The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to get the paint off the car??

I'm repainting my 85 Suburban that still had the factory paint. Because the paint is in poor condition in spots, it all has to come off so I can start fresh.

Only, IT WON'T BUDGE on the vertical surfaces. I've tried sanding with a power sander, scraping with a razor blade, and paint stripper. The hood and roof are all but paint-free. Portions of the sides have paint removed. But another coat of paint stripper (from a new gallon) didn't do anything at all.

Is there a certain brand of stripper that works well on vehicle paint? Or am I just going to be sanding for the rest of my life?

If it wont come off with all that, it wont come off at all. Smooth its edges out, fill in with Bondo (or whatever) and paint over it.

Im impresed that 85 Suburbans still had the factory paint!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    If it wont come off with all that, it wont come off at all. Smooth its edges out, fill in with Bondo (or whatever) and paint over it.

Im impresed that 85 Suburbans still had the factory paint!
    Pretty much this. I worked in auto parts for many years that also had a paint/body department. Working during race car season, in redneck country, you see it all. If you want a unique paint job just buy a gallon of paint (house, barn, what ever is on sale) and apply with a brush. If you put it on thick enough you won't have to worry about that pesky old paint. Bight blue house paint does seem to be popular.

But...most of the reputable body shops wet sanded to smooth the edges then filled any dings, dents or dimples. Or if you have access to a sandblaster, that also works well (if you use a sandblaster and there is a lot of body rust you just might only have the pieces that has the old paint on.). Then they used a filler primer which is great to fill in any scratches left by the sanding and to smooth out the rest of the body. Depending on what color you're painting the "Burb - some colors are more forgiving than others in showing imperfections.

You might check with your local auto paint supply store for some advice. If you have put stripper on you may need to acid wash before you apply the primer and paint to get the residue off so your paint job doesn't peel or crack.

The easiest solution is just to date someone that works in a body shop or better yet, owns one!

Well, I'm married, so don't think I can date someone into body work. Hubby might not approve!

The bottle of stripper (which really was like putting water on the truck, that's how useless this second bottle was) says to clean with mineral spirits, but it also says it will rinse off with water. I have a pressure washer, so I am going to pressure wash the whole thing before it gets painted anyway.

Dangit. Really wanted to get it down to bare metal, to make sure I got every single speck of rust.