The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default paranormal romance and or vampire novels

I admit it probably started with Buffy (lo, so many years ago) but I'm addicted. Patricia Briggs, Robin McKinley -- the non evil vampire and werewolf is very attractive

You've probably read Charlaine Harris? Her Sookie Stackhouse books are what True Blood is based off of. Quite addicting IMHO.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

read them - love them , though i havent seen the show. for some reason i've gone off tv.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

you want suggestions??? I gots suggestions (and Patricia Briggs' new book was AWESOME!!! LOL)

Kim Harrison's series
    Katie MacAllister's Dark Ones and Dragon Series
    Kelly Armstrong
    Charlaine Harris
    Mary Janice Davidson
    JR Ward ( ohhh swoon) LOL
    Lyndsay Sands Argeneau novels
    Laurell K Hamilton (her Merry Gentry and Anita Blake series)
    Kathy Love has some candy like paranormal romances
    Jim Butcher's Dresden files
    Karen Chance
    Karen Marie Moaning (she has a Highlander series and a fever series, read the Highlanders first, then after you're pruned up after many cold showers read the Fever series (so you can prune up again LOL), they crossover in the last 2 books of the fever series, and Shadowfever has to be one of the best books as far as twists turns and surprises I have read in a loooong time!! )

*whew I can probably think of more but those are the best I know of right now LOL*
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

i really wish any of those were new to me - I read a lot. Keep them coming.

I too am a paranormal romance junkie can you tell
    ';;;;;;; clique

L. A. Banks
    Eileen Wilks

happy junkies

Jeaniene Frost too

How about Jennifer Estep, although I admit, I've only read one of her novels so far - I did enjoy it a lot!

Dead in the Family (Charlaine Harris) just came out in paperback. Hey - I take my thrills where I can.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

What do you like about the current crop of occult literature? Dark underbelly of society and urban hipness? Supernatural as ultimate outsider? Bitchy heroine? Animal nature inside human body?

Here's some stuff a little off the beaten path. A lot of the titles predate the Buffy stuff or were intended for the fantasy market rather than occult, which is why I wanted to know what you like about occult literature. A G rated book about a shapeshifting horse isn't going to appeal if you want to read about the nocturnal adventures of a hot vampire who swings both ways.

The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce. The darkangel needs to marry 14 girls and steal their souls to become a true vampire. When he steals the 13th girl, her servant girl comes after him. Fortunately for the servant girl, the darkangel considers her to be too ugly to be worth marrying and makes her continue working as a servant to his wives. She takes advantage of the situation to figure out how to save the souls of the girls and prevent the darkangel from turning into a full vampire.

Wolf Moon by Charles de Lint. A live and let live werewolf is pursued by a sinister sorcerer. The werewolf thinks he has found a safe haven with the kindly staff of a rural inn, but the sorcerer catches up to him and tries to turn his friends against him. This is one of de Lint's early works. I think de Lint became a better writer 10 years into his career. I personally prefer Someplace to Be Flying, a native American tinged story about an urban battle pitting the shapeshifting crow and wolf tribes against the cuckoo tribe.

The War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. When a shapeshifting dog chases her down, the guitar player for a rock band discovers she has been recruited into a war between the Seely and Unseely courts.

Love at First Bite by Christopher Moore. A spoof on the vampire genre. Tommy wants to be a great novelist. However, all he's really doing with his life is working night shift at a supermarket, where the employees entertain themselves by turkey bowling in the frozen foods aisle during the wee hours. His life becomes much more interesting when he meets a hot red head named Jody. Jody, involuntarily converted into a vampire, is finding it difficult to transact her daily business due to her nocturnal hours. She recruits Tommy as her assistant. Much mayhem follows. You Suck and Bite Me chronicle further adventures of Jody and Tommy.

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. A spoof on the hell's denizens genre. Imagine Woody Allen trying to function simultaneously as Death and as the father to an infant. Throw in a couple of hell hounds, a few demons out of Celtic legend, and a whiny goth chick to make his life more interesting.

The Changeling Prince by Vivian Vande Velde. Welland is one of many wolves, lynx, and other wild predators changed into humans and forced to work as soldiers for the sorceress Daria. Like the other changed animals, he detests Daria and would love to see her dead. Unlike the other changelings, however, he prefers his human form. But if Daria dies, he goes back to being a wolf.

