain a lower monthly prem. I just have such a hard time justifying a $200 monthly prem. just in case I get hurt.

and of course I will shop around. I am not in any rush.

I've lived without insurance since 1992. I cannot (never could since then) afford it. I am not a lean mean fit fighting machine, so in addition to being way younger than me you are also in a much better place physically as well as financially than I am.

This is how I've coped: I went to a local MD on those rare occasions when I could not live with my sinusitis a day longer to get a script for generic antibiotics. I paid the $50 or $60 out of pocket and got $4 drugs from Wal-Mart. I didn't see a OB/GYN. Hey, I wasn't using my plumbing, and didn't have symptoms of anything. Occasionally, I signed up for scientific studies that gave me a free exam to see if I qualified. Since I passed, I assumed I was healthy

Just yesterday I went to a LifeLine Screening and had 5 non-invasive tests done to check my plaque levels, bone density, risk of aortic and abdominal anuerism, and peripheral artery disease, as well as 2 blood tests for lipids and glucose. All for only $199.00. BARGAIN! This is something my fiance'es MD had told me to look into, and just a week later I happened to receive a promo for a local screening day.

Apparently (final results in 3 weeks) the screenings indicate no problem, however my blood test results mean I should consult a doctor and get started on some cholesterol lowering drugs and some dietary changes. Fortunately, I hope to get on my fiancées health plan as soon as we're married.

If you decide to get insurance, good luck to you. I just have never been able to justify the cost of "what if" vs. I need food on the table and gas in the car.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Where do you live? How much is insane? People who have gone "bare" without insurance usually have higher premiums because it's understood that they have probably put off preventative care.

See if your college offers a student policy, if you can get any kind of group policy it will be less expensive than and individual.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Laura,

The school does offer insurance to their students, but at 35 I am too old. The cut of age is 27.

I am in the state of Fl, but will be in Pa for grad school in 2012. Perhaps I should just hold off.

I think that $200-350 a month for minimal coverage is a lot for "just in case"

Hopefully I misunderstood. Did you say you had trouble justifying 200 a month? Really? If you have a quote for that, take it. $2400 a yr is a bargain. One trip to the emergency room for a sprained ankle can cost more than that.

I'm sorry, I'm sure your budget is tight. But that is pretty reasonable, even for high deductible coverage.

I juatvread your last comment. Sorry, but you're part of the problem. You have a responsibility to plan for the just in case. What happens if you're not covered and have a catastrophe? You go bankrupt or the rest of us pay for your delinquincy through our premiums. Possibly both. We all have things we'd rather do with the money, beu sometimes you just need to do the responsible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I juatvread your last comment. Sorry, but you're part of the problem. You have a responsibility to plan for the just in case. What happens if you're not covered and have a catastrophe? You go bankrupt or the rest of us pay for your delinquincy through our premiums. Possibly both. We all have things we'd rather do with the money, beu sometimes you just need to do the responsible thing.
    OH GIVE ME A [edit] BREAK. YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR INSURANCE, VOTE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM!

I don't expect anyone to pay for my health care except myself. If it means I die, well, guess what? I don't believe in half the stuff the doctors want to inflict on patients and I HATE insurance companies just on principle. My fiance' survived prostate cancer because he happens to have great coverage including the state of the art CyberKnife non-surgical week long pinpoint radiation. My friend's dad died from the same thing because his coverage didn't include CyberKnife. The wait for him to have 9 weeks of traditional radiation treatment allowed the cancer to spread to his lungs. He didn't live 4 months after his treatment.

If I paid for my own health insurance, you'd STILL be paying for me, because I'd be on welfare.
    and PS, please proof read your posts.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: language
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I juatvread your last comment. Sorry, but you're part of the problem. You have a responsibility to plan for the just in case. What happens if you're not covered and have a catastrophe? You go bankrupt or the rest of us pay for your delinquincy through our premiums. Possibly both. We all have things we'd rather do with the money, beu some
    times you just need to do the responsible thing.
    Ditto. One of the reasons medical costs are so high...paying for people who don't have insurance.

And yes, I voted for the health care reformers and I think it didn't go far enough.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I apologize if I offend someone with my inquiry.

