The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pentosan....adequan??

Someone just told me about a supposedly new drug, Pentosan....that is BETTER than adequan and much cheaper. Anyone heard of it?
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Yes but it's illegal to use.

Pentosan and Adequan are completely different drugs used to treat completely different things associated with arthritis so there is no point in deciding "which one." One is a oxygen radical scrubber and the other is a chondroprotective agent. I used them SYNERGISTICALLY and not separately to control onset of arthritis. I would make sure I understood what disease condition I was treating before I chose one willy-nilly.

Pentosan is old! It used to be known in the US as Palosein (pentosan polysulfate). When we used to use it is was just as expensive as Adequan.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Yes but it's illegal to use.
    It's not illegal, it's off-label.

My vet carries Pentosan. I'm going to buy some soon.

Starting on Pentosan today, my vet recommended it over Adequan.

http://www.equineortho.colostate.edu...olysulfate.pdf
    Last edited by Lieslot; Apr. 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    It's not illegal, it's off-label.

My vet carries Pentosan. I'm going to buy some soon.
    Is your horse in a life threatening condition? If not and you are getting it compounded from your vet then its illegal. If the vet goes to the truck, pulls out a bottle of Pentosan that was compounded, I would be a bit leery about using them for anything.
    Last edited by davistina67; Apr. 2, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Default Off label use

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learni...inary-use.html
    FDA Status
    Approved for use in horses and dogs in Australia. No FDA-approved veterinary products in the United States.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-label_use
    The FDA does not have the legal authority to regulate the practice of the medicine, and the physician may prescribe a drug off label. Contrary to popular notion, it is legal in the United States and in many other countries to use drugs off label, including controlled substances such as opiates. Actiq, for example, is commonly prescribed off label even though it is a Schedule II controlled substance. While it would be legal for a physician to independently decide to prescribe a drug such as Actiq off-label, it is illegal for the company to promote off-label uses to prescribers.
    Conclusion .

Ya, and very illegal for your vet to carry the compounded drug on the truck and give it out. I think it could be a good drug, but the FDA can be a pain in the rear!

So what's the legal / illegal aspect if the vet forwards a prescription to the compounding pharmacy to be shipped to client?

Off label is NOT the same as illegal!

50% + of the drugs used in veterinary medicine are off label!

SquishTheBunny, that's sort of how I understood it from reading up on it too, but davistina67 is firmly of the opinion it's illegal.
    I would just like to know for sure the 'yes legal' or 'no illegal' if a script is forwarded to a pharmacy and then meds shipped to client.
    Someone has to know this .

Is your horse in a life threatening condition? If not and you are getting it compounded from your vet then its illegal. If the vet goes to the truck, pulls out a bottle of Pentosan that was compounded, I would be a bit leery about using them for anything.
    Please. My vet is quite wonderful, I'm not going to fire him because he's a few steps ahead of the FDA.

Off-label =/= Illegal

Lieslot, davistina is wrong. It is NOT illegal.

Ya, and very illegal for your vet to carry the compounded drug on the truck and give it out. I think it could be a good drug, but the FDA can be a pain in the rear!
    The formulation offered by Wedgewood isn't a compound - they are selling the drug from the manufacturer of the totally legal, approved drug available in Europe/Aus. At least, that was what Wedgewood informed me of

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    The formulation offered by Wedgewood isn't a compound - they are selling the drug from the manufacturer of the totally legal, approved drug available in Europe/Aus. At least, that was what Wedgewood informed me of
    Hmmmm, that is interesting. Very interesting because I talked to them last week about it. Also very interesting because it expires in 6 months which is the max length any compounded drug is labeled for. I doubt they would sell it so much cheaper then the real drug? If I have time next week I am going to call them and ask some different questions. It would seem odd that the manufacturer would allow Wedgewood to put their own label on it also.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Please. My vet is quite wonderful, I'm not going to fire him because he's a few steps ahead of the FDA.

Off-label =/= Illegal

Lieslot, davistina is wrong. It is NOT illegal.
    OK, well, if your vet wants to do things that are illegal, that is between you and him/her. Does your vet get it from overseas, or is it compounded?

There are a couple issues with something like this from what I understand, from what my vet friends know, and from and article in a magazine just last week about compounded drugs.

1. If it is compounded and used on a horse, it has to be for a life threatening condition or to relieve suffering. That is pretty black and white. Good example - Pergalide. Example of something very illegal - the knockoffs of gastrogaurd.

2. A vet can not have a compounded drug in mass to sell.

3. Using something off label is very different then getting a drug compounded to knockoff another drug. This drug is available from another country. Not in the US. If Wedgewood is compounding it and vets write scripts, then it would seem they are back to doing illegal things.

I have some vet friends that have very strong feelings about this. Later this week I will be with several other vets and if I remember I will ask them about this. Of course this might be a great drug, but if it is illegal for a vet to write a script for it to be compounded would I use that vet. Not a chance in hell!

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    So I just looked at the Wedgewood website. It even says on their site that it is compounded. Strange if they told you otherwise.

Both my competition horses live on a monthly shot of pentosan- I see better results than adequan. My vet prescribes and it has never been a problem. Do the research yourself and then ask your vet for their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancho Adobe View Post
    Both my competition horses live on a monthly shot of pentosan- I see better results than adequan. My vet prescribes and it has never been a problem. Do the research yourself and then ask your vet for their opinion.
    Agreed. Seems to have a lot of positive research and some happy clients. Darn FDA!

so the AAEP strongly recommends that vets not prescribe compounded versions of a branded label drug that is available in the US.

it's certainly NOT illegal to prescribe a non-FDA approved drug since tildren isn't yet FDA approved for horses and has been prescribed by some of the top performance vets in the US.

there's certainly some grey area but anyone can go to the AAEP site and read thru their recommendations and guidleines:

http://www.aaep.org/drug_compounding.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Give and Take View Post
    so the AAEP strongly recommends that vets not prescribe compounded versions of a branded label drug that is available in the US.

it's certainly NOT illegal to prescribe a non-FDA approved drug since tildren isn't yet FDA approved for horses and has been prescribed by some of the top performance vets in the US.

there's certainly some grey area but anyone can go to the AAEP site and read thru their recommendations and guidelines:

http://www.aaep.org/drug_compounding.htm
    That looks like a great link. I will go through it sometime soon. My understanding is that to prescribe Tildren, you need special permission. I forget what they were calling this, basically a permit for each horse and it can take months to get the permit approved for a horse. I saw an article about this two years ago. At that time if a vet was prescribing it, they were doing a huge NO-NO! Anyone know if this has come off the special permit list?