The Grey Horse by R.A. MacAvoy. Shapeshifters, but no wolves or vampires. At the end of the 1800's an elderly Irish horse trainer is puzzled when he captures a beautifully trained native stallion. Who trains a horse in haute ecole dressage and then abandons it in the hills? The stallion turns out to be a shapeshifting horse fairy, a puca. The puca wants a job as stableboy, so that he can convince his much admired Maire's father that he is respectable. The stable staff don't understand why he favors the dark complexioned and dark tempered Maire instead of her shallow but lovely blond sister. His satisfaction as seeing her use her fists with the force of a horse's kick does little to convince them. Maire herself is less than impressed by his doting comparison of her to a broodmare. Of course, being a stallion and a horse fairy, he thinks an ill tempered alpha mare is the ideal mate and is determined to win her.

Dun Lady's Jess by Doranna Durgin. Again, shapeshifters but no vampires or wolves. Lady is a dun mare used as a courier mount in an alternate reality. When her rider is attacked, she is flung into our world and transformed into a human. As a human with a horse's instincts, she struggles to adjust to the transition while seeking her rider. Durgin, a dressage rider herself, goes deeper into the psychology of what a shapeshifted animal would feel than most fantasy writers do. Further books in the series are Changespell and Changespell Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Love at First Bite by Christopher Moore. A spoof on the vampire genre. Tommy wants to be a great novelist. However, all he's really doing with his life is working night shift at a supermarket, where the employees entertain themselves by turkey bowling in the frozen foods aisle during the wee hours. His life becomes much more interesting when he meets a hot red head named Jody. Jody, involuntarily converted into a vampire, is finding it difficult to transact her daily business due to her nocturnal hours. She recruits Tommy as her assistant. Much mayhem follows. You Suck and Bite Me chronicle further adventures of Jody and Tommy.

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. A spoof on the hell's denizens genre. Imagine Woody Allen trying to function simultaneously as Death and as the father to an infant. Throw in a couple of hell hounds, a few demons out of Celtic legend, and a whiny goth chick to make his life more interesting.
    While we're at novels that are a little off-beat, try Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett. Vampires, romance, humor . . . delightful.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Kresley Cole - her Immortals after Dark series is very hot and witty - has all sorts of mythic creatures - werewolves (Lykae), vampires, demons, Valkyrie, etc

I started the series on a whim but now I'm addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

I love Christopher Moore!! Lamb was also good, the Story of Jesus as told by his best friend Bif. The Lust Lizard of Melencholy cove, Love Sucks, Etc all great off beat books!

I'll definately look into the others.

Also Carpe Demon and that series by Julie Kenner, A soccer mom that is a retired demon hunter gets pulled back into duty. Very Funny cute series,

Kimberly Raye has the Dead end Dating novels that are fun and cute.

Another offbeat/wierd is Simon R Green's nightside series, very wierd but excellent series.
    ';;;;;;; clique

"A Discovery Of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. It has witches, vampires, ancient books, demons.
    Sheilah

You have to read Anne Rice--the original vampire novels. If you love detail and a whole history of it all, they're great. I think a lot of the new ones conveniently change things to make it easier to write.

Jayne Anne Krentz writting as Jayne Castle has a some good ones. The Arcane House series, Ghost Hunter series and Curtain series, all fit the paranormal genre.

All the others mentioned sound good, I'll have to try them

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

BTDT- Did you know she wrote the Vampire novels when she was an avowed Atheist, she has since found God and only writes religious themed novels. Interesting piece of trivia.

Yes the Vampire books are good, I haven't read any of her new stuff.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Oooo. I forgot Tim Powers. A writer's writer. Whenever I read him, I just wonder how the heck he managed to get from A to B and make it work.
    Last Call, Expiration Date, and Earthquake Weather. Bugsy Siegel, best known as the gangster responsible for Las Vegas, was also the Fisher King of the region. But that's just background information. In the modern era various people are willingly or reluctantly battling for the throne through card games, magic, and various kinds of treachery.
    Declare A supernatural political thriller. Andrew Hale as a child possessed some qualities which got him recruited as a spook by the Brits. What's his connection to Kim Philby, and how will he be crucial in triggering the fall of the Soviet Union?