I guess I just wanted a little insight on what was "average" for a situation like mine, and I am taking responsibility for my actions.

I am NOT on welfare, use food stamps, suck money from the government, nor do I have a bunch of fatherless children mooching off the system.

I eat ramen noodles, drive a car with 250,000 miles on it, I dont have "luxuries" like cable tv. or a TV for that matter. Whats a vacation? And have worked hard in the horse industry with little to show for it, because that is the life of a show groom and I except that and I am not complaining.

I am sorry if I come off a little snippy right now, but a simple question does not justify posters calling me irresponsible when you know NOTHING about me, other than the fact that I dont have insurance.

Munchingonhay Im in a similar boat. Any good websites for comparing premiums? Do they do a credit check? Any companies to stay away from?

I'm the same age, same healthy history, same sort of employment (I'm a pro rider) and my insurance is through Golden Rule Insurance - part of United Healthcare. It is bare bones and I *think* my deductible is $10K. My monthly premium is just over $200 per month.

It is better than no insurance at all - or so I tell myself. The reality of big hospital bills is the main reason and then there is rarely a small accident that puts you in the ER when you're around horses. If it was less of a high risk sport/career, then I would increase my deductible and hopefully lower my monthly payments.

Jenny~ I just have been filling out forms and looking at the rates. I think I googled heath care quotas and a huge list came up of course. If I find an excellent site, I will PM you.

THANK YOU Tasker ! Jenny Check them out

I just got a notice saying my premiums are going up again. They already went up once directly because of the new law (I got a list of things they now had to cover, including stuff like 'pediatric psychiatric medication.') When I call to find out what I can cut out of my policy to reduce the premium I'm also going to complain about that--I'm single, I have no children and do not WANT children, I don't and never will need 99% of that crap, and if I somehow wound up reconsidering that (as children don't happen by accident unless you're incredibly stupid) I am perfectly capable of revising my coverage myself. I realize they can't do anything as it's federal mandates so I'll probably just end up dropping dental coverage (I haven't seen a dentist in years and I haven't had a cavity since I was six) and raising my deductible to $7500.

It's especially irritating after having to pay state taxes (mine are almost twice my federal) knowing a big chunk of it in this state will be going to pay for people who "can't" pay for their own care. I could have an illegitimate kid or two and I'd qualify, but I was raised better than that.

Here is my story for what it's worth:
    Quit my job 8 years ago after having kids. No more health insurance. A couple of months ago I decided, I'm getting older, I'm working with horses, what if something happens? Yes, money is tight, but I decided to get the catastrophe insurance with the high deductible. I chose Blue Shield (not sure if they are available everywhere). I pay $122/month and I still thought it was a lot because I'm healthy and haven't really needed a Dr. in 8 years. I think I've had the insurance 3 months when I messed up my hand. Several broken fingers, dislocation, lacerations and a torn tendon. Just got the bill for the emergency room: $10,000! And that doesn't count the ongoing Dr. visits. I keep thinking what if something really bad had happened and what if I hadn't gotten the insurance when I did!!!!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Here is my take on being uninsured for several years 25+
    The cost of health insurance is getting more and more expensive because medical care is incredibly costly.
    I was able to go to an immediate care facility and pay for stiches, xrays and various care for "situational occurences" more inexpensively than having an insurance plan.
    I've grown older and now it occurs to me that I might have a crisis in my life that could cost $$$$$$$$, my shoulder dislocation was 30 minutes in the ER a fast acting sedative and an exray that tallied up a nice $6000 bill.
    If you reliably self insure ($300-$500) per month set aside from now until you get sick or injured you might be OK.
    If you are judgement proof ( no personal assests to attach a lien) you are also probably ok. The problem emerges when you are taking the chance that you will remain disease and accident proof and betting those stakes toward your future.
    I think insurance companies need to be more competitive nationwide, someday the Walmart of insurance companies will offer better cheaper alternatives. Until then those of us that do not have health care provided by our employers will have to walk a fine line. BTW - off the record I am now an "employee" of a client who owns a large commercial company. The insurance provided is as great a gift as I have ever been given. I not only do the regular screenings yearly but I feel secure knowing that if some accident takes me away from my job for a time it will not devastate every asset I